What are the Aasimonster Drum sizes?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mro69
Established Member

What are the Aasimonster Drum sizes?

Post by mro69 »

I would like to add to the Aasimonster kit in Drum Gizmo to make a kit that has as many drums as Phil Collins. I wanted to see if I could mimic the "In the Air Tonight" drum role for a learning exercise. Phil Collins uses Gretsch drums and Sabian cymbals. Drums (all single headed concert toms except for the snare): 20" Bass Drum, 18" Floor Tom, 16" Floor Tom, 15" Mounted Tom, 12" Tom, 10" Tom, 8" Tom, 14"x4" Snare, 14".
Question: What size are the drums in the Aasimonster kits, and does anyone know some kits that have toms, for the missing sizes?

Thanks for any help. Cheers Matt
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: What are the Aasimonster Drum sizes?

Post by Michael Willis »

I don't know about the sizes in Aasimonster, but you can create more toms (and possibly cymbals) by tuning the existing samples, instead of looking for more samples. That way you'll have all of the same mic positions and such.
Last edited by Michael Willis on Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mro69
Established Member

Post by mro69 »

I was thinking of using the reaper plugins to take the pitch up and down. Not sure of how many semitones between drums. I just was not sure if the smallest tom was the same as the current kit and whether I should pitch up or add to the lower toms. Thanks for the idea. Cheers Matt
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Michael Willis wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:16 am I don't know about the sizes in Aasimonster, but you can create more toms )and possibly cymbals) by tuning the existing samples, instead of looking for more samples. That way you'll have all of the same mic positions and such.
What software you would use for tuning? Some cli-program for batch-change would be handy.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

mro69
Established Member

Post by mro69 »

I did a rough estimate by drawing over the image in Freecad and using the cymbals as a guide. It estimated that the floor tom was a 13 inch tom. The two next hanging toms were both about 12 inches, but on was longer than the other. The smallest was about 9.5 inches.

If the estimates are roughly correct (unsure at this stage), I would need one smaller 8 inch tom and one more floor tom. Phil's toms appear to be larger as well so I might need to pitch the drums down a bit to make the 13 inch drum seems as deep as the 18 inch.

I found a guide that indicated that toms should be tuned in major thirds if you have 5 to 6 toms, so I will adjust the pitch to match that.

https://www.tune-bot.com/tunebottuningguide.pdf

If anyone has any thought on the best approach feel free to let me know as this project is just a learning exercise for me.
mro69
Established Member

Post by mro69 »

I loaded the kit in reaper and used the "Reatune" plugin to get the notes and frequencies of the drums. it indicated that

Floor Tom = between C#2 and D2
Large Tom 3 = between G#2 and G2
Tom 2 = between B and C
Tom 1 = E3

This roughly falls in line with the frequency range the tuning guide had for drums. To expand to six tom drums it suggests that the highest drum should be up 4 semitone to 3G#.

The lower tom should be tuned down a semi tone to a 2C and another tom should be added at a 2E which is around 3 semi tones up from the current lowest tom. I'll give this a go and see how the kit sounds.
mro69
Established Member

Post by mro69 »

Audacity has an option to change frequency and also has macros, so I will have a play with this soon to batch convert the samples. I did one sample change and it seemed ok with one issue. It saves as mono by default which makes the track louder than it's original reference file.

I did have to enable an option to save the track with multi channels which is not enabled by default. I didn't even know that wav files could be multi track. After turning on the option the file sounded quite reasonable when compared to the original.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tavasti wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:00 am What software you would use for tuning? Some cli-program for batch-change would be handy.
Answering to myself, options that I am aware are 'sox pitch' and rubberband. Did not try and compare which produces best stuff.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

mro69
Established Member

Post by mro69 »

I tried Sox which I had not heard of before and it worked really well. Thanks Tavasti for the tip. I made a bash file which changed the pitch by 4 semi tones, makes a directory to store the results and renamed the files to the new tom number (Code Below). In the example below tom_1 becomes tom_0.
I still need to finish tuning all the toms, but am making progress.

I also tried audacity, which could change pitch by batch. It couldn't however change multi channel wav files pitch by batch. It could manually however, so Sox proved a better option.

Cheers Matt

# The below bash file changes the frequency of the file and save the result in
# the subdirectory /Pitch_Modified_Wavs.
# To change the pitch change the number after the word pitch. 100 = 1 semitone
# To use the rename option you need sudo apt install rename

mkdir Pitch_Modified_Wavs;
for f in ./*.wav;
do sox "$f" "./Pitch_Modified_Wavs/${f%%%.wav}" pitch 400;
done

# Rename the files from _1 to _0. Note # = a commented out line
# rename s/_1/_0/ ./Pitch_Modified_Wavs/*.wav
rename s/_1/_0/ ./Pitch_Modified_Wavs/*.wav

# Show a comment that we are finished
echo "Pitch Change Complete" # Program completed