disco dsp obx xd 2.4 free for used not commercial

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Kott
Established Member

Re: disco dsp obx xd 2.4 free for used not commercial

Post by Kott »

By telling...

For me it's like saying "You have no rights to sit and fart in the chair which is fixed by the hammer bought in my shop. Because I don't want it."
How can the output of the algorithm (even strongly patented) can be "protected"?

For such restriction author must have the rights on songs/sounds which is produced by the synth. Obviously he/she has not such.
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

I installed it, and the binary has no attached license that pops up during installation or as a separate file, so it would seem the binary is also licensed as GPLv3. While I think it would be difficult to enforce legally, it seems clear the author wishes for it to remain with private individuals rather than commerical entities, and most of us here will be fine respecting that without having to compromise our use of the software. If anyone objects to the author's wishes and wants to use it commercially, I think they should reach out to the author and discuss it with them directly. Us arguing with each other about what is truth and misinformation seems rather pointless if it is merely hypothetical or philosophical.
Last edited by GuntherT on Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

fair point, thank you

but i still can't get how usage intentions can be restricted by LA
DiscoDsp statement leads to misunderstanding, and as you said it would be correctly to advertise like:
"If you want use OB-Xd for commercial production and get official support - please buy it."
GuntherT
Established Member

Post by GuntherT »

I agree. I don't think "non-commercial use" slapped on their download page likely passes legal scrutiny, and that topic is a fair point of discussion on this forum. However, the OP was accused of spreading misinformation when they were only passing along what was on the download page, and that seemed a bit harsh to me.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

elcalen wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:01 pm If you compile it from source, then it absolutely is free for any use case. But does that apply to a distributed binary?
Yes, that's the whole point of the GPL over other licences.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

The real crime here is that when assigning MIDI controllers (volume, filter cutoff etc) to a controller keyboard and then generating some CC traffic to DiscoDSP OB-Xd v2.5 it xruns like crazy making it near unusable for real time changes (volume, filter sweeps etc).

This problem does not occur with Carla + KXStudio Obxd but otoh KXStudio Obxd sadly does not have built in Midi learn or a workable patch & bank handling like the DiscoDSP version. When using other (non-Carla) hosts you don't have a simple way of sending MidiCC to it unless you run it as a plugin inside a Carla plugin, inside the ultimate host.

tl;dr

DiscoDSP OB-xd 2.5 looks nice and has a nice user interface to handle presets, preset banks, learn MidiCC etc but xruns like mad when sending it MidiCC.

KXStudio Obxd +Carla does not exhibit this problem but its interface is clunky and patch management in Carla is suboptimal. Sadly KXStudio Obxd misses built-in MIDI learn & decent patch & patch bank handling.
Last edited by asbak on Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

asbak wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:46 pm I don't know of a straightforward way to map a MIDI Controller MidiCC to Obxd when using a non-Carla host for example Reaper. One can host KXStudio OBXd in Carla-rack in Reaper and save the state of KXStudio Obxd as a carxs and then load it but it's a drag to have to resort to such creative, long-winded workarounds.
It's quite easy, make sure your controller in reaper is enabled, open OBXd, move the parameter, click on Param (top right of plugin window), click Learn and move your controller.

I just tried the Discodsp version and it crashed reaper straight away :(
Edit: I must have had an old version, reinstalled it and it works and I can control the parameters without any problems.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

sysrqer wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:09 pm It's quite easy, make sure your controller in reaper is enabled, open OBXd, move the parameter, click on Param (top right of plugin window), click Learn and move your controller.

I just tried the Discodsp version and it crashed reaper straight away :(
Edit: I must have had an old version, reinstalled it and it works and I can control the parameters without any problems.
Oh wow, you are a superstar, I never realised it had this feature, just tried it and it works great! Thank you. :)

PS: Noticed that sadly the LV2 version does not handle patch / preset changes. It does work with the VST version.
Last edited by asbak on Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

How do you change the skin on the kxstudio version? The option is greyed out for me.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

sysrqer wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:42 pm How do you change the skin on the kxstudio version? The option is greyed out for me.
That is quite easy. You install the Disco DSP version on your box as well, and then the Obxd version should pick up some of the skins of the Disco DSP version.

You also get the patch banks from KVR (installed with the DiscoDSP version.) Usable in KXStudio Obxd.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's the weird thing, it does pick up the banks but not the skins for some reason. It's stuck in white which I'm not keen on. It's not too much of a problem, both versions work fine for me.
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

And to make it receive patch changes, open the FX window, click on the +, "link to Midi Program change" and select "Link all channels sequentially" or the relevant channel.

Wow, this is now quite usable. 8)

NB: The caveat here is to use the KXStudio Obxd VST Version (which finds & uses the DiscoDSP patch banks if DiscoDSP was installed.)
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

sysrqer wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:50 pm That's the weird thing, it does pick up the banks but not the skins for some reason. It's stuck in white which I'm not keen on. It's not too much of a problem, both versions work fine for me.
If you rightclick on the KXStudio Obxd, it should have a "skins" menu item allowing you to choose from a few skins.
When I didn't have the DiscoDSP version installed yet it didn't have options for skins or user banks. After installing DiscoDSP these were available.

My home folder looks like this

/home/user/Documents/discoDSP/OB-Xd
Banks
MIDI
'OB-Xd Manual.pdf'
Settings.xml
Skins
Skin.xml
Themes

Did you install discoDSP as root or as your user account?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Thanks, that's really useful. I noticed that when I installed discodsp it added the folder to my home directory which made me realise that my XDG dirs config was empty and that's why so many programs and plugins were creating folders in home!

I also thought they went in themes so sorted that out and it's all working now. 8)
asbak
Established Member

Post by asbak »

Fantastic, happy playing \m/

The patches from the "Luke's soundhouse 80's" set are really good so the neighbours have been treated with the bassline from 99 Luftballons :mrgreen: