Jammin....

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Jammin....

Post by funkmuscle »

I think a few years ago I brought up a topic on here about this but I'm pretty sure that Linux had Jammin or maybe that's spelled with one 'M' but grammar is besides the point here.

I was just teaching myself how to master a song by doing research on online and on YouTube and I saw this plugin before but I didn't want to say anything but now I'm seeing everyone that's using Windows or Mac seem to be using isotope ozone 7 which to me looks like exactly what we had before these other platforms had in Jammin..

I know we have multiple little plugins that we can push into create the mastering chain but seeing how simple and the one step that is and to think I could be wrong but to think that our platform had a plug-in or software that was all in one before these guys and again I'm saying I could be wrong correct me please, I don't know why and improve version of Jammin none of the amazing devs and I truly do mean amazing devs have not tried to revamp and improve on that mastering software. I think the problem with it before was it was CPU intense but it would be a perfect tool for us that don't believe in using wine which could work for you today and then there's an update and then you got to wait for something to be fixed for it to work again whereas we can have something that's native.

Again I have to preface this by saying it's just there for discussion and not for arguments because I hate seeing when somebody put an idea or a question in any forum and then you'll get some genius that thinks he knows more than anyone and that person asking should know that and then the rudely reply to them. This is supposed to be a friendly place and that's why I keep saying whenever I post something it's for discussion and not argument and yes I ask these questions because I don't know and only how you figure something out is by asking so that's why I hate it when I see someone get completely torn apart for just asking a question.
Natelok
Established Member

Re: Jammin....

Post by Natelok »

I've said it before...Linux Pro Audio is where Windows Pro Audio gets all it's ideas from. We have the best devs, we share our work and we solve problems, and then someone takes that idea, sticks a flashy directX interface on it and sells it with iLok to anyone who doesn't like reading instruction manuals.

I absolutely second the idea of a revamp of Jammin, although I've never heard of it before. I'm gonna try to find it today and have a play around, if I get the time today.

I just wish I had more money so I could donate to more projects.
Nate!

Music Nerd, Guitarist, Fixer of Things, DJ, currently employed by Donnybrook Balingup Community Radio (Station Manager & Drive Time DJ, Recording Engineer for a small attached studio for local artists)

DAW: Mixbus at home, Mixbus32C at work
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

6 years ago - is JAMin dead??
Verdict - yes.
I recall some technical problems possibly with the quality of the processing. It is still downloadable from Sourceforge but the last version is from Jan 2015.
Surely one could build a nice mastering chain in Carla with the higher quality plugins available currently.
Largos
Established Member

Post by Largos »

Jamin is also still in the Ubuntu repos, so maybe check your distro repos for "jamin"

If anyone does want to create an alternative with single plugins, there is an signal path diagram here: http://jamin.sourceforge.net/en/routes.html
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Jamin is nice and still works, both as a plugin on the master bus, or externally wired as it was designed...

However, I don't think it's really needed in these days anymore. Ardour can output to specific 'targets' like Apple (-16LUFS), Amazon, Spotify, and the likes, and if you really need an eq or multiband compressor on the master bus you can do so as well. Or for quick & dirty, try Berry's Satan Maximizer or something.

My 2 (Euro-) Cents...
more about me on my blog
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

It would be nice to have an all-in-one.

Not free, but Maximal 3 (very different beast from Maximal 2) by Venomode is Linux-native and very, very good. It's a super flexible and easy to use limiter with lots of character, add an EQ if needed and the meters in your DAW. A little plugin chain like that is as good as Jamin ever was.
listenable at c6a7.org
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Jammin is still supported on debian, and I use it from time to time. If nothing else, it has quite a nice EQ and spectrum graph.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

ufug wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:25 am It would be nice to have an all-in-one.

Not free, but Maximal 3 (very different beast from Maximal 2) by Venomode is Linux-native and very, very good. It's a super flexible and easy to use limiter with lots of character, add an EQ if needed and the meters in your DAW. A little plugin chain like that is as good as Jamin ever was.
From what I can tell from testing it, it's a great product and at a great price point. Time will tell if a product from such a small, unrecognized company will win over a dedicated following (they are including a stripped-down version with CM though).

Regardless, I personally happen to think that for mastering ("working with downmixes"), plugins running via WINE are perfectly fine (I'm not convinced that using WINE-bridged plugins when working on multi-track productions on a DAW is a good idea though - and no comments on this site or any other site are going to convince me otherwise)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

WforWoollyMammoth wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:07 pm
ufug wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:25 am It would be nice to have an all-in-one.

