Is there some good 'how to compile linux plugin' page available?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Is there some good 'how to compile linux plugin' page available?

Post by tavasti »

It seems to be pretty common to hit to free or commercial linux vst plugins which aren't compiled statically. Sometimes they are such that they just don't work in Ardour/Mixbus, because of clashing to library versions of DAW, and now it seems to be somewhat common to hit plugins that need more recent glibc. For example recent Audio Assault plugins don't work in my Ubuntu 18.04.

Therefore it would be handy to have some page, written by someone who really know this stuff. Instead of trying to explain thing to plugin maker, I could just give link.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

bluebell
Established Member

Re: Is there some good 'how to compile linux plugin' page available?

Post by bluebell »

tavasti wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:53 am It seems to be pretty common to hit to free or commercial linux vst plugins which aren't compiled statically. Sometimes they are such that they just don't work in Ardour/Mixbus, because of clashing to library versions of DAW, and now it seems to be somewhat common to hit plugins that need more recent glibc. For example recent Audio Assault plugins don't work in my Ubuntu 18.04.

Therefore it would be handy to have some page, written by someone who really know this stuff. Instead of trying to explain thing to plugin maker, I could just give link.
Look at the github page for the desired plugin. Each plugin programmer has his own build procedure. Some prefer "./configure && make && sudo make install", some like ccmake and cmake, some prefer waf and others love other strange tools. If you are unlucky then they demand super-duper-recent versions of them that are not available as a package for your Linux distro. Such annoyances separate the boys from the men :)

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

bluebell wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:42 am Look at the github page for the desired plugin. Each plugin programmer has his own build procedure. Some prefer "./configure && make && sudo make install", some like ccmake and cmake, some prefer waf and others love other strange tools. If you are unlucky then they demand super-duper-recent versions of them that are not available as a package for your Linux distro. Such annoyances separate the boys from the men :)
I am writing bug report for commercial linux plugins, so no github page nor possibility to build them myself.

autostatic
Established Member

Post by autostatic »

So you are asking if there is a page where you can find generic instructions on how to compile your software so commercial and/or freeware plugin makers can be pointed to that page whenever there are library or possible compilation issues? And you want to be able to help them out quickly by being able to point them to a compilation wiki of some sorts? If so, I don't think such a wiki or page exists but the information the devs need should be readily available either online or in the documentation of the compiler they're using. Of course it would be great if such information would be readily available in a central place but I fear that's quite some work and the information also needs to be maintained.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

autostatic wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:17 am So you are asking if there is a page where you can find generic instructions on how to compile your software so commercial and/or freeware plugin makers can be pointed to that page whenever there are library or possible compilation issues? And you want to be able to help them out quickly by being able to point them to a compilation wiki of some sorts? If so, I don't think such a wiki or page exists but the information the devs need should be readily available either online or in the documentation of the compiler they're using. Of course it would be great if such information would be readily available in a central place but I fear that's quite some work and the information also needs to be maintained.
I don't think I would need detailed instruction page, but page where is explained why plugins need to be statically linked, and possibly mentioning those big UI libs (gnome/qt) that may cause problems, I think even with statically linked?

Such page would help reporting bugs, and sure would in the long run result more and better native linux plugins.

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

As you talking about JUCE-plugins there are some important points which must be considered on Linux:

set JUCE_WEB_BROWSER="0"
set JUCE_USE_CURL="0" if plugin doesn't need curl

add extraCompilerFlags="-fvisibility=hidden"
add extraLinkerFlags="-fdata-sections -ffunction-sections -Wl,--gc-sections -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed -Wl,--strip-all"
the latest is taken from FigBug's plugins https://github.com/FigBug?tab=repositories

according the glibc, yes it's preferably to take oldest but LTS distro: CenOS 7 or Ubuntu 18.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Kott wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 am according the glibc, yes it's preferably to take oldest but LTS distro: CenOS 7 or Ubuntu 18.
Isn't Ubuntu 16.04 still supported for ~2 months?

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

tavasti wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 11:00 am
Kott wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:02 am according the glibc, yes it's preferably to take oldest but LTS distro: CenOS 7 or Ubuntu 18.
Isn't Ubuntu 16.04 still supported for ~2 months?
I don't know much about Ubuntu, afaik 18 is the most commonly installed.
And it's not easy to build recent plugins on old distros, for example you need the more fresh gcc, cmake.