AudioStellar 1.0.0 is out :)

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

macramole
Established Member

AudioStellar 1.0.0 is out :)

Post by macramole »

Hello everyone,

We've just released version 1.0.0, we've put all our focus on stability and now it is rock solid ;)

AudioStellar is a sampler-like musical instrument that provides a user interface for visualizing a collection of short audio clips in an interactive 2D point map generated by an AI pipeline. This sound map can be played using creative techniques that are difficult to achieve using traditional DAWs, samplers or even custom code.

AudioStellar is free and open source which means it is available for anybody to use, modify and study. It also offers a flexible framework that allows AudioStellar to be extended with several tools: from C++ to Python, PureData, Max, etc.

Happy sampling :)

https://audiostellar.xyz
Basslint
Established Member

Re: AudioStellar 1.0.0 is out :)

Post by Basslint »

Wow, great program you got there! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

I have problems with this (using the AppImage). I have three audio out choices. One goes (autoconnects) to my firewire sound interface, one goes to "a2j" and the other goes to pulseaudio. Out of those three, only when the audio is set to "pulseaudio jack source" is any audio played with the software (In the other two, no levels on the internal meter). If I open another program with JACK inputs and select that it also doesn't work.

I can choose pulseaudio jack source and route it to the audio outputs and it works then. However, when I select a new project it auto disconnects the custom link. Same when I select an audio effect and upon program start up, it defaults to the mode selecting my sound card so I have to start again.

That said, really nice program. I like the audio sorting and that you can even export the clusters. The sequencer is cool, can it be synced with a sequencer?
macramole
Established Member

Post by macramole »

Largos wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:37 pm I have problems with this (using the AppImage). I have three audio out choices. One goes (autoconnects) to my firewire sound interface, one goes to "a2j" and the other goes to pulseaudio. Out of those three, only when the audio is set to "pulseaudio jack source" is any audio played with the software (In the other two, no levels on the internal meter). If I open another program with JACK inputs and select that it also doesn't work.

I can choose pulseaudio jack source and route it to the audio outputs and it works then. However, when I select a new project it auto disconnects the custom link. Same when I select an audio effect and upon program start up, it defaults to the mode selecting my sound card so I have to start again.
Mm that sounds inconvenient. If I open the program with JACK turned off it will automatically connect to "default" that is pulseaudio. When JACK is on, it connects to "system" and the connections are made automatically (I never use "pulseaudio jack source"). So the problem you are having is not having the "system" option when using JACK ?
That said, really nice program. I like the audio sorting and that you can even export the clusters. The sequencer is cool, can it be synced with a sequencer?
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the sequencer can be synced using MIDI clock, just select the MIDI device from settings and enable MIDI Clock. I use Bitwig and what I do is to create virtual MIDI devices

Code: Select all

sudo modprobe snd-virmidi snd_index=1 midi_devs=1
An then send MIDI clock to a virtual MIDI device.

Hope it helps
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Doesn't work in Bionic because of GLIBC issue.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

macramole wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:36 pm
Mm that sounds inconvenient. If I open the program with JACK turned off it will automatically connect to "default" that is pulseaudio. When JACK is on, it connects to "system" and the connections are made automatically (I never use "pulseaudio jack source"). So the problem you are having is not having the "system" option when using JACK ?

No, the problem is it only works at all for one of the JACK connections. I made a video to show you better what I mean.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BdZX0X ... sp=sharing

no sound in the video but you can see the sequencer moving and audio levels when it's working.
macramole
Established Member

Post by macramole »

TAERSH wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:09 pm Doesn't work in Bionic because of GLIBC issue.
I'll test it on 18.04, I am compiling in 20.04 so that might be the issue
Thanks for taking the time for making the video. I haven't seen that configuration before, and don't know how to fix it. What I'll fix for sure is the disconnection when adding effects that is quite annoying.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

macramole wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:33 pm Thanks for taking the time for making the video. I haven't seen that configuration before, and don't know how to fix it. What I'll fix for sure is the disconnection when adding effects that is quite annoying.
I started it from terminal, to get error messages. When I start up. It says error connecting output ports. The program creates 21 output ports to match the interfaces 21 outputs but only connects to the first 12.

[notice ] ofSoundStreamListDevices: 
[Unkown API: 0] firewire_pcm [in:21 out:21] (default in) (default out)
[Unkown API: 1] PulseAudio JACK Sink [in:2 out:0]
[Unkown API: 2] a2j [in:3 out:2]
[Unkown API: 3] PulseAudio JACK Source [in:0 out:2]

[notice ] Using: firewire_pcm
[notice ] Using: a2j
[notice ] Using: PulseAudio JACK Source
[notice ] [pdsp] engine: starting with parameters: buffer size = 512 | sample rate = 48000 | 0 inputs | 21 outputs

[ error ] RtApiJack::startStream(): error connecting output ports!
[notice ] [pdsp] engine: started | buffer size = 512 | sample rate = 48000 | 0 inputs | 21 outputs

When I switch to pulseaudio jack source.

[notice ] [pdsp] engine: starting with parameters: buffer size = 512 | sample rate = 48000 | 0 inputs | 2 outputs

[notice ] [pdsp] engine: changing setup, shutting down stream
[notice ] [pdsp] engine: changing setup, releasing resources...
[notice ] ...done
[notice ] [pdsp] engine: started | buffer size = 512 | sample rate = 48000 | 0 inputs | 2 outputs

I also tried having a instance of Non-Timeline loaded with 2 inputs and got this. No connections made.

[notice ] [pdsp] engine: starting with parameters: buffer size = 512 | sample rate = 48000 | 0 inputs | 2 outputs

[notice ] ...done
[notice ] [pdsp] engine: started | buffer size = 512 | sample rate = 48000 | 0 inputs | 2 outputs

When trying to connect to an instance of MusE sequencer.

[notice ] [pdsp] engine: starting with parameters: buffer size = 512 | sample rate = 48000 | 0 inputs | 8 outputs

[notice ] ...done
[notice ] [pdsp] engine: started | buffer size = 512 | sample rate = 48000 | 0 inputs | 8 outputs

Every time it says "error connecting output ports!" is when the program also doesn't work even when you connect them manually. I don't know whether this extra info helps.
macramole
Established Member

Post by macramole »

Is sample rate and buffer size the same you used for connecting to JACK ?
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

yes, it's the same.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

I've used it quite a bit. Awesome software and very inspirational. One of my "secret weapons" like VirtualANS (graphical synth like metasynth, but free). I like to sync them up and get lost in it.
macramole
Established Member

Post by macramole »

Toejam76 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:47 am I've used it quite a bit. Awesome software and very inspirational. One of my "secret weapons" like VirtualANS (graphical synth like metasynth, but free). I like to sync them up and get lost in it.
Sounds great ! any link to hear this ??
macramole
Established Member

Post by macramole »

Largos wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:06 pm yes, it's the same.
Hi, I've been looking for a fix to this problem.

I know it isn't the perfect solution but using Claudia (a LADISH frontend) for starting and stoping JACK it remembers your custom links. Hope it helps.
TAERSH wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:09 pm Doesn't work in Bionic because of GLIBC issue.
I've made some advance compiling for Bionic, it will be done in no time.
macramole
Established Member

Post by macramole »

I've uploaded a new build supporting Ubuntu 18.04 and beyond to https://audiostellar.xyz replacing the AppImage. Hopefully it will work now ;)

Cheers.
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

At least it's starting now into the GUI interface.
But following the advice I can't play anything on it.
There's an error message in terminal about connecting outputs failed.
I'd setup for JACK audio.