Vps Avenger

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Aryez
Established Member

Vps Avenger

Post by Aryez »

Has anyone been able to get the Vps Avenger synth working on linux? It's literally the one VST that is keeping me from being able to switch back from windows.
tavasti
Established Member

Re: Vps Avenger

Post by tavasti »

Tried demo, got stack dump. Might be harder one to get working.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

artix_linux_user wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:42 am why would I want to run a windows plugin in my Linux DAW when there ar emore then 4000 native linux plugins available? why?
WHAAAAIIIII?
Valid question, specially when this is not posted to 'Running non-linux software' :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Aryez
Established Member

Post by Aryez »

tavasti wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:47 am
artix_linux_user wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:42 am why would I want to run a windows plugin in my Linux DAW when there ar emore then 4000 native linux plugins available? why?
WHAAAAIIIII?
Valid question, specially when this is not posted to 'Running non-linux software' :-)
Probably for the same reason there are a number of threads asking about running things like amplitube, kontakt, and engine...
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

artix_linux_user wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:05 am probably the same reasons why millions of people like to eat at Mc Donalds.
The reason is why!
so, what is the reason?
Aryez
Established Member

Post by Aryez »

artix_linux_user wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:43 pm the reason is why, because you can allways ask why and then you will allways get an answer and then you can allways ask why...
why are people wanting to run realtime audio software emulated and not as native software?
I am not doing those things, so I dont know....please, YOU tell me why, please!
This is really a difficult question? There are countless threads on this forums and others asking how to run the VST's we loved from windows and Mac on Linux are you're telling me you legitimately don't understand why I would ask such a thing?

Seriously?

This is the level of assistance someone asking a legitimate question gets on this forum? If it is posted on the incorrect sub forum, then that's my mistake but seriously, we're going to pretend that it is beyond the realm of understanding that someone would want to use a windows or Mac VST on Linux?
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

artix_linux_user wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:43 pm the reason is why, because you can allways ask why and then you will allways get an answer and then you can allways ask why...
why are people wanting to run realtime audio software emulated and not as native software?
I am not doing those things, so I dont know....please, YOU tell me why, please!
It's pretty obvious and was said at the beginning, the OP bought it for a lot and uses it in Windows and wants to also use it on Linux.
Aryez
Established Member

Post by Aryez »

I submitted the question over on the running non-linux software forum, as was suggested here. Can a moderator remove this thread.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

WHAAAAIIIII?
The answer for others, is in the value of the included sounds/effects available to use,
and the capabilities to make more valuable sounds, for those so inclined.
I won't presume to speak to your situation, as I know almost nothing about you and your situation.
The number of tools available has little to do with their potential use making great music.

Music transcends categories like hardware, software, OS, free, commercial, acoustic, electric, modern, classical...it's the end result that matters.
Some tools are simply superior to others. Vastly so, in many cases. Efficient use of time matters.
Some budgets are larger than others. Vastly so in many cases. Efficient use of money matters.

In 2022, among the thousands of linux tools, there are plenty of great ones, but commercial preset designers
are not often involved with them. Also, I think there is strong resistance to anyone making a profit based on someone elses
free contribution of some excellent tool. We are surrounded by potential at every turn :) There are great opportunities
to make free presets, effects chains, sequences, sfz and wav sample sets etc etc. All it takes is passion, work ethic, skill,
and enough money to get started with some appropriate location, and some tools of the trade. Some fine audio tools in need
of presets:

Yoshimi
Surge
Vital
Dexed
Nils K1
DecentSampler
Hydrogen

Guitarix
Calf
Rakarrack

Stochas
Patroneo
Seq 192 (24)
Muse
Rosegarden

Cheers
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

artix_linux_user wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:41 am I honestly can not understand why people are running software on systems they were not developed for.
happy music making
Well, I run Rebirth and Cool Edit in wine. Why? Rebirth has no equal on Linux that I know of, and as for Cool Edit, I've used it for more than 20 years and I'm used to its interface. Sure, I tried Audacity, and uninstalled it again within 5 minutes:)

And then there are games...
Impostor
Established Member

Post by Impostor »

How I would love Rebirth as a plugin!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

artix_linux_user wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:41 am sorry, I didnt want to make stupid questions.
I honestly can not understand why people are running software on systems they were not developed for.
happy music making
Questions promote understanding. I'm a musician who enjoys and tolerates linux. If something sounds good to me, I'll use it.
The details of origin don't often matter. But sometimes they do. Coding achievements have advanced such that it's often
trivial to bridge ancient boundaries. Wine handles windows, Mac moved to a BSD type kernel,
devs have build systems that can produce cross-platform releases easier than ever. People are free to maintain
2010 boundaries and standards, but I enjoy modern options.

It's also easier than ever to make music using the strictest definitions of 'native linux' as the baseline.
There's no padlock on the linux toolbox. A wealth of sonic riches exist wherever we turn 8)