Incapable of installing Calf Studio Gear and Linux Studio Plugins on Fedora. Please help!

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Herderz
Established Member

Incapable of installing Calf Studio Gear and Linux Studio Plugins on Fedora. Please help!

Post by Herderz »

Hi,

I spent several hours trying to install some plugins on my Fedora with no succes. On Calf studio gear website it says, that it can be installed "via software center or package management system of your preferred distribution". Fedora is listed beneath as a distribution, that supposrts this, however I couldn’t find CSG neither on fedoraproject.org nor on flathub.org nor in Software center. Sadly, I don’t have any programming skills, so I can’t just download source and compile it.

What’s about LSP, it say on their website "Binary distributions are ready to launch, just copy them to the appropriate directory. " I copied it in ~/.lv2 folder, but my DAW (Ardour) didn’t find it.

Any ideas, what to do? I would hate to abandon mixing music on linux just because I can’t get the plugins I need.
Thanks a lot for any advice.
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: Incapable of installing Calf Studio Gear and Linux Studio Plugins on Fedora. Please help!

Post by sadko4u »

Herderz wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:34 pm What’s about LSP, it say on their website "Binary distributions are ready to launch, just copy them to the appropriate directory. " I copied it in ~/.lv2 folder, but my DAW (Ardour) didn’t find it.
Please show your ~/.lv2 directory tree resectively to the lsp-plugins installation.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
sadko4u
Established Member

Re: Incapable of installing Calf Studio Gear and Linux Studio Plugins on Fedora. Please help!

Post by sadko4u »

Additionally, there are already latest LSP Plugins for Fedora 33 and 34 available in official distribution:

https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/lsp-plugins
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

Install then using the CLI

Use

Code: Select all

sudo dnf search calf
to find the names then

Code: Select all

sudo dnf install lv2-calf-plugins-gui.x86_64 lv2-calf-plugins.x86_64
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

As another alternative, if needed, sometimes the 'alien' command
can be used to convert a debian package to an rpm package,
and root user installs the new .rpm as

rpm -i name-of.rpm

Conversion command would be

alien -r name-of.deb

Installing Alien may bring with it a list of apt and debian file depencies,
and as a rule, alien is not recommended to use on crucial system files.
Of which group audio plugins do not belong. I've used it on plugins, printer-drivers,
and a few useful utilities that were ubuntu/debian only, when first released,
back in the Fedora 19 and 22 days.
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Also, remove any ladspa calf version, before installing calf lv2 or vst versions.
Conflicts between those may or may not have been fixed in Fedora.
Cheers
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

If you're feeling brave add the ycollett LinuxMAO copr repository as it has a heap of audio software packaged for Fedora

https://copr.fedorainfracloud.org/coprs ... /linuxmao/
Herderz
Established Member

Post by Herderz »

Thank you guys a lot! @Baggypants I tried your advice and it worked.@sadko4u thank you for that link! @glowrak guy thanks for your advice, unfortunately I am too much of a noob to use it.