No Budget Orchestra Plugins

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kirtai
Established Member

Re: No Budget Orchestra Plugins

Post by Kirtai »

I looked but there doesn't seem to be a license with them?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:24 am
GMaq wrote: some may prefer one big DL in an Internet cafe
Maybe a 2 CD solution. CD1 is the base system. CD2 is the extras. CD1 would have the base operating system and your current AVL installer. It would need to be installed first.

Then upon the first boot, the user would insert the extras CD2, which "autoruns" this new utility that presents a GUI for the user to check which apps/plugins to install.

An additional benefit is that you can update one CD without necessarily the other. So the operating system can update on a different schedule than the apps/plugins extras.
GMaq wrote: AVL Packages are from their respective sites. So required to consolidate that mess and put it online and maintain it.
Well, I guess you're already doing that in the current DVD. With the new method, all that would be needed is to create a mirror containing the contents of CD2. It would be trivial to have the "extras' install utility" check if it's being run from CD2 or not. If CD2, it pulls files from the CDROM. If not, it "wgets" the files from URLs.

Additionally, if there are binaries (or fully dependency-resolved source code) of certain apps/plugins that are directly downloadable from some web site, then the GUI extras installer can just "wget" them from there, and "dpkg" or "make" or whatever them. So, you wouldn't need to package those yourself (unless you want to make them available on CD2).
In thinking about this and reading it over again... it's starting to reek like wheel re-invention of a Repository system... :lol:

Really if all these things are going to be consolidated and a 'select and install' methodology is employed then they really should just be in a Debian Repository... Everything else is coming on to the system that way why not the extra music stuff..? Then sure, make a base version of AV Linux... Have all the extra stuff in a dedicated Repo (like prolly an OBS, or maybe MX will help out with some of it) and bingo bango... This doesn't require multiple Disc images or 5 ways to procure things or some alternate way of installing stuff... Debian kinda rocks with it's Packaging systems already..

I have scripts I could share with you to make wrapping up Plugin binaries and stuff like sound libs into Deb Packages very simple and truth be told one of my next software projects is to finally get all the extra AVL scripts and utilities into a proper Repo anyway, just like I host your SFZ libs your LV2's could get hosted in a Repo with my stuff too..

Now for the brave/crazy who like to inhabit the wilderness outside of the Debian mothership I suppose your Plugins could continue to reside in my 'sounds' FTP as well. I like your idea but I think bringing everything under a Debian Repository umbrella is the best option for compatibility and longevity. I won't even be thinking about lifting a finger on this until well into the fall... between seasonal work and gigs almost every weekend I'm bizzay enough right now..
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Hey @j_e_f_f_g, what's the license on the plugins? I didn't see it mentioned in the download.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Michael Willis wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:58 am

what's the license on the plugins?

The plugin source code is GPL.

The samples are CC0.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:46 am

The plugin source code is GPL.

Where's the source code?

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

Michael Willis wrote:

Where's the source code?

Putting the finishing touches on it now. I had to sideline the project for the past 3 months while I wrote a custom program for a local business to take/organize/analyze customer telephone orders. They had me pickout the hardware system, as well as write the software. So this is the first time I got to choose which os to develop for. (Until now, always Windows). I decided to try a fanless (for reliability) industrial arm-based (low wattage for low electrical cost) computer running debian. So the app is a linux app for ARM. There were some initial hiccups because arm compilers, and intel compilers, can compile the same code to have very different behavior. Code that compiles/runs fine on an intel cpu can compile/crash on arm. (Got to be very careful with converting unsigned data to signed). But in the end it worked out. Plus I gained valuable knowledge how to write code that works on both arm and intel.

The plugins are done, now with mods to hopely eliminate problems on arm. But the installer is being vastly reworked. I initially tried to make a fully graphical installer, right down to graphically prompting for an admin password in order to install shared libs. (My plugins use 10 custom shared libs, to make them extremely ram-efficient. I can load the entire orchestra as plugins, in the same amount of time as loading just the strings section as an sfz in linuxsampler. You may have noticed how the NBO plugins load faster and use less ram than VPO).

But the linux base is much too fragmented to create a graphical installer that works with all the distros out there. So, I've abandoned the idea of a graphical installer. I also now believe that the base is too fragmented to even deliver a "universal binary". So what I'm going to try to do is model the installer as if it's an Arch AUR "recipe file". The plugin sources will be included with the installer. The installer will ensure that the gcc compiler, and the needed dev packages are installed on the system. Then it will compile the sources into binaries, and install them. The advantage of this is that you'll get binaries that are optimized (and runnable) on your system.

Another plus is that I can make a utility that lets you take your own set of waves, write a text file that specifies the mapping (think of it as a very simplified version of a sfz file), and then compile it into an LV2 plugin that doesn't require a separate sample player, and has a "GUI control window" just like all the NBO plugins.

So when I complete the installer, I'll be putting out the sources.

Last edited by j_e_f_f_g on Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

artix_linux_user wrote:

need more plugins

They're coming. About 50 of them.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

artix_linux_user wrote:

brings me closer to 4k

Gluttony is a sin.

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:51 am
artix_linux_user wrote:

brings me closer to 4k

Gluttony is a sin.

To avoid annoying nomination as saint is good to have some sins.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

tavasti wrote:

is good to have some sins.

I prefer cosins. <---- math geek pun

Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

j_e_f_f_g wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:25 pm
tavasti wrote:

is good to have some sins.

I prefer cosins. <---- math geek pun

Quite standard, my cousins too are dad geeks' puns

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

artix_linux_user wrote:

have to build some new plugins

You should change your user name to plugin_slut.