Sampler with JACK-output per note?

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

bluebell
Established Member

Sampler with JACK-output per note?

Post by bluebell »

Hi all,

there's always the same problem: I have a soundfont with a drum set but I want to treat each drum differently: bass drum panned to the mid and without reverb, hi tom panned to the left with some reverb and so on.

At the moment I use a separate track (and sampler instance, e.g. Fluidsynth) for each drum. Drawbacks:
- Lots of memory sonce the soundfont is loaded multiple times, at least with Qtractor (over 4GB at the moment with my new project)
- Difficult editing since each drum's notes are in a separate clip and have to be edited separately

Is there a sampler where I can say "the bass drum's note goes to JACK output "bassdrum", the snare to "snaredrum" and so on? So I could program/record the drums in one single track and mix the single drums separately.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

nick87720z
Established Member

Re: Sampler with JACK-output per note?

Post by nick87720z »

You probably mean per instrument :)
The only way known for me is to use single-instrument dedicated banks.
The closest way, best with linuxsampler, to load same bank for different channels, each with own audio out. Same bank should be loaded only once and shared between channels. Don't know, is it possible with fluidsynth.

As last resort, samples may be extracted with swami and used for hydrogen bank. And there are enough ready to use hydrogen banks, though some banks, found in git and sfz formats, have much better quality.
nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

And with same bank, loaded to multiple channels, it may be necessary to use midi filter to assign notes to channels and ports.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

nick87720z wrote:You probably mean per instrument :)
The only way known for me is to use single-instrument dedicated banks.
The closest way, best with linuxsampler, to load same bank for different channels, each with own audio out. Same bank should be loaded only once and shared between channels. Don't know, is it possible with fluidsynth.

As last resort, samples may be extracted with swami and used for hydrogen bank. And there are enough ready to use hydrogen banks, though some banks, found in git and sfz formats, have much better quality.
No, not per Instrument. In GM-soundfonts the whole drumset "standard" counts as one instrument. The different drums, hihat and so on are on different notes.

Hydrogen might to be a solution but not mine. Either I have to program patterns like in the old drum machine era or I have to trigger the notes per MIDI (introduces audible latency). A hydrogen module (lv2 or dssi) would be fine!

nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

Hm, did not read all your post :)
I see you have same case with exception - fluidsynth instead of LS.

hmmm... HINT!!! use openoctave-midi for convenient multitrack editing.
https://github.com/ccherrett/oom/wiki/Performer
nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

About oomidi: for debian/ubuntu it is packaged in one of kxstudio, for gentoo there is fixed ebuild from pro-audio, still not applied, but available in pro-audio overlay mailing list.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

nick87720z wrote:Hm, did not read all your post :)
I see you have same case with exception - fluidsynth instead of LS.

hmmm... HINT!!! use openoctave-midi for convenient multitrack editing.
https://github.com/ccherrett/oom/wiki/Performer
I tried OpenOctave some months ago but I fell in love with Qtractor:
- perfect latency compensation
- integrated and flexible JACK-based audio routing
- supports dssi, LADSPA and lv2- plugins (unlike Ardour that doesn't support dssi)
- editing in separate window (like in Rosegarden, unlike in Ardour)

nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

For jack routing there are much more convenient tools, than embedded to daws: patchage and catia or cadence.
plugins... did not carry about their support in host. For instruments there is almost everything, available as jack clients.
editing in separate window... oomidi creates separate window for pianoroll, but there is no need for multiple windows, because performer can view any number of selected tracks with one selected for editing. And in full size, unlike ardour :)

About latency compensation... Nothing to say, as i mostly used it to compensate delay in some sampled instrument, e.g. slow/smooth strings/choir, or e.g. in guitar chords, written so, that played with delay, as when played on real instrument.
Trying now qtractor to compare with others.

Additionally muse and oomidi are only known for me having full-featured tempo editor. With full-featured i mean, that it resembles automation editor. The closest thing, found in RG, is not so convenient.
nick87720z
Established Member

Post by nick87720z »

I'm sorry, never recorded from mic yet, so did not even know, what latency compensation is for :)