Carla Error and close DAW

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

-Lera-
Established Member

Carla Error and close DAW

Post by -Lera- »

Hello, I have a problem with Carla for which I have not found a solution.

When I try to load a windows vst this screen appears.

I noticed that she mainly does this with the sessions I saved before formatting the pc, but sometimes she does it with new sessions as well.

Other times it loads the vst but then when I try to open it the DAW closes.

Only a few times I load the vst without problems.

Has anyone had the same problem? Eventually how is it resolved?
marbangens
Established Member

Re: Carla Error and close DAW

Post by marbangens »

try https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge
I think and hope carla will detect the plugins use by carla bridge with yabridge
Depending on what wine version and what kernel and configurations windows vst's work fine for me.
-Lera-
Established Member

Post by -Lera- »

marbangens wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:37 pm try https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge
I think and hope carla will detect the plugins use by carla bridge with yabridge
Depending on what wine version and what kernel and configurations windows vst's work fine for me.
Thanks, I also thought about using yabridge but I'm not being able to load it into Ardour.

That said, I still hope to be able to find the solution to the problem in a way that doesn't happen to anyone else.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

-Lera- wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:08 am Thanks, I also thought about using yabridge but I'm not being able to load it into Ardour.
Did you follow the instructions from the readme? So, the Usage section up through the Automatic Setup section. Did yabridgectl report any warnings or errors when you ran `yabridgectl sync`?
-Lera-
Established Member

Post by -Lera- »

robbert-vdh wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:53 am
-Lera- wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:08 am Thanks, I also thought about using yabridge but I'm not being able to load it into Ardour.
Did you follow the instructions from the readme? So, the Usage section up through the Automatic Setup section. Did yabridgectl report any warnings or errors when you ran `yabridgectl sync`?

Yes, I get the message:

"zsh: command not found: yabridgectl"
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

-Lera- wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:02 pm Yes, I get the message:

It's mentioned in the second paragraph here: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... ecommended

If you run just `yabridgectl` in your terminal, your shell (Zsh in your case) will look through the search path directories defined using the PATH environment variable. Because ~/.local/share/yabridge probably isn't part of that environment variable, it cannot find yabridgectl. You need to run ~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl instead, or you can add ~/.local/share/yabridge to your PATH.
-Lera-
Established Member

Post by -Lera- »

robbert-vdh wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:44 pm
-Lera- wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:02 pm Yes, I get the message:

It's mentioned in the second paragraph here: https://github.com/robbert-vdh/yabridge ... ecommended

If you run just `yabridgectl` in your terminal, your shell (Zsh in your case) will look through the search path directories defined using the PATH environment variable. Because ~/.local/share/yabridge probably isn't part of that environment variable, it cannot find yabridgectl. You need to run ~/.local/share/yabridge/yabridgectl instead, or you can add ~/.local/share/yabridge to your PATH.
Ok thanks, I had read wrong.
Now it doesn't give me errors, I try to set it up and then let you know.
-Lera-
Established Member

Post by -Lera- »

I tried, I added the .vst and .vst3 folders as directories but Ardour only sees the vst of the second one.

What could it be?
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

-Lera- wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:46 pm I tried, I added the .vst and .vst3 folders as directories but Ardour only sees the vst of the second one.

What could it be?
Did you force a rescan? Ardour's plugin scanning can be a bit of an adventure of its own at times. Otherwise, make sure the plugins actually show up in `yabridgectl status`, and try rerunning Ardour with `env YABRIDGE_DEBUG_LOG=/tmp/yabridge.log ardour6`, clear the blacklisted plugins, force a rescan, and then check /tmp/yabridge.log.
-Lera-
Established Member

Post by -Lera- »

robbert-vdh wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:35 pm
-Lera- wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:46 pm I tried, I added the .vst and .vst3 folders as directories but Ardour only sees the vst of the second one.

What could it be?
Did you force a rescan? Ardour's plugin scanning can be a bit of an adventure of its own at times. Otherwise, make sure the plugins actually show up in `yabridgectl status`, and try rerunning Ardour with `env YABRIDGE_DEBUG_LOG=/tmp/yabridge.log ardour6`, clear the blacklisted plugins, force a rescan, and then check /tmp/yabridge.log.
With 'yabridge status' the plugins are all seen, I did as you said but Ardor still can't find them. In /tmp/yabridge.log what exactly should I check?
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

-Lera- wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:57 pm

What could it be?
With 'yabridge status' the plugins are all seen, I did as you said but Ardor still can't find them. In /tmp/yabridge.log what exactly should I check?
The contents of the file, either Wine or yabridge probably prints some obvious error or warning there. You can just upload the file to https://hastebin.com/ or something and post the link here!
-Lera-
Established Member

Post by -Lera- »

robbert-vdh wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:19 pm
-Lera- wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:57 pm

The contents of the file, either Wine or yabridge probably prints some obvious error or warning there. You can just upload the file to https://hastebin.com/ or something and post the link here!
Forgive me, I've been trying for 3 days but I can't upload the file.

However I partially solved it by adding the .vst folder to the vst2 directories of Ardour, bbut it still doesn't see all vst.

PS = Thanks a lot for the concussion anyway.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

As mentioned in the readme, you'll need to add the VstPlugins directory in your Wineprefix that you also added to yabridgectl to Ardour's plugin VST2 plugin paths. Otherwise Ardour doesn't know where to search for them.
-Lera-
Established Member

Post by -Lera- »

robbert-vdh wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 am As mentioned in the readme, you'll need to add the VstPlugins directory in your Wineprefix that you also added to yabridgectl to Ardour's plugin VST2 plugin paths. Otherwise Ardour doesn't know where to search for them.
The point is just that, I added the directory to Ardor but it doesn't see them anyway.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

-Lera- wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:02 pm
robbert-vdh wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 am As mentioned in the readme, you'll need to add the VstPlugins directory in your Wineprefix that you also added to yabridgectl to Ardour's plugin VST2 plugin paths. Otherwise Ardour doesn't know where to search for them.
The point is just that, I added the directory to Ardor but it doesn't see them anyway.
Are the plugins actually there? Did `yabridgectl sync` print any warnings or errors, and do the plugins show up when you run `yabridgectl status`? And are they in Ardour's blacklist, or did Ardour not scan them at all? If they're in the blacklist, make sure you downlaoded the correct yabridge verison for your system. If you're using an older distro, like Debian 10, Ubuntu 18.04, Linux Mint 19, or AV-Linux 2021, then you should download the version of yabridge that ends with -ubuntu-18.04.