shimmer reverb

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

elcalen
Established Member

Re: shimmer reverb

Post by elcalen »

Shiroverb appears to be mono input only? That might work for a guitar, but I'm mostly working with synths, ambience samples etc that are usually stereo, so it's probably not for me.

To be clear, TAL Reverb 4 has nothing that makes it particularly more suitable for a shimmer effect chain that any other generic reverb. I just like it because it's very straightforward and relatively cpu efficient. (Speaking of custom shimmer chains, I've noticed that a lot of pitch shift plugins tend to add a fair bit of latency. Not necessarily a problem when mixing, but something you might want to take into account if you happen to work with low latency...)

As for how to use shimmer... like I said previously, I personally have very little experience with using shimmer, but like with any audio effect, there's no rules, do whatever sounds good to you. Like with any reverb effect, you probably don't want to overuse it, though, if you don't want to make everything sound too washed out and muddy. Since it's a very atmospheric, ambient sort of effect, it seems to work best with slow pads and the like. Or at least that's how I expect I'll end up using it...
Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

@sunrat I like to use shimmer like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s29crn ... sp=sharing , but the possibilities are endless, it can go really Wild and give you the craziest sounds you can think of.
@elcalen yes Shiroverb is mono only, for stereo use Gx_Shimmizita.

Cheers,

Rodney
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

sunrat wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:32 am How do people usually use shimmer reverb? Single instrument, groups, or whole mix? Tracks I've heard that seem to use it have maybe a synth patch in the background with lots of shimmer and shorter reverbs on other instruments. Although one album I have, The beautiful "Birds of Passage - The Death of Our Invention" sounds like it is on almost everything.
I must check out shiroverb and TAL Reverb 4.
I usually put one instance on a send and route almost everything to it in varying amounts - some things a lot more than others. I run a gentle compressor on it to create/enhance movement and to stop any massive peaks, unless I want them of course. I can go into more detail but that's the basic idea. I just love the atmosphere it creates. You can have it as a very noticeable effect for a big ambience or it can act as texture and movement underneath the song, or both at the same time.

Another thing I sometimes do is put it on a single instrument and have the mix 100% wet which can basically turn anything into a what I'd describe as a dynamic pad.

And here's another idea incase it's of use. Try routing the shimmer and all your other reverbs into one track and compressing them together there. If done right, the movement and interplay between them all can create a hell of an atmosphere. Although 'hell' is probably not the best word to use because it actually sounds amazing :)

Just keep in mind that I generally work on quite dreamy sounding music so this might not work as well for something more aggressive. Probably not..
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

@Death I would love to hear your music! Where can I find it? Very interested to hear what you do with the shimmer stuff.

Thanks
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

Rodney wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:38 pm @Death I would love to hear your music! Where can I find it? Very interested to hear what you do with the shimmer stuff.

Thanks
I'll give you a couple of examples :)

Here's one with a very noticeable Shimmer effect: https://soundcloud.com/alonewolfsmusic/ ... s-not-over

And here's one where the effect is still very noticeable but is not making such a big ambience: https://soundcloud.com/alonewolfsmusic/ ... ing-dreams

You can of course have it even less noticeable which can still give the music a very nice ambience and texture. It really doesn't have to be a strong effect. I just like it when it is ;)
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Death wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:11 pm I'll give you a couple of examples :)

Here's one with a very noticeable Shimmer effect: https://soundcloud.com/alonewolfsmusic/ ... s-not-over

And here's one where the effect is still very noticeable but is not making such a big ambience: https://soundcloud.com/alonewolfsmusic/ ... ing-dreams
Thanks for posting those, I enjoyed both those tracks, particularly the postrock one.
I still don't understand what postrock is though. Do the musicians post all their parts separately to be subsequently mixed, or is it music to listen to while sitting on a post? :mrgreen: but seriously, I find it troubling that music has to be sorted and named into genre boxes.
I do regularly listen to and enjoy a Youtube channel called 'Where Postrock Dwells".
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

sunrat wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:32 am Thanks for posting those, I enjoyed both those tracks, particularly the postrock one.
I still don't understand what postrock is though. Do the musicians post all their parts separately to be subsequently mixed, or is it music to listen to while sitting on a post? :mrgreen: but seriously, I find it troubling that music has to be sorted and named into genre boxes.
I do regularly listen to and enjoy a Youtube channel called 'Where Postrock Dwells".
Cool :)

I never came up with the term haha.. But I've been listening to music like that for a long time and that's what people call it. I feel like the term didn't really appear until the early 2000s. I never remember a single person saying it in the 90s.. I'm also not a fan of music genre names with 'Post' in them. There is no post anything in music. Things just change in popularity, that's all. But anyway... I love the style :D
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Mogwai formed 1995, Dirty Three 1992, must have been"pre-post-rock" back then. :mrgreen:
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

sunrat wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:37 am Mogwai formed 1995, Dirty Three 1992, must have been"pre-post-rock" back then. :mrgreen:
Or just Rock? :P
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Death wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:45 am
sunrat wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:37 am Mogwai formed 1995, Dirty Three 1992, must have been"pre-post-rock" back then. :mrgreen:
Or just Rock? :P
Haha, yeah, exactly my point. My Bloody Valentine 1983 was called shoegaze back then but now are also listed as post-rock. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-rock_bands Not so sure about some acts on that list.
Bloody genre pigeonholing. Don't get me started on sub-genres of EDM, or metal. I can imagine fans saying "I love black metal but hate dark metal".
Anyway, slightly OT for this thread but interesting to ponder. Only slightly OT as I'm sure shimmer reverb is popular with postrock producers.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

sunrat wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:08 am Haha, yeah, exactly my point. My Bloody Valentine 1983 was called shoegaze back then but now are also listed as post-rock. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_post-rock_bands Not so sure about some acts on that list.
Bloody genre pigeonholing. Don't get me started on sub-genres of EDM, or metal. I can imagine fans saying "I love black metal but hate dark metal".
Anyway, slightly OT for this thread but interesting to ponder. Only slightly OT as I'm sure shimmer reverb is popular with postrock producers.
Yes, exactly haha :)

I think people would still call them Shoegaze. But yeh, it gets silly sometimes with the sub-genres.

I agree, Shimmer reverb is totally a Postrock thing. Who the hell uses it more!?
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Been playing live Mogwai clips on YouTube all morning, inspired by this topic. Astonishingly great band. 8)
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

@Death thanks for sharing! I really liked it :D. I totally agree ,I personally like to use the shimmer as a subtle effect like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s29crn ... sp=sharing . I did that using Shiroverb but I am digging GxShimmizita, it´s so crazy, you get a lot of really insane sounds. So much fun :D
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

sunrat wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:27 am Been playing live Mogwai clips on YouTube all morning, inspired by this topic. Astonishingly great band. 8)
Quick, get working on some music while the inspiration lives :D
Rodney wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:13 am @Death thanks for sharing! I really liked it :D. I totally agree ,I personally like to use the shimmer as a subtle effect like this: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s29crn ... sp=sharing . I did that using Shiroverb but I am digging GxShimmizita, it´s so crazy, you get a lot of really insane sounds. So much fun :D

Cool :) I tried to check out your one but couldn't get it to play :/ Is it available anywhere else?
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

HI @Death , sorry to hear that, I´ve set google drive to share with anyone who has the link, but I can email to you, no problem. it´s a just a test actually using my guitar, but it sounds pretty good.

Cheers,

Rodney