Anyone feel like hacking a SFZ?

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: Anyone feel like hacking a SFZ?

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

SmithULTD wrote:The are 100% raw samples. The idea is for individuals to create their own sounding kit starting from the ground floor.
It's possible to EQ out the ringing overtones, but to subdue this much ringing also dramatically affects the attack. I like a sharp attack without a lot of ringing. Due to the way these drums are tuned (no damping), I think they're suited for people who like lots of ringing, because to otherwise compensate with that much EQ introduces too many artifacts. There is a limit to what post-processing can do, before post-processing itself introduces problems.

So, those tom/snare/kick samples are ultimately for folks who like ringing drums (and a number of people do).

Anyway, it's nice that you made the samples available, and you're welcome to include the sfz files above so non-tech musicians can audition and use your samples "out of the box". I did only 1 complete kit, but I could do more if you want. I could do a kontakt mapping too, which likely would draw more users.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

@SmithULTD

Hi, thanks for all your work on the sample pack, I'm aware that simply capturing the samples without any post-production is a very time consuming task by itself. Would you mind if I mirror them in my Sounds FTP?. I am collecting various Samples and Sound Libraries into an consolidated FTP for the Linux Audio community and I think your sample pack would be a great addition.

In any case thanks again for making them available.
SmithULTD
Established Member

Post by SmithULTD »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:
SmithULTD wrote:The are 100% raw samples. The idea is for individuals to create their own sounding kit starting from the ground floor.
It's possible to EQ out the ringing overtones, but to subdue this much ringing also dramatically affects the attack. I like a sharp attack without a lot of ringing. Due to the way these drums are tuned (no damping), I think they're suited for people who like lots of ringing, because to otherwise compensate with that much EQ introduces too many artifacts. There is a limit to what post-processing can do, before post-processing itself introduces problems.

So, those tom/snare/kick samples are ultimately for folks who like ringing drums (and a number of people do).

Anyway, it's nice that you made the samples available, and you're welcome to include the sfz files above so non-tech musicians can audition and use your samples "out of the box". I did only 1 complete kit, but I could do more if you want. I could do a kontakt mapping too, which likely would draw more users.
True. There is only so much that can be done in post-processing. We used what we had available (which was not much) and tried to create a sound that was more of a live-vibe than standard recordings. The problem I had with trying to build pre-made kits is that I would use the LP kick, a VLP Snare, etc. So it's not all the same tuning. Theoretically you could make a kit that has ALL the samples (though that would be insanely massive) but more usable would be multiple kits. My preference would be for a program to allow the build of one drum so people can drag and drop their own kits into creation. But I'm not sure any exist like that. Definitely not Hydrogen.
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

SmithULTD wrote:a program to allow the build of one drum so people can drag and drop their own kits into creation.
If the finished kit is going to be in sfz format, that's really easy. All you need is a separate sfz file for each drum (Which I've already done). Then just append all the selected sfz files into one sfz.

Hold on. Let me see what I can hack up.

SmithULTD
Established Member

Post by SmithULTD »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:
SmithULTD wrote:a program to allow the build of one drum so people can drag and drop their own kits into creation.
If the finished kit is going to be in sfz format, that's really easy. All you need is a separate sfz file for each drum (Which I've already done). Then just append all the selected sfz files into one sfz.

Hold on. Let me see what I can hack up.
I personally haven't the slightest clue how to do that, does sfz support multiple velocities?
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

SmithULTD wrote:does sfz support multiple velocities?
Yes. An sfz file is just a text file. Load one of the kick sfzs I made into Notepad, and study it. It's rather simple.

http://www.cakewalk.com/DevXchange/article.aspx?aid=108

Use Sorfzando sfz player if on windows. Linuxsampler if linux.

Qualitymix
Established Member

Post by Qualitymix »

Programs like Session Drummer load the sfz files in the respective position. I'm still waiting for a Linux equivalent.