Ardour functionality or plugin to synchronize recordings

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sprock
Established Member

Ardour functionality or plugin to synchronize recordings

Post by sprock »

I am going to record a classical chamber music concert next week.

I have an USB interface with 4 mic preamps that I am going to use. But I'd like to also use an additional fifth spot mic. The only way to do this is to use another additional laptop PC that I have as well as an old Focusrite Scarlett that I also have. So, this means that I would record the fifth mic independently in another Mixbus (Ardour based DAW) session on another computer.

When I then later import the recording of the fifth mic into the main session I would have to synchronize it to the other four mics. How do I do this? Is there a plugin that I could use for this or is there a functionality in Mixbus (Ardour) already that can do this?
sprock
Established Member

Re: Ardour functionality or plugin to synchronize recordings

Post by sprock »

The most optimal solution would be if I could use both USB audio interfaces simultaneously on one computer. I am under the impression that this is not possible. But maybe I am wrong? Is there maybe a way to do this?

I've heard that aggregate devices can be run on a Mac easily, on Windows it's more of a hassle, but what about Linux? (I am on Ubuntu Studio 20.04 by the way.)
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

If you don't want to use ALSA you can do it in JACK too: viewtopic.php?p=95025#p95025

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

sprock
Established Member

Post by sprock »

Thank you.

This looks promising but it's intimidating to even start reading those links. I don't see myself getting this running until Wednesday.
Jamesf
Established Member

Post by Jamesf »

My (hopefully redundant) advice is to forget the fifth mic and second interface, until you're 100% confident that you've nailed the four-mic setup. If/when you're good to go and have time to kill, then worry about trying to add those.

Can you get hold of a second computer for the additional interface+mic? As long as you record at the same sample-rate and bit-depth, it should be easy enough to import and time-align that track afterwards.
I'm slow, but I get there eventually.