SOLVED Carla-git does not recognize Win VSTs

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Thomas1974
Established Member

SOLVED Carla-git does not recognize Win VSTs

Post by Thomas1974 »

Hello,

I was recently given a computer and so I took my hard drive out of the other one and installed it into the newer computer. I wouldnt think switching out hard drives would make a difference. Also my external hard drive quit (so I thought), but come to find out it was the casing. Actually where you plug in the USB was really lose and not making a good connection. So I took the drive out of the case and put it in my computer as a second drive. It still had all of my media including the Win VSTs. Well the situation is that for some reason Carla wont recognize the Win VST DLLs now.

I even reconfigured wine and made sure the paths pointed to my VST DLLs.

After I try to refresh/scan for the I get this error message:
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x3a433d68 at address 0x1001d066 (thread 0009), starting debugger...
wine: cannot find '/usr/lib/carla/carla-discovery-win32.exe'
wine: cannot find '/usr/lib/carla/carla-discovery-win64.exe'
Any help would be appreciated.
Last edited by Thomas1974 on Sun May 23, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunrat
Established Member

Re: Carla-git does not recognize Win VSTs

Post by sunrat »

What version of WINE are you using? The most recent ones are known to have problems.
Thomas1974
Established Member

Post by Thomas1974 »

@sunrat
wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Thomas1974 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:03 am wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)
Are you sure? v3 is about a million years old so I'm not surprised it doesn't work with a presumably more recent version of Carla. Install wine-stable 6.0 from winehq and hopefully that works. It's the version I have and it is fine.

I actually asked about your version as 6.3 to 6.7 have been problematic. Never expected such an old version!
Thomas1974
Established Member

Post by Thomas1974 »

sunrat wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:14 am
Thomas1974 wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 3:03 am wine-3.0 (Ubuntu 3.0-1ubuntu1)
Are you sure? v3 is about a million years old so I'm not surprised it doesn't work with a presumably more recent version of Carla. Install wine-stable 6.0 from winehq and hopefully that works. It's the version I have and it is fine.
Cool! Thanks for the tip. Never really use wine for anything. I'll give that a try.
Thomas1974
Established Member

RE: Carla-git does not recognize Win VSTs

Post by Thomas1974 »

@sunrat I want to thank you for your suggestion! I updated wine and it is now working! oh yea, I also had a brainfart and had the Exe. and Prefix backwards within Carla's configuration! One thing I noticed was when I ran a dry run, sudo apt -s install wine that I was up to date. I am still using Ubuntu 18.04. I know! 3 years old, but it's LTS! But the last time I did anything with wine was with Carla and that was sometime last year. I know Ubuntu is usually behind with these things (and especially older versions) but Im not going to complain. Anyway... just wanted to thank you for the help and I will mark this solved.