mixbus 32c channel strip

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sunrat
Established Member

Re: mixbus 32c channel strip

Post by sunrat »

finotti wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:19 am Some more info, from Dan Worrall: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9eySYxwDXI
I saw that (well, most of it). He starts of with the false premise that the plugin should colour the sound which is not its purpose.
I also question the methodology of how he made it null. Obviously it should with no effect applied, but matching 2 different plugins with some processing applied closely enough to null seems like a fairy tale to me.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:43 am A lot of the times these YouTubers are sponsored by other companies so I don't trust too much on what they say no matter if it's a good review or a bad. The best thing to do is try the demo and if you like it you buy it if you don't you leave it.
I couldn't agree more that you should try it yourself. And, certainly, there are very sketchy videos and reviews.

On the other hand, while I do not know the person from the first video, I do trust Dan Worrall. (Of course, that's just me, I am not saying that anyone else should.) And the thing I think is important are the actual tests. Psychologically, most of us have the tendency to hear what we want to hear. (If I pay a lot of money on a piece of gear, I tend to always think it sounds better than cheaper ones.) So, some scientific evidence is welcome to me.
sunrat wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:22 am I saw that (well, most of it). He starts of with the false premise that the plugin should colour the sound which is not its purpose.
I also question the methodology of how he made it null. Obviously it should with no effect applied, but matching 2 different plugins with some processing applied closely enough to null seems like a fairy tale to me.
Maybe it was just me, but I was under the impression that it was supposed to color the sound. If it is modeled after an analog console, which introduces its own individual characteristics (which I thought would include saturation when pushed), it should not be so easy to null with a clean, purely digital EQ.

If I missed it, my bad... But for digital EQ and compression we already have great ones (x42, LSP....). I was expecting something different.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Ben and Gary from Harrison have started a new thread on Mixbus forum to present an official (I guess) view of these concerns. - https://forum.harrisonconsoles.com/thre ... 57538.html
It also contains a detailed test from regular contributor madmaxmiller who was unable to replicate the null output tests the video was based on.