From what I can tell from testing it, it's a great product and at a great price point. Time will tell if a product from such a small, unrecognized company will win over a dedicated following (they are including a stripped-down version with CM though).

Regardless, I personally happen to think that for mastering ("working with downmixes"), plugins running via WINE are perfectly fine (I'm not convinced that using WINE-bridged plugins when working on multi-track productions on a DAW is a good idea though - and no comments on this site or any other site are going to convince me otherwise)
I fully agree about using the MS VSTs for serious work..

I've been held at gun point by WINE and Windows too many times.. So my fault but most was due to WINE changing something in an update.

I'm actually surprised that WINE doesn't have a dedicated proaudio version and team up with yabridge.
I'm just asking here but does anyone know if WINE is used for audio than anything else?
Linux has enough native programs to match MS stuff so what else is WINE used for?

And I hate when I see products say compatible
MacOS
Windows
and not Linux but instead,
Ubuntu...
Maximal 3 says Ubuntu so all other non-Deb flavours don't could
OR
Linux is Ubuntu..
I could be wrong but wouldn't a binary be better?

Personally I felt Ubuntu was just someone saying hey, we're just like MS minus to viruses..
Never liked it from the get go and yes I remembered when it was the new kid on the block.. Thought it was bloated and I hated the Debian restrictions..
Remember, it's MY PERSONAL FEELINGS SO LIKE WforWoollyMammoth, nothing could change my mind about how I feel about the Buntu flavours..

Ok, end of my Ubuntu vent. :D
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

I think they've chosen Ubuntu because at least at one point it was the most popular distro (and there's also been something called "Ubuntu Studio" available for years). They have to test their products on a limited amount of distros, and if they were to offer support for the customers, it'd be a bit unfair to expect them to be able to solve all the issues with outdated libraries on the various other distros the users might be using. I think some of those companies actually offer at least limited amount of support for all Debian based distros. Regardless, I switched to Ubuntu myself - even if I did it somewhat reluctantly - for this reason a few years back (I'm a Bitwig user myself).

I should emphasize that - in my view - WINE is okay for working on downmixes when mastering, handling noise reduction tasks etc. I do not think WINE works that well in DAWs with larger recording projects that have lots of tracks + plugins that demand a lot of DSP and you're running the system at low latencies. I have not had good experiences with WINE in that regard ever. It's been a crash fest, always. Every time someone on the Internet states their Linux-based systems are running just fine with Windows plugins I automatically assume they're working mainly with rather modest 4-8 track projects or that they're simply lying :lol:
erlkönig
Established Member

Post by erlkönig »

I'm just asking here but does anyone know if WINE is used for audio than anything else?
Linux has enough native programs to match MS stuff so what else is WINE used for?
I use WIne to run Tascam Mixer Companion, for a DM4800. What not worked via WINE was a firmware upgrade. The rest works. I use it for archiving and reloading Projects, and, really important and a great enhancement: Meterbridges for all layers at the same time. Of course, this is more an administrative Task.

Currently working with
https://www.honeysuckers.rocks/?lang=en
https://de-de.facebook.com/SatanicVoices2019
Fiddling with sequencers does not evolve into music necessarily and Mac users have smelly feet and guzzle little children.

bmarkham
Established Member

Post by bmarkham »

I use both Windows and Linux for audio. I have Izotope Ozone for Windows and it's very cool and works nicely. But I also have Jamin on my KXStudio Linux box, and that works fine (still). I guess as long as the code will compile okay, we will still have it.

I like the compressors, equalizers, limiter, stereo widener etc. in Jamin and I think they work fine. I use it as a standalone program and route to it via Jack.

It's easy enough to setup a similar chain using discrete plugins, of course. But when I first started doing linux audio, Jamin was the best all around tool for that job.
dan_flash
Established Member

Post by dan_flash »

The last time I tried Jamin (about 15 years ago I think) I was really impressed by how loud it went. Nowadays loudness doesn't impress me but after reading this thread, I'm gonna fire it up again and see how it sounds.

For a decade after I used Windows and for 'mastering' I quite liked Ozone or Limiter No6. However, a year ago I came back to Linux and recently tested a few native plugs out.

So Maximal 3 sounded the best to me (I even ended coughing up for it) and it worked great on my 10 year old laptop running Lubuntu. Worth mentioning though that I also really liked the x42 Limiter, the Airwindows stuff and Overtone FC70, usually combined with some gentle EQ and exciter.

I use Reaper and Renoise generally so tried ReaLimit and 2 of the JS limiters / master compressors, which were quite good in my view but not quite as funky as the above. Renoise Maximiser was really good though (Renoise ugs are generally class I think).