Amps in GxPlugins

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Musicteacher
Established Member

Amps in GxPlugins

Post by Musicteacher »

Hi,
I have a question about the amps in the GxPlugins (extra Plugins).

I like to use the supersonic and the cream machine, both are complete amps with speaker simulation at the end.

Then there is, for instance:

GxBlueAmp.lv2electric_plug - Single - ended head amplifier simulation inspired by late 1950s Fender “Princeton” and “Champ” amplifier designs, it delivers tight bass, clean mids and highs.

From "head" I conclude that there is no speaker simulation included and one would have to add a cabinet simulation at the end.

What about the plexi?

If you think this is a dumb question: I am sorry to say, but I have bad ears, especially in the highs, so it is not so easy for me to hear if there is a speker simulation included or not.
Thanks in advance!
Musicteacher
Established Member

Re: Amps in GxPlugins

Post by Musicteacher »

From testing with my bad ears: I think, the plexi does not include a speaker (as the original plexi), for me, it sounds much better with gxcabinet after it.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

The GxBlueAmp is indeed just the amp head without cabinet simulation, while the Plexi include a cabinet sim, but that doesn't mean that you can't add a other cab sim after it. The included cab is just a basic filter, not a convolver like the GxCabinet.
Here is how I made the GxPlexi amp sim:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19806
On the road again.
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Thank you!
It's good to know that it's not bad to use two speaker simulations in a row, I had thought that this would take away too much presence.

I was looking for an alternative to gxSupersonic for Clean/low distortion sounds, the supersonic is great for darker sounds, but even with low gain it is very compressed. The plexi gives more dynamics, feels "crispier", and still gives a very nice crunch if you give it more gain.

Thanks for the gread plugins,

Andreas
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Yea, it turns out out that the GxSuperSonic get more love from Bass Players then expected. I've usually made it indeed for some dark guitar sound I needed but this day's it is mostly used by Bass Players.
The Plexi may need a distortion pedal (simulation) in front to shine, I like it with the GxSunFace in front and a Cabinet simulation behind.
On the road again.
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Good advice! I'll give that a try and also try out the supersonic with bass.