[Video] FOSS Limiter Shootout

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

unfa
Established Member

[Video] FOSS Limiter Shootout

Post by unfa »

Here's my new video, where I test a bunch of limiter plug-ins, old and new to see which is the cleanest, most trustworthy of them all.

https://youtu.be/xinY-4eusYM

Enjoy!
finotti
Established Member

Re: [Video] FOSS Limiter Shootout

Post by finotti »

That was a nice and helpful video, thanks for it!

I do wonder if one could get similar results to the x42 limiter with LSP limiter, though. I certainly see the point that x42 is easier, so for most there would be not much of a point, but, if for nothing else, it would be nice to learn more about the details of how a limiter (or the LSP limiter in particular) works.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Great! I think it'd be awesome if you made a shootout series which covers all types of plugins :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Wow, maybe I should stop using LSP limiter. That would explain some weird behavior I have gotten from it sometimes.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

milo wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:35 pm Wow, maybe I should stop using LSP limiter. That would explain some weird behavior I have gotten from it sometimes.
If you do get something weird with LSP limiter, I'd recommend filing a bug report at GitHub. sadko4u is usually very fast in addressing issues.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Mostly the weird behavior is what @unfa found in the video -- the transient peak is not actually limited very well by the plugin. When I put a limiter on a track hoping to prevent a clip, the clip happens anyway. That has happened to me so many times in the past year. But I just dropped in x42 limiter on the track and it solved the problem with fewer knobs to worry about. I learned a lot by having to tweak all of those knobs, but I think I'm ready for a solution that just works.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

That is totally understandable. Go with what works best for you!

I just wanted to point out that reporting bugs is quite helpful to the developer and the community. Someone might need more fine tuning than x42's limiter allows and having a better LSP limiter would be quite helpful in that situation.

Maybe I will do some experiments and report it myself (if I can reproduce) when I find the time. (Or maybe just point out to unfa's video.)
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I agree. It would be better to have an improved LSP. I always thought it was some kind of user error on my part, but it's pretty easy to see why the behavior happens when you put the output of the plugin on the oscilloscope. Unfortunately the video wasn't very kind or fair to LSP, and I expect @sadko4u's head to explode when he sees it. Hopefully this video will help him debug/improve the DSP code, or maybe improve the documentation if it is a user error.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

I've already described my position to @unfa:
1. You also definitely need to try all knobs in ALR section since ALR works as a compressor with the infinite compression ratio.
2. The LSP does not pretend to be a 'clean' limiter. It does the job it was designed for: prevent short peaks in the audio mix.
3. Trying the limiter on a single instrument is not the good comparison. I would like to recommend to make a 'crank-up' test where you try to get the maximum loudness (RMS/LU) from the final mix. I didn't try the x42 limiter but the Calf one completely lose the 'crank up' game to the LSP limiter in the heavy metal music style. Anyway, such comparison would be more informative for me since limiter is in many cases used as a last device in the mastering section.
I think I need to review a bit the limiter, maybe implement yet another additional algorithm.
But this won't be earlier 1.2.0 since I'm very deep inside of the 1.2.0 release process now.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
unfa
Established Member

Post by unfa »

finotti wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:27 pm If you do get something weird with LSP limiter, I'd recommend filing a bug report at GitHub. sadko4u is usually very fast in addressing issues.
I've got in touch with @sadko4u even before publishing the video to figure this out.
sadko4u wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:15 pm I've already described my position to @unfa:
1. You also definitely need to try all knobs in ALR section since ALR works as a compressor with the infinite compression ratio.
2. The LSP does not pretend to be a 'clean' limiter. It does the job it was designed for: prevent short peaks in the audio mix.
3. Trying the limiter on a single instrument is not the good comparison. I would like to recommend to make a 'crank-up' test where you try to get the maximum loudness (RMS/LU) from the final mix. I didn't try the x42 limiter but the Calf one completely lose the 'crank up' game to the LSP limiter in the heavy metal music style. Anyway, such comparison would be more informative for me since limiter is in many cases used as a last device in the mastering section.
And for the sake of completeness, here is how I replied:
unfa wrote:I see that a single kick might not be the common use case, and a representative test fro limiters (as they usually go on master buses), though I use limiters on single drums or drum buses to cleanly control the transients as well. The single kick seemed like a very clean and easy sound to test with - it has everything that reveals problems: sharp transient, high frequencies and very low frequencies that often crunch on short release times.
One thing I saw is that LSP Limiter Mono had been applying ~4dB of gain reduction on a signal peaking at 0 dBFS, with the threshold being at 0 dB. This is very strange. And also - the attenuation did not actually limit the transient, it has let that through - so it seems to me there's a problem and it sometimes doesn't catch short peaks - at least it did not on default settings in my test.
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (237.07 KiB) Viewed 7202 times
There's two things going wrong in here:
1. Attenuation happens even though signal shouldn't have crossed the threshold yet.
2. Tail of the drum being attenuated instead of the transient.

I am rewatching the video and it seems I did not touch the ALR Attack (5ms by default).
However since there's 5ms of lookahead delay I would expect the attenuation to come in time to catch the transient, and it did not.
I assume it's a bug. As you said - it's made to stop short loud bursts. And even after quite some time spent trying to achieve that by tweaking settings - I still had the loud bursts come through unaffected, while the other parts of the signal were altered in different ways.
Would you like to try and reproduce this on your end?
Here's the kick sample - it's normalized to 0 dBFS so with default settings LSP Limiter should not attenuate that, right?
True_Peak_Kick.zip
(6.2 KiB) Downloaded 78 times