stereo delay.

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

stereo delay.

Post by funkmuscle »

Hey everyone, do we happen to have a native stereo delay with independent control for each side kind of like the stock on that I think either comes in logic or pro tools?

I have a guitar track that's recorded in stereo but it's basically just the same on the left as it is on the right and I don't want to figure out how to split from stereo into two mono tracks. I see on YouTube this is done all the time to create a delay on one side, they use a stereo delay with independent control for each side but I can't find something like that for Linux.

If anyone wants to know why I am doing that, it creates the Haas affect and I know the preferred way is to record two tracks but the early Van Halen records, Eddie didn't do that much overdubbing and they were never double tracks because he threw in a lot of guitar licks that he said he couldn't duplicate the same every time like how Randy Rhoads did on the first two Ozzy Osbourne albums.

So since I don't have the ability to get the guitars to do another track because I guess it's my fault to ask for stereo but I meant to ask for two single tracks depend one left in one right he recorded it on one track and stereo so I need to delay one side by about 20 milliseconds or so
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: stereo delay.

Post by sysrqer »

Surge XT Effects has one. ChowMatrix also does it and LSP Slapback Delay Stereo has lots of control.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Calf has a stereo delay as well. I've used a few times.
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

Calf Vintage Delay may be a good tool for this.

(In fact. I find it to be a good for lots of things.)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Yes we do have a lot of stereo delay plugins but none of them I found so far having individual controls for the left and the right were for instance you can dial in 10 milliseconds on the left and 30 on the right. Maybe have overlooked something but I haven't found any yet.

You see what I'm trying to do is create that slapback effect and the vintage delay I couldn't do it with that.

The lsp slapback has a stereo version but still I can't independently set the delay to the right side and then do the same thing to the left or at least no matter what I tried it doesn't create that for me.

Calf, there is Haas plugin but the phasing issue even messing with the knobs you really notice it. All you got to do is put it on and then change to mono and the guitars vanish.

Pro tools and logic and I haven't checked Reaper yet they seem to have what they call a simple stereo delay but you can control the left independently from the right. As I just mentioned Reaper, it just got me thinking to check through for any of the JS plugins and then run it through ysfx.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

funkmuscle wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:49 pm Yes we do have a lot of stereo delay plugins but none of them I found so far having individual controls for the left and the right were for instance you can dial in 10 milliseconds on the left and 30 on the right. Maybe have overlooked something but I haven't found any yet.

You see what I'm trying to do is create that slapback effect and the vintage delay I couldn't do it with that.

The lsp slapback has a stereo version but still I can't independently set the delay to the right side and then do the same thing to the left or at least no matter what I tried it doesn't create that for me.

Calf, there is Haas plugin but the phasing issue even messing with the knobs you really notice it. All you got to do is put it on and then change to mono and the guitars vanish.

Pro tools and logic and I haven't checked Reaper yet they seem to have what they call a simple stereo delay but you can control the left independently from the right. As I just mentioned Reaper, it just got me thinking to check through for any of the JS plugins and then run it through ysfx.
GxDelay Stereo has indipendent L/R delay times. Surely there are others, as I remember them I will post them here.
Attachments
2022-09-22_17.04.57.697.png
2022-09-22_17.04.57.697.png (26.52 KiB) Viewed 1651 times

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Isn't this what you want?
Screenshot_20220922_161243.png
Screenshot_20220922_161243.png (51.2 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Screenshot_20220922_161117.png
Screenshot_20220922_161117.png (42.5 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Screenshot_20220922_160942.png
Screenshot_20220922_160942.png (62.2 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

thebutant wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:35 am Calf Vintage Delay may be a good tool for this.

(In fact. I find it to be a good for lots of things.)
Yes, Calf Vintage delay is another with indipendent L/R time controls.

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Thanks guys. When I get a shot at my computer I'm going to give all those a look. The LSP which I love, the stereo version doesn't give me control over the left and the right only the panning.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

funkmuscle wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:23 pm Thanks guys. When I get a shot at my computer I'm going to give all those a look. The LSP which I love, the stereo version doesn't give me control over the left and the right only the panning.
You can pan one tap with both dials fully right and one tap fully left, what else do you want to control?

There is perhaps an easier way to do this though with pretty much any delay plugin, just create a send/aux track with a fully wet delay with no feedback, pan it accordingly. If you send it pre-fader then you can use the original as left and the delayed as the right.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I've done that but then I really get a heavy phasing effect. Two of the entries for example, the first one I panned both the left and the right to the right side and I gave it 20 millisecond then the other one I moved everything to the left and I left that at zero but I still heard everything in a bad phasing sound.

The only other way for things to work for me is to treat that stereo track as Amano and duplicate it or feed it to a bus track and then use the mono slap back delay after panning both tracks left and right and set the slap back to 20ms
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Thanks guys but we've got nothing to do what I need here from a plug-in point of view but thank God I play guitar so I basically just match the tone and played the other track and now I have it done the way it's done, double tracked!
Of course I checked with the dudes in the band and they gave me the okay.
novalix
Established Member

Post by novalix »

Hi,

one can add delayed taps (wet) to the undelayed channels (dry) and possibly pan those tabs and configure different delay times. Asymmetric delay times will always introduce some kind of "phasing". It depends on the amount of differences of delayed tabs (and their placement in the stereo field) and the properties of the source (drum hits, single notes or fuzzy chord strums, etc.) at what point this phasing becomes an issue or is the wanted outcome (like the Haas effect).

Another simple possibility is not to add delayed signals but to delay one channel alltogether. This would definitly introduce phasing.
One can use plugins like x42's Stereo Balance Control or LSP Delay Compensation Stereo x2 for such an endeavor. Usually you would delay one channel only a few samples and use your ears to control the effect.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

There is a mention of how to easily create haas effect with U-he ColourCopy plugin at

https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7273534

I've read that the the Uhbik-T module is a beast, and it has a Haas dial,
so might be worth using the demo. The T is for tremolo or trouble etc,
and Uhbik -D for delay might also be worth a demo.

Uhbik-T-haas-knob.jpg
Uhbik-T-haas-knob.jpg (49.71 KiB) Viewed 1326 times

I think U-he Satin may have ways to do haas with clever modulation, but might need some
experiments that lead to other experiments, but then the record button assumes room temperature :wink: