SA_BOTAGE

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

skei
Established Member

SA_BOTAGE

Post by skei »

hi!
can anybody help me test my new plugin SA_BOTAGE? (actually, the real name is BOTAGE, with a SA prefix, for Skei.Audio).. it's a glitch/auto-slicer plugin, and a continuation of my old fx_cutter plugin.. it works pretty well here, in most hosts i have tried it in.. but, i can only test it on my machine.. since i have coded everything from scratch, not using any other frameworks or libraries (except xcb and cairo), there are several things that could go wrong.. and the only way to find out, is letting people try it on their own machine..

it's far from finished.. i have mostly concentrated on the underlying framework until now, and ported back the functionality from the fx_cutter plugin as a starting point.. there's a ton of things planned, effects, beat rearranging, realtime midi control, etc, etc..

only vst3 format in the zip file for now, but standalone executable also works (no audio at the moment), and lv2 and vst2 version might be coming... maybe... most code is in place, but need to find some motivation to continue down that path (i don't like the lv2 format very much, and vst2 licensing is a mess).. also, i have most of the basic stuff needed for a windows version, but since i don't use windows myself, and cross-compiling is another messy area, we'll see... :-/

mainly tested in bitwig and reaper..

a short youtube video with me messing around with it for a few minutes..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-INa1QWdy0

download (231kb):
https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... 5YmSur6OuV

source code (framework & plugins):
https://github.com/skei/kode2

- tor-helge
LAM
Established Member

Re: SA_BOTAGE

Post by LAM »

I already briefly tested it yesterday in BespokeSynth, and as far I can tell it worked well, I'll test it more in this weekend. ;)

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

LAM wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:37 pm I already briefly tested it yesterday in BespokeSynth, and as far I can tell it worked well, I'll test it more in this weekend. ;)
awesome! thanks.
btw, the new one i just uploaded (v0.0.2) have a few more features (loop speed/length probabilities, etc), and the slicing algorithm is a bit more robust.. i think.. :-)
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

As a packager, I can probably get it tested by more people with different setups if you streamline the build process a little bit. A standard Makefile with standard "make build" and "make install" commands would be cool! :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

Basslint wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:47 pm As a packager, I can probably get it tested by more people with different setups if you streamline the build process a little bit. A standard Makefile with standard "make build" and "make install" commands would be cool! :D
oh cool!

but, like lv2, it's not the highest priority.. i find it much easier to just compile the one single needed cpp file (sa_botage.cpp) via command line, a simple script, or directly from the ide.. no additional files to set up, no mess, no confusion :-)

but i'll see what i can do!

- tor-helge
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

v0.0.3

* bugfixes, tweaks
* added loop reverse
* preliminary lv2 (no gui, loads in reaper, but doesn't work properly)

https://u.pcloud.link/publink/show?code ... mJsVPQHGay
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

new version: v0.0.4
still considered alpha, but it's getting usable now
(wondering if it works on other peoples machines)

no effort put into appearance yet..

added:
* beatslice envelope (ad)
* loop envelope (ad)
* first effect: filter (ms20)

removed:
* lv2 version (for the time being)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDhkyDZ8TZM
(showing mostly newest features, envelopes and filter, other videos shows the other stuff in more detail)

src: plugin(s) and framework
https://github.com/skei/kode2

download: vst3, linux, 64bit, xcb/cairo
sa_botage_v0.0.4.zip (235kb)
skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

it's pretty obvious that i don't have much gui/designer skills, but trying to experiment a little..

- tor-helge
Criss

Post by Criss »

Made an account only for this thread :D

First of thanks @skei for making this one. I testet it on my machine running Ubuntu Studio in reaper and it works flawless.
Hadn't the chance to test the newest version yet but maybe this evening or tomorrow.

I actually like the look of the last gui prototype. Gives a bit more visual feedback on the values.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

skei wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:47 pm it's pretty obvious that i don't have much gui/designer skills, but trying to experiment a little..

- tor-helge
I would just add some numbers along with the knobs. Otherwise settings are hard to remember.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

skei wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:47 pm it's pretty obvious that i don't have much gui/designer skills, but trying to experiment a little..
[...]
- tor-helge
You have no idea how bad stuff looks that you have to pay for nowadays. Your interface looks pretty slick if you ask me. :)
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

Basslint wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:09 am

- tor-helge
I would just add some numbers along with the knobs. Otherwise settings are hard to remember.
Totally agree (I still prefer sliders with values 8) ).

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

hi all!
thanks for all comments and discussions..

at the moment i'm rewriting some of the innards of the plugin, mainly the tempo and sync parts, since there were some corner cases where my sample-counting wasn't totally accurate, and sync drifted off (veeery slowly, but still..), and i also have to be a little careful about exactly (sample-accurate) when a slice is ending, and when a new one might possibly start.. after that, i will be adding some randomized rearrangement things, slice/buffer offsets.. jumping back and forth inside the buffer..

and then, it's back to the drawing board with the gui again :-)

i tend to favor sliders myself, and did some additional stuff to make them better.. snapping, quantization, dbl click to reset to default, shift key for finer control, etc..

new binary soon..

- tor-helge

and, i'm also thinking about a variation of the plugin, maybe called sa_boteur, more centered around realtime midi control, but we'll see... there are other plugins i want to do too.. sa_dist, sa_tanist, sa_mantha.. :-D
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

skei wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 1:29 pm there are other plugins i want to do too.. sa_dist, sa_tanist, sa_mantha.. :-D
These names sound great. :lol:

WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

I feel this is going to be a great plugin. I've loved and used a whole lot the dfx and ixi stuff on Windows in the past, and this is in the same ballpark.

I've tested it on Bitwig (latest update) on Ubuntu (latest release). Unfortunately, I've experienced some bugs. I think at least some of them have been GUI related. The GUI froze and showed a caption of the background graphics instead of the plugins own controls. Deactivating and activating again the plugin seemed to fix the situation. An earlier version also crashed in Bitwig when I just had a Bitwig project open in the backroung while browsing the internet and then returning to the project. I'll try to provide more detailed responses later.