Carla: Not able to control mute button with foodswitch FCB1010

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DisasterArea
Established Member

Carla: Not able to control mute button with foodswitch FCB1010

Post by DisasterArea »

Hello,
I am more or less new to MIDI and carla but I think I have understand how to use midi learn and how to program Behringer FCB1010 footswitch.
Here is what I'm going to try and afterwards I tell, what I really want, hoping, that someone could help.

I programmed FCB1010 footswitch number 9 so that it does not even send Program Change MIDI command (standard) but also CC 26 value 0. Footswitch number 10 sends program change and CC26 value 1. I can see this with midesnoop.

In carla I loaded Calf Stereo tools, hoping that I can use the mute button via footswitch. So in the carla parameter view I activated MIDI Learn and yes, it learned CC26 for mute left button. I also assigned this CC to mute right button. The values are minimum 0 and maximum 1.

I expect, that pressing footswitch 9 mutes left and right and footswitch 10 unmutes. But it does not, nothing happens. Where is the mistake that I have done?

And here now, what I really want: I just want to use one footswitch (i.e. number 10) to flipflop mute. Pressing the switch should mute, when it is unmuted and vice versa. How to do this with carla and the whole MIDI stuff?

Regards and see you tomorrow. Its late here in Germany.

Frank
Ubuntu Studio 22.04, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, NI Komplete Audio 6, Acoustic and E-Guitar, E-Bass, Modular Synth (Cardinal) KORG Nano Control Studio, Novation Launchkey 25
tramp
Established Member

Re: Carla: Not able to control mute button with foodswitch FCB1010

Post by tramp »

You need to enable "Send Control Changes" in the "Edit" window of Calf Stereo Tools first. Then you do midi learn on the first Mute Button, for the second one you select "Midi Control" and insert the number of the control you use for the first Mute button.
Your midi controller must be setup as toggle switch, means it send 0 when off and 127 when on.
A midi value change from 0 to 1 does nothing on a toggle.
On the road again.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

I have set the FCB1010 like this:
Setup Behringer FCB1010 (w/ UnO chip) STOMPBOX mode with G-Major 2 ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0Lp_JuOD1k
Setup Behringer FCB1010 (w/ UnO chip) Expression pedals with G-Major 2 ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcIvW_J1LXQ

To reduce the hum of the FCB1010 I did this:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21586&p=120094&hili ... 10#p120094
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
DisasterArea
Established Member

Post by DisasterArea »

Dear @khz , the UnO chip is a good idea but after doing half an our searching the web it seems not to be possible to buy one here in Europe. I didn't find the original UnO software as well. If so, I could get help from a friend who knows how to burn eproms.
I only found a ebay site to buy it but I'm unsure, if I could trust.

If you could give a link for the UnO software or a site to buy, it would be great.

Dear @tramp , maybe I find time to try your solution but the FCB1010 does not work as a toggle switch. I thought there is a way to do it with the MIDI filters and other MIDI plug-ins of carla.

Regards

Frank
Ubuntu Studio 22.04, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, NI Komplete Audio 6, Acoustic and E-Guitar, E-Bass, Modular Synth (Cardinal) KORG Nano Control Studio, Novation Launchkey 25
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Back when I bought the Un0 Eprom, the HP looked different, but isn't that the (original) page? https://www.fcb1010.eu/
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
DisasterArea
Established Member

Post by DisasterArea »

Dear @khz, I guess you are right, that seems to be the right page. Don't know why I didn't find.

So they offer two different versions. The newer one, UnO2, seems to be more flexible. Am I right that UnO2 will work without the TinyBox that they also offer?
Do you know the new kind of editor for programming that comes with the UnO2? Have you used it?

Regards

Frank
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Hmmm...
2.Install the UnO2 ControlCenter software The software installer (both Windows and Mac versions) can be downloaded at https://www.fcb1010.eu/ccdownload.phpYou will need the registration data mentioned on the chip packaging to access the downloads. Store the package safely, since you will need this registration data later on for downloading software updates of for getting a discount on future firmware update chips!
2. Install the UnO2 ControlCenter software.. https://www.fcb1010.eu/downloads/UnO2_Usermanual.pdf
:-(
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

TLDR, sorry for that. But in case of problems with making your controller to send events like you want, I suggest mididings. With that you can create state machine which togles CC values 0 and 127 when receiving same event from your controller.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM