Carla Error and close DAW

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

-Lera-
Established Member

Re: Carla Error and close DAW

Post by -Lera- »

robbert-vdh wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:06 pm
-Lera- wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:02 pm
robbert-vdh wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:05 am As mentioned in the readme, you'll need to add the VstPlugins directory in your Wineprefix that you also added to yabridgectl to Ardour's plugin VST2 plugin paths. Otherwise Ardour doesn't know where to search for them.
The point is just that, I added the directory to Ardor but it doesn't see them anyway.
Are the plugins actually there? Did `yabridgectl sync` print any warnings or errors, and do the plugins show up when you run `yabridgectl status`? And are they in Ardour's blacklist, or did Ardour not scan them at all? If they're in the blacklist, make sure you downlaoded the correct yabridge verison for your system. If you're using an older distro, like Debian 10, Ubuntu 18.04, Linux Mint 19, or AV-Linux 2021, then you should download the version of yabridge that ends with -ubuntu-18.04.

So here's what appears with "sync" and "status".Image

He gives me the error regarding Dexed (which however is loaded by Ardour anyway); as for the Linux version i use Manjaro, i downloaded the package from aur.archlinux,

Ardour sees me only some of the plugins, others are scanned but do not appear in the Plugin Selector.
Toejam76
Established Member

Post by Toejam76 »

My guess, something is borked with wine. Maybe wine can't load 'yabridge-host.exe' or the plugin, because it doesn't have permission. The drive Z: / should be in the drive tab of 'winecfg'. Carla has a tab with 'Logs' which might reveal what's up if you try to load a plugin. If only lv2,dssi etc appear without the Windows plugins, it's probably a permission thing. Oh, and the 'carla-discovery-32 and 64' should be flagged green in the refresh dialog (just sayin).
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

-Lera- wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:26 am So here's what appears with "sync" and "status". <snip>

He gives me the error regarding Dexed (which however is loaded by Ardour anyway); as for the Linux version i use Manjaro, i downloaded the package from aur.archlinux,

Ardour sees me only some of the plugins, others are scanned but do not appear in the Plugin Selector.
Ah, didn't know you were on Manjaro. But in the screenshot you posted you also downloaded a seperate yabridge build, placed that in ~/.local/share/yabridge, and used a yabridgectl command to hardcode that path. Presumably yabridge-host.exe will still come from /usr/bin, so it could be that by pure coincidence you installed the `yabridge` AUR package, and then updated your system after that which pulled in the Boost update from two weeks. Wine just not being able to load `yabridge-host.exe.so` at all because of missing libraries is the only reason why you would get that message. To fix that, you can just rebuild the `yabridge` package, or switch to `yabridge-bin` which simply uses the prebuilt binaries from GitHub. There's been a yabridge update a week ago anyways, so you would get those changes in the update. So to fix this mess, you would need to do the following:
  1. Remove ~/.local/share/yabridge. That shouldn't be there since you're using the AUR package.
  2. Install yabridge-bin from the AUR (`yay -S yabridge-bin`, or `pamac install yabridge-bin`)
  3. Undo the settings you changed in yabridgectl, since you should just let yabridgectl detect the systemwide installation for you. You can do that by running `yabridgectl set --path-auto`
  4. Finally rerun `yabridgectl sync` to finish the yabridge update.
-Lera-
Established Member

Post by -Lera- »

robbert-vdh wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:22 pm
-Lera- wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:26 am So here's what appears with "sync" and "status". <snip>

Ah, didn't know you were on Manjaro. But in the screenshot you posted you also downloaded a seperate yabridge build, placed that in ~/.local/share/yabridge, and used a yabridgectl command to hardcode that path. Presumably yabridge-host.exe will still come from /usr/bin, so it could be that by pure coincidence you installed the `yabridge` AUR package, and then updated your system after that which pulled in the Boost update from two weeks. Wine just not being able to load `yabridge-host.exe.so` at all because of missing libraries is the only reason why you would get that message. To fix that, you can just rebuild the `yabridge` package, or switch to `yabridge-bin` which simply uses the prebuilt binaries from GitHub. There's been a yabridge update a week ago anyways, so you would get those changes in the update. So to fix this mess, you would need to do the following:
  1. Remove ~/.local/share/yabridge. That shouldn't be there since you're using the AUR package.
  2. Install yabridge-bin from the AUR (`yay -S yabridge-bin`, or `pamac install yabridge-bin`)
  3. Undo the settings you changed in yabridgectl, since you should just let yabridgectl detect the systemwide installation for you. You can do that by running `yabridgectl set --path-auto`
  4. Finally rerun `yabridgectl sync` to finish the yabridge update.
A thousand thanks! I finally did it!
Effectively I downloaded an external version from the aur site.

Trying quickly I only saw that the audio is not heard but I will see better calmly to understand what it is.

Thanks again!
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I have great luck, following this simple formula:

Put all your free or uncomplicated windows plugins in .wine/drive_c/users/VstPlugins.

For more complex commercial plugins like Native Instruments, IK Multimedia, Cakewalk etc
use the installer defaults at first.

Never put windows .dll's in linux-path vst folders, hence never adding those linux folders
to a plugin-wrapper's scan/sync list.

Remember to quote "plugin paths containing spaces" when typing path commands,
so the wrappers can't miss a location. ("Program Files/Native Instruments/name-that.dll" )

Cheers