[SOLVED] Ardour MIDI insert/ext_send to Carla: no clock sync!

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Senbee
Established Member

[SOLVED] Ardour MIDI insert/ext_send to Carla: no clock sync!

Post by Senbee »

If I load a plugin in Carla and I connect it to Ardour via an insert or an external send, I don't find a way to sync the clock.

Example: I load an arpeggiator or a delay in Carla, make a MIDI track with some chords in it, send it to Carla via the patchbay or QJackCtl or whatever, and when I press play on Ardour, the arpeggiator doesn't start, or the delay doesn't pick the same metronome of Ardour.
If I try to connect Ardour's "MIDI Clock" or any other Ardour sync outs to LibreARP's MIDI in, nothing changes.

This happens with all the plugins I load in Carla.

Is there something wrong I am doing? Or, is it a Carla's bug, or a not yet implemented feature, or it's like this on purpose?

I know I can load Carla into Ardour as plugin, but there are some plugins that can been seen only via Carla standalone, or viceversa (because some of them can only be installed as sandboxed apps).

This is an example with LibreArp: Ardour is sandboxed (installed via flatpak) and there's no LibreArp on flathub, so I connect it to Ardour via an external send. When I press Play on Ardour, nothing happens in LibreArp. Same with an Insert. Same if I connect MMC or MTC or MIDI Clock to Carla's "events in". Same viceversa (Ardour from Apt, Carla from flatpak with a flatpak plugin inside Carla).
Last edited by Senbee on Mon May 23, 2022 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

I'm a SUDO wrestler - Italy - Ubuntu 22.04 - Ardour 8.4
All my songs: www.soundcloud.com/stefano-droghetti/se ... -droghetti
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/@StefanoDroghetti/featured
My homepage (in Italian): www.stefanodroghetti.it

LAM
Established Member

Re: Ardour MIDI insert/ext_send to Carla: no clock sync!

Post by LAM »

Senbee wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:55 am Is there something wrong I am doing? Or, is it a Carla's bug, or a not yet implemented feature, or it's like this on purpose?
Are you using JACK as transport master in Ardour?

Here it works:

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Senbee
Established Member

Re: Ardour MIDI insert/ext_send to Carla: no clock sync!

Post by Senbee »

Thank you, you saved my day!

I looked into Preferences, and it turned out Ardour's transport was on "MMC" by default. I had to deselect it, press on "Show Transport Master Window", select JACK and then press the Transport button.
And there it works!

I'm a SUDO wrestler - Italy - Ubuntu 22.04 - Ardour 8.4
All my songs: www.soundcloud.com/stefano-droghetti/se ... -droghetti
My Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/@StefanoDroghetti/featured
My homepage (in Italian): www.stefanodroghetti.it