Spectral compressors and expanders recommendations

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

muzikermammoth
Established Member

Spectral compressors and expanders recommendations

Post by muzikermammoth »

Are there any spectral based compressors and expanders that are linux based and opensource? Can't seem to find any.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: Spectral compressors and expanders recommendations

Post by sunrat »

Harrison XT-SC is an excellent tool which I regularly use on master bus and occasionally as a channel plugin.
https://harrisonconsoles.com/product/xt ... ompressor/

It's not open source but I couldn't find any either. It is LV2 and works natively in Linux.

Edit: probably only available for use in Mixbus. It comes as a trial version in Mixbus.
Last edited by sunrat on Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indanautilus
Established Member

Post by Indanautilus »

I can recommend...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/specomp-51285294
OK, it's not native but it has proofed as a stable 'wrapped one' for me. :mrgreen:
I come from Ableton Live and the SPECOMP reminds me of the 'Glue Compressor (Cytomic 'The Glue') that I used a lot on busses.
christobal
Established Member

Post by christobal »

Indanautilus wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:24 pm I can recommend...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/specomp-51285294
OK, it's not native but it has proofed as a stable 'wrapped one' for me. :mrgreen:
I come from Ableton Live and the SPECOMP reminds me of the 'Glue Compressor (Cytomic 'The Glue') that I used a lot on busses.
Just wanna mention that for me these plugins completely crashes wine overe here. Manjaro with latest Wine Staging and yabridge.

Nothing wine related will run after trying to discover these in Carla or Ardour. Had to reboot.

Just an FYI for others.
Amp: Echolette M40 / NG51S Tape Echo
Strings: Martin D15M, Yamaha FG-180, Alhambra 5P, Yamaha Revstar
muzikermammoth
Established Member

Post by muzikermammoth »

This is pretty strange. Especially if it requires a reboot. Usually wine will run as a wrapper process with yabridge bridging the linux to windows vst calls. It shouldn't mess up anything enough to force a reboot. If it's an audio overload, then effects along the chain might get affected, even the audio daw itself and that would need a reboot.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

christobal wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:47 pm
Just wanna mention that for me these plugins completely crashes wine overe here. Manjaro with latest Wine Staging and yabridge.

Nothing wine related will run after trying to discover these in Carla or Ardour. Had to reboot.
Did you try to kill all wine-related processes after the crash? 'ps ax | grep -i win' shows processes, and then kill (and make sure they die) all.

Another thing that can happen with crashing programs is that jack is on some zombie state where none of the connection changes are working. Then need to kill jack, and restart. And sure, need to restart also all programs using jack.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

christobal
Established Member

Post by christobal »

I tried after clean reboots, I tried killing all wine processes, etc. Same behaviour every time.
Considering only these plugins have given me this problem, I'd rather just not use them for now ;)

It's working fine for everthing else I throw at it. (although I barely use any windows plugins anymore)
Indanautilus
Established Member

Post by Indanautilus »

Thanks for the hint. I switched to Manjaro yesterday and thought about going 'native only'. On AV Linux I've made good experiences with linVST and at least I want to try implementing a few 'sampled realistic instruments'. If I fail there is still the option to build them by myself (layering sampled fret noises ect.) like I did back in the days. ;)

Besides that one tool I miss is a compressor with pleasing saturation for smashing drumloops/overhead tracks.
MyLoFy
Established Member

Post by MyLoFy »

Haven't tried it yet, but there is a FOSS spectral compressor: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/spectral-compressor
Indanautilus
Established Member

Post by Indanautilus »

For which application do you'd like to have a spectral compressor?
midnight.snack

Post by midnight.snack »

Is anyone getting multiple windows: Z:\usr\bin\lin-vst-servertrack.exe.so when launching your DAW? Each for every opened VST in a project. If one is closed, it breaks Jack right away. Opening a project and having, let's say, 7 to 10 plugins, suddenly many terminal windows open with the header Z:\usr\bin\lin-vst-servertrack.exe.so. That was after upgrading Wine Staging 7.4 to 7.5.

How can they be paused-avoid not opening, you now, not there like they never were?

Anyone experiencing same thing?

Everything runs so smooth, powerful, quiet, stable, such a beaut and delight. Threw me off the whole bunch of windows.
christobal
Established Member

Post by christobal »

midnight.snack wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:50 pm Is anyone getting multiple windows: Z:\usr\bin\lin-vst-servertrack.exe.so when launching your DAW? Each for every opened VST in a project. If one is closed, it breaks Jack right away. Opening a project and having, let's say, 7 to 10 plugins, suddenly many terminal windows open with the header Z:\usr\bin\lin-vst-servertrack.exe.so. That was after upgrading Wine Staging 7.4 to 7.5.

How can they be paused-avoid not opening, you now, not there like they never were?

Anyone experiencing same thing?

Everything runs so smooth, powerful, quiet, stable, such a beaut and delight. Threw me off the whole bunch of windows.
Are you running a bunch of windows vsts in your daw? Because the lin-vst-servertrack.exe is a part of LinVst, which is a wine app for windows VSTs.
midnight.snack

Post by midnight.snack »

Hi, just noticed there was a reply.

I am running a bunch of Win VSTs. Don't get too lost when configuring stuff. Just the latest update threw me off. Don't know if Wine, suddenly with Bitwig using Lin-VST, when opening a project that has 10+ win VST's there, I get this tiny windows. Called them tiny cause there are many and small.
little_window.jpeg
little_window.jpeg (43.67 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
panel.jpeg
panel.jpeg (16.19 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Something thinks lin-vst-servertrack.exe.so is a game.

Manjaro Gnome
Bitwig
Lin-VST

Awesome. Thanks for giving it a look christobal.