Chipdisco - dual-deck DJ app for tracker modules

Link to good samples/soundfonts at http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/free_audio_data

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

milkii
Established Member

Chipdisco - dual-deck DJ app for tracker modules

Post by milkii »

"Chipdisco is a dual-deck DJ app for tracker modules (.MOD/.XM/.S3M). Since tracker modules contain samples and notedata, it can do things like adjust pitch without affecting tempo, or vice versa. You can also mute, pan, or otherwise affect individual channels in each deck's module on the fly - pretty much impossible with rendered (mp3/wav) audio! ... The README explains what to do with the config and midimap files, though they're optional and Chipdisco will run happily without them. The config is handy for saving your preferences, and the midi map gives you pretty extensive control surface options. A bit of experimentation will let you figure out which CCs need to be on/off toggles and which need to be knob/sliders, etc."

I've just added this to the AUR for Arch users.

Links for modules to play with here.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Re: Chipdisco - dual-deck DJ app for tracker modules

Post by milkii »

I put together a wee DJingwithtrackermodules.md how-to.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milkii
Established Member

Mixing tracker modules with Chipdisco or Mixxx

Post by milkii »

I'd recommend Mixxx over Chipdisco these days. Mixxx does not has mute/solo control for individual tracks, but not having stereo output is too big a disadvantage of Chipdisco.

Also, I've fixed and updated a script to download modules from The Mod Archive en masse - https://github.com/mxmilkb/moddownloaderr - available via the AUR.

raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Thanks for keeping us posted on this! Chipdisco indeed looks pretty cool, but the mono limitation (if I'm reading the README correctly, to work around some Apple API limitations?) is indeed a pretty big one.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

echolevel just released the source! - https://github.com/echolevel/chipdisco