rakarrak problems

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Plug&Play
Established Member

rakarrak problems

Post by Plug&Play »

I tried rakarrak and as I said in viewtopic.php?p=128253#p128253
I had nothing but trouble with it: it crashed, stuttered, I could only get a few plugins to work, and the sound was poor, and Yoshimi had to be restarted often, it just froze. Yoshimi has been very reliable on my system when running without rakarrak.

Should I go back and try to fix it? I recently changed JACK to
  • Sample rate 48,000
  • frames/period 32
  • Periods per buffer 3
Could that be why Yoshimi it is freezing?

Rob

Music Music Music !
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: rakarrak problems

Post by sysrqer »

Try with more generous jack settings. Not sure why it would freeze but 32 frames is very low.
uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

32 frames is extreme. I only barely notice any lag at 256, so you might try 128 frames to see if that solves your issue
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
Plug&Play
Established Member

Post by Plug&Play »

Setting the frames/period to 128 seems to be much better.

Thanks to all

Rob

Music Music Music !
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I also get crashes (segfaults) with rakarrack. Too bad, it's one of my favorite guitar processors because it's so lightweight...I hope someone will pick it up, I volunteer for co-maintaining a modern fork
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Basslint wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:20 pm I also get crashes (segfaults) with rakarrack. Too bad, it's one of my favorite guitar processors because it's so lightweight...I hope someone will pick it up, I volunteer for co-maintaining a modern fork
I keep thinking that I would like to develop a modern remake of rakarrack, but I can't commit to it right right.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Michael Willis wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:55 pm I keep thinking that I would like to develop a modern remake of rakarrack, but I can't commit to it right right.
I thought of a Rust rewrite of rakarrack. Not because Rust is the fancy thing right now but because rakarrack is a mature, finished program with some segfault issues and it could benefit from Rust. Also, Rust would benefit from a finished audio program.

But then I wouldn't want to waste @ssj71's work on https://github.com/ssj71/rkrlv2 . Maybe rakarrack would be better of as a LV2 host which preloads rkrlv2 plugins, but something tells me performance wouldn't be the same (not because of @ssj71's excellent work, of course)
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

uns4ph3
Established Member

Post by uns4ph3 »

Why reinvent the wheel with the host piece, and just code it as a series of plugins that can be loaded and routed via Carla?
Search for Fusterclucker on your favorite streaming platforms to hear my awful music, and go visit my blog for my inane rants.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

uns4ph3 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:38 am Why reinvent the wheel with the host piece, and just code it as a series of plugins that can be loaded and routed via Carla?
rakarrack already is being actively developed as a series of LV2 plugins https://github.com/ssj71/rkrlv2

The problem with the Carla approach is that rakarrack would lose its identity as a program, and would also be harder to use for people who just want something to plug and play.

Creating a host that looks like rakarrack would not inconvenience old users, while bringing the flexibility of LV2 plugins for the rest.

I feel that for rakarrack, the sum of the parts is superior to the parts taken singularly. If we talk about using LV2 plugins, there are definitely superior options to the rakarrack effects. rakarrack's strength is in its lightness and simplicity.

gauderbock
Established Member

Post by gauderbock »

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

gauderbock wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:12 am Is this of interrest? https://github.com/Stazed/rakarrack-plus
Wow, yeah, that's it! Thanks :D @Michael Willis we have no excuse not to contribute at least with bug reports now :D

khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Is Rakarack-plus now optimized for multiprocessors?
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.