Essential Linux plugins? (Mainly looking for SFZ & SoundFont players).

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

uns4ph3
Established Member

Re: Essential Linux plugins? (Mainly looking for SFZ & SoundFont players).

Post by uns4ph3 »

I text Zrythm every build and yes it is not production ready.

I primarily use Ardour, but bitwig, reaper, and the other suggestions are all good ones.

For tape and other analog saturation, check out Airwindows plugins (I use ToTape6 on all my masters). His stuff is the cats meow.

For sfz, I just use Carla and it's baked in soundfont player (I think it's sfizz).
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

Death wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:36 pm They're in the .lv2 folder in home where my other lv2 plugins are. Maybe that's why it won't detect them. It detects the others though so that's weird. I'll try moving them. Thanks for the tip.

I think I'm probably putting this experiment on hold for a while anyway. I've spent the entire weekend messing about with Linux music software and have been hitting my head against the wall the entire time. I'm pretty disappointed with the outcome. I didn't even get to try out most of the plugins I downloaded because I didn't actually make any music Just trying to check the sf2 & sfz files I downloaded caused enough pain. I just find there's a lack of polish & quality of life features in a lot of Linux music software. I know why that is and I don't mean to complain but it's just not where I'd like it to be yet. Back to FLS in Wine for now.. I just want to make some music..

Thanks everyone for the all the tips on plugins! I have installed a lot of them and built a list detailing them. So, next time I try making music on Linux software, I'll have a bit less work to put in when I start out :)
That's what all of my weekends were like 2012-2013. :)

The situation is considerably better now though. I honestly think you should just start by mostly using plugins you're already familiar with on Win / Mac or that people are commonly using on those platforms. The "Linux-only" stuff tends to be what lacks the polish. Not that there wouldn't be some good stuff there too, but it's just too much to wade through.

Would you like to list as some of your "essential plugins" you've been using on other platforms? We could try to think of the alternatives on Linux.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

WforWoollyMammoth wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:35 am That's what all of my weekends were like 2012-2013. :)

The situation is considerably better now though. I honestly think you should just start by mostly using plugins you're already familiar with on Win / Mac or that people are commonly using on those platforms. The "Linux-only" stuff tends to be what lacks the polish. Not that there wouldn't be some good stuff there too, but it's just too much to wade through.

Would you like to list as some of your "essential plugins" you've been using on other platforms? We could try to think of the alternatives on Linux.
I have enough plugins to get going with. The main issue with those was SFZ & Soundfont players. The real problem for me after this test is the same as it's always been - Linux DAWs are just not where I'd like them to be. It's ok though, I've just put this project on the back burner and will casually play around until I find a setup that works for me someday. At the moment, I just want to make some music so I'm using the software I already know.

Cheers :wink: