Spitfire Audio free sample libraries

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

diedeno
Established Member

Re: Spitfire Audio free sample libraries

Post by diedeno »

Which version of "Spitfire Audio.exe" works with wine?
Can i download it somewhere?

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@diedeno
Which version of "Spitfire Audio.exe" works with wine?
Can i download it somewhere?
I can confirm that the latest version (3.2.6) works with the current WineHQ wine-devel version (5.10) on my machine. If you can't upgrade to that Wine version, then you need to install a pre-3.2.x version, e.g., SpitfireAudioWinSetup-3.1.18.exe, and add the

Code: Select all

"skip_updates": true
patch I outlined above to the 'lm.conf' file, preventing it from auto-updating to 3.2.6.

The file is too large (4 Mb, really?) for me to upload here. I can send it to you via e-mail if you need it: please DM me if so.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

tseaver wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:43 am
I can confirm that the latest version (3.2.6) works with the current WineHQ wine-devel version (5.10) on my machine. If you can't upgrade to that Wine version, then you need to install a pre-3.2.x version, e.g., SpitfireAudioWinSetup-3.1.18.exe, and add the

"skip_updates": true
patch I outlined above to the 'lm.conf' file, preventing it from auto-updating to 3.2.6.
It still doesn't work for me :( I suspect I'm experiencing a different issue from you guys, though. The main application (the one you install the samples from) works fine, and always has: I get a segmentation fault (with no additional info) whenever I try to load the VST via dssi-vst instead. It used to work more than fine up until a few months ago, until the segmentation fault arrived (possibly after some update, can't remember). Any time an update comes out for the application and/or Wine, I hope it fixes it, but that never happens...

I mentioned dssi-vst because it was the only one that got it running for me at the time: festige (fst.exe on Fedora) apparently doesn't help either, the version of Carla I have comes with no Windows VST support, and I never managed to install LinVST properly. Is there any other method known to work that I should look into?

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Rainmak3r:

I mentioned dssi-vst because it was the only one that got it running for me at the time: festige (fst.exe on Fedora) apparently doesn't help either, the version of Carla I have comes with no Windows VST support, and I never managed to install LinVST properly. Is there any other method known to work that I should look into?
FWIW, I'm using the LinVST binary from https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases/tag/2.8.

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

tseaver wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:01 am
@Rainmak3r:

FWIW, I'm using the LinVST binary from https://github.com/osxmidi/LinVst/releases/tag/2.8.
That's what I tried too, but I couldn't get it to work in Ardour, and I didn't find a way to use in on its own, e.g., via command line. I'll have to invest some more time on this, as good chances are I'm doing some stupid mistake.

tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

@Rainmak3r
I didn't find a way to use in on its own, e.g., via command line.
For me, the LinVst .deb file installed '/usr/bin/linvstconvert' (a simple GUI version) as well as '/usr/bin/linvstconvert6432' (simple Python script run via CLI) and '/usr/bin/linvstconverttree' (seems to be nearly the same GUI version). The Python script is illustrative:

#!/usr/bin/env python3

import shutil
import sys 
import glob
import os
import argparse

parser = argparse.ArgumentParser()
parser.add_argument('src_path', action='store', type=str, help='"path to vst dll folder/*" (** for subdirectories); Path is enclosed in quotes, for example linvstconvert6432 "/home/user/vst/*" or linvstconvert6432 "/home/user/vst/**" for subdirectories')
args = parser.parse_args()
files = glob.glob(args.src_path, recursive=True)

for file in files:
    if file.endswith( ".dll" ) or file.endswith( ".DLL" ) or file.endswith( ".Dll" ):
          sofile = file[ 0: -4 ] + ".so"
          shutil.copyfile( '/usr/share/LinVst/64bit-32bit/linvst.so', sofile )

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

tseaver wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 am
@Rainmak3r
I didn't find a way to use in on its own, e.g., via command line.
For me, the LinVst .deb file installed '/usr/bin/linvstconvert' (a simple GUI version) as well as '/usr/bin/linvstconvert6432' (simple Python script run via CLI) and '/usr/bin/linvstconverttree' (seems to be nearly the same GUI version). The Python script is illustrative:

#!/usr/bin/env python3

import shutil
import sys 
import glob
import os
import argparse

parser = argparse.ArgumentParser()
parser.add_argument('src_path', action='store', type=str, help='"path to vst dll folder/*" (** for subdirectories); Path is enclosed in quotes, for example linvstconvert6432 "/home/user/vst/*" or linvstconvert6432 "/home/user/vst/**" for subdirectories')
args = parser.parse_args()
files = glob.glob(args.src_path, recursive=True)

for file in files:
    if file.endswith( ".dll" ) or file.endswith( ".DLL" ) or file.endswith( ".Dll" ):
          sofile = file[ 0: -4 ] + ".so"
          shutil.copyfile( '/usr/share/LinVst/64bit-32bit/linvst.so', sofile )
Apologies, I should have clarified: I did manage to use the convert tools, and get .so files out of those. The issue is that when I update the Ardour VST paths, it seems to find them but then doesn't list them, so I can't use any of those there. By using them on the command line, I meant some other tool by which I could load these .so VSTs out of the context of a DAW (a bit like Fluidsynth can load a SF2 or sfizz an SFZ). I haven't tried if this .so version works with Carla, though, maybe I should.

Rainmak3r
Established Member

Post by Rainmak3r »

Rainmak3r wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:08 am
The issue is that when I update the Ardour VST paths, it seems to find them but then doesn't list them, so I can't use any of those there.
Nevermind that, I'm an idiot! The plugin was indeed there, it just had a different name (LABS) than the one I expected (I was looking for Spitfire or LinVST), which is why I couldn't find it. Just tried now and it does indeed work, yay!