Helm: distinguish channels on midi learn

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

arentel
Established Member

Helm: distinguish channels on midi learn

Post by arentel »

Hi, everyone. I've been using Helm for a while and now I want to map a lot of Helms parameters to my midi controller, AKAI mpk miniplay. I want to use the same midi CC number but on different midi channels to different parameters in Helm.

CC 64 Channel 1 > assign it to one parameter (i.e. filter-cutoff)
CC 64 Channel 2 > assign it to another parameter (i.e. filter-depth)
CC 64 Channel 3 > assign it to one parameter (i.e. delay-mix)

etc

How can I achieve this in helm?

If I use it as a plugin in qtractor, the plugin properties window do learn and specify the channel of the assigned midi CC, but Helm still responds on both parameters at the same time when receiving any of the CC messages. Is this something related to Helm's code only or maybe it could be solved with any other plugin in the DAW (midi filters, etc.), or messing around with ports and connections in jack-midithrouhg-a2j??

The goal is to map as many parameters (more than eight) as I can to my controller. The Akai has only eight knobs, but it also has eight different programs (and I can assign each program to a different channel), so I should be able to map 64 different parameters.

Thank you very much in advance, any help would be very much appreciated.
LAM
Established Member

Re: Helm: distinguish channels on midi learn

Post by LAM »

I don't know if it is possible, i guess Helm is listening an all channels.
One way to achieve what you want is to use MIDI filters (https://x42-plugins.com/x42/x42-midifilter) and remap incoming MIDI cc on different channel to different MIDI cc numbers on the same channel.
Let's say for example:
CC 64 Channel 1 > CC 64 Channel 1
CC 64 Channel 2 > CC 65 Channel 1
CC 64 Channel 3 > CC 66 Channel 1

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

arentel
Established Member

Post by arentel »

Hi @LAM, thanks for the suggestion and sorry for the delay, but doing it like you say would force me to use too many CC numbers, I'd rather keep the best practice of using only the CC numbers that are undefined on Midi specs (3, 9, 14-15, 20-31, 85-90, 102-119), as I've noticed that Helm uses some of the default CC assignments like 66=sostenuto, etc.

So, this can be only done on Helm's side, right? I mean, by adding this "filtering midi channels" feature on the code. I think it would be very useful, for instance, assigning the 8 (in my case) CC numbers on channel 1 for the Filter parameters, on channel 2 for the Delay parameters, channel 3 for the Arpegiattor, etc.

Thanks again,
Pilar
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

arentel wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:04 am So, this can be only done on Helm's side, right? I mean, by adding this "filtering midi channels" feature on the code. I think it would be very useful, for instance, assigning the 8 (in my case) CC numbers on channel 1 for the Filter parameters, on channel 2 for the Delay parameters, channel 3 for the Arpegiattor, etc.

Thanks again,
Pilar
I don't know the Helm code (and I'm not a programmer, sorry), but if you can I guess you can implement this in the Helm code, not sure is the easiest solution though.

Without coding, given that Helm is listening on all channels, it doesn't make a difference if a MIDI CC is coming from channel 1 or channel 7, you could as I suggested remap the same MID CC coming from different channels to different MIDI CC on the same channel.

Hope it helps. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen