Wow! GxPlexi!!!!

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Wow! GxPlexi!!!!

Post by funkmuscle »

Just wanted to say that if anyone has any dull sounding guitar tracks that need some life added to it then all you have to do is add this plugin, GxPlexi!!
I was cleaning up some songs I did years ago using one of those DigiTech amp simulators and back then I thought it sounded great but I almost threw up when I listened recently so I didn't want to redo all the guitars with my updated hardware so I went looking for a plugin in the right place that's all set up for mostly guitars, the Guitarix team.
Because I love the old Plexi, that plugin jumped out at me and as I put it over the dough rhythm guitar track without changing any of the settings, the guitars jumped out of the speakers. Used it on the happily distorted tracks and also the clean tracks and it just brought everything to life.
I highly recommend checking all of the GX plugins. Heck if you wanted to add some saturation to a snare drum and you wanted to experiment to try one of the fuzz face plugins that's in the suite or anything else in there.
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: Wow! GxPlexi!!!!

Post by sysrqer »

funkmuscle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:54 pm Heck if you wanted to add some saturation to a snare drum and you wanted to experiment to try one of the fuzz face plugins that's in the suite or anything else in there.
Yeah definitely, I used to use all sorts of plugins from the collection for vocal fx when I worked with a vocalist, the DS and multiband distortion one were always firm favourites. They are also fun for drums, set it up in parallel, smash it, and blend it, makes some really nice textures.
For guitar I'm quite impressed with the GxVMK2, it seems to suit my Gretsch for clean tones.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:46 pm
funkmuscle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:54 pm Heck if you wanted to add some saturation to a snare drum and you wanted to experiment to try one of the fuzz face plugins that's in the suite or anything else in there.
Yeah definitely, I used to use all sorts of plugins from the collection for vocal fx when I worked with a vocalist, the DS and multiband distortion one were always firm favourites. They are also fun for drums, set it up in parallel, smash it, and blend it, makes some really nice textures.
For guitar I'm quite impressed with the GxVMK2, it seems to suit my Gretsch for clean tones.
I should give that one a shot because I have a few more songs that have done with that not so impressive sounding hardware amplifier simulator but I've always loved the sounds of the old Marshalls..
I actually only bought the DigiTech because of the whammy effect. From there I moved to a Vox tone lab pedal amplifier simulator and that one didn't sound too bad but I ended up having to use IR cabinets so then I moved to the Mooer mini pedals which I love and from there the Mooer preamplive.
I'm just not a software amplifier simulator kind of guy. For some reason they don't respond to my playing and especially most of them you need to just put in a direct track and then dress It up. I'm not from the school of being technical but more of the freestyle school of Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen and guys like that. Today is guitar playing kind of scare me because you wonder if it's a robot or these guys recording OneNote at a time at a slower speed and then speeding it up but then again some of them are just incredibly technically gifted and I never wanted to be that so I need an amplifier that I can actually have respond to my playing and that's why I go with the hardware.

I went through that long explanation just in case somebody wanted to know why I'm not using Guitarix as my main amplifier.
I do use it if I don't want to go with plugins and I just want to reamp an old track. I just can't use it as an amplifier. I guess I'm very old school that way.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

@funkmuscle
are you going with latest master from guitarix? Some work have been done, mainly by ZamAudio on the tube emulation, which improve the dynamic response a lot.

Otherwise, thanks, my friend, letting me know that some of the plugs I've done been of some use.
On the road again.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

tramp wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:47 pm @funkmuscle
are you going with latest master from guitarix? Some work have been done, mainly by ZamAudio on the tube emulation, which improve the dynamic response a lot.

Otherwise, thanks, my friend, letting me know that some of the plugs I've done been of some use.
You know what dude, I've been meaning to try that and I haven't yet. When I get home I will give it a shot. I'm constantly updating it every time and as I said I use it to reamp if I don't feel like using a plugin or if the recording was so bad that the plugin cannot help it leading me to do some reamping but I have not plugged in to it yet. I'm going to try for sure when I get home and give you feedback.
And yes man your plugins have been used like crazy but I never used it to liven up a dead sounding track.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

@tramp
Way move responsive. Haven't used Guitarix like this in a long time. Was refreshing!
Another issue I've had with software amps is that I hear my clean DI sound along with the amp. That drastically affects my playing. This happen with other ampsims like Sigma which runs natively on Linux from Audio Assault. I may be wrong on the company's name.
I completely forgot about that until I just plugged in and I remembered why I went to hardware.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Yea, for live using virtual amps you must turn off direct monitoring. Depending on the sound-card you use, that is possible in hardware, or with the alsa mixer for the card.
To find the controller for it I usually turn down all input controls, then connect my guitar input with the output in jack, and turn one of the input controls on. When I hear my guitar, I disconnect it in jack, when I then still hear it, I turn it down again and try the next. When I could only hear my guitar while it is connected in jack input to output, I've found the needed control. All other input controls I leave off.
On the road again.