VST for playing sf2?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

foul_owl
Established Member

VST for playing sf2?

Post by foul_owl »

Currently using sfizz for sfz, and it works great.

I was using Carla for sf2, but unlike sfizz and dragonfly reverb I can't get it to work across platforms. Using Carla version 2.2.0.

My friend is trying to open the project in MacOS. We are both on Reaper 6.14, both on 64 bit OSes, both using the 64 bit version of Reaper and 64 bit for all plugins. We noticed that the carla plugin is "carlarackFX" on MacOS rather than "Carla-RackFX" on Linux, which could be the issue. (I tested in a Windows VM also, looks like the plugin is also named "carlarackFX")

In any case, we're only using Carla to play sf2 files. It looks like Carla just uses fluidsynth anyway. Is there simply a fluidsynth vst that can play sf2 files? Preferably something that has been tested and verified as cross platform?

(or a way to get carla to work cross platform would be great!)
Kott
Established Member

Re: VST for playing sf2?

Post by Kott »

https://github.com/Birch-san/juicysfplugin

Maybe it will work for you. You can build it for Linux by self or use openSUSE binaries: https://software.opensuse.org/download/ ... alia%3Adaw
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

Maybe you are looking for the calf-fluidsynth plugin? (part of the `calf-plugins` package on Ubuntu/Debian).
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

tseaver wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:38 am Maybe you are looking for the calf-fluidsynth plugin? (part of the `calf-plugins` package on Ubuntu/Debian).
He wants a VST not an LV2 and this is a still gaping hole in Linux plugins, I remember many years ago using the native Linux version of EnergyXT and there were no functional LinuxVST's to host SF2's (EnergyXT Soundfont loading was half broken as well) it's kind of unbelievable that there is only really Carla which is a phenomenal host but way too large and complex to simply host a single Soundfont in a shared project.

I second the call for a super simple Linux VST2 wrapper for fluidsynth that would work on old and new hosts... pretty please?! No JUCE, no fancy GUI just a file loading front door and exit ports for fluidsynth.. Perhaps Rui's Qsynth in a VST leisure suit?
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:39 pm I second the call for a super simple Linux VST2 wrapper for fluidsynth that would work on old and new hosts... pretty please?! No JUCE, no fancy GUI just a file loading front door and exit ports for fluidsynth.. Perhaps Rui's Qsynth in a VST leisure suit?
What is wrong with kott's proposal? Because of juice? There is also linuxsampler that can be used with Rui's Qsampler.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

antiesen wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:18 pm
GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:39 pm I second the call for a super simple Linux VST2 wrapper for fluidsynth that would work on old and new hosts... pretty please?! No JUCE, no fancy GUI just a file loading front door and exit ports for fluidsynth.. Perhaps Rui's Qsynth in a VST leisure suit?
What is wrong with kott's proposal? Because of juice? There is also linuxsampler that can be used with Rui's Qsampler.
I missed Kott's second link, OpenSUSE packages are a format I know nothing about... the main project's github said Linux support was broken right now. Linuxsampler is worse than Carla for portability and cross platform projects..even carla doesn't use it any more. I'm talking about something like Ardour's 'a-fluidsynth' plugin except in a VST not an LV2.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:34 pm
I missed Kott's second link, OpenSUSE packages are a format I know nothing about...
It's just a compressed directory like .deb. You can extract the vst-binary with a decompression program.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

Of course, it would be best if a talented programmer helped port the current version to linux. :wink:
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

antiesen wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:18 pm
I missed Kott's second link, OpenSUSE packages are a format I know nothing about...
It's just a compressed directory like .deb. You can extract the vst-binary with a decompression program.
I was clicking on the repository 'yml' files... haha what a dummy!

I see the binary rpms below now... I can handle those!
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

GMaq wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:20 pm
I was clicking on the repository 'yml' files... haha what a dummy!
Don't say that - I clicked it the first time too ... :roll:
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

antiesen wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:18 pm
I couldn't get the .so file to load on a DAW on my 18.x Ubuntu system. I tried a few things, like renaming libraries, gave up and just deemed continuing to use Carla less of a hassle.

Yeah, there definitely should be a decent sf2 VST player for Linux. It's just weird that there isn't, considering how many other projects using fluidsynth there are.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Well I gave it a quick try on AVL/MX/Debian and Ardour blacklists the VST and the standalone doesn't run because it was built against a different version of libfluidsynth.. anyone using the VST Plugin in Ardour? or using it on a Deb/buntu system?

Are there clear source code instructions for Linux anywhere? If the build environment isn't too challenging I would take a run at a Deb/buntu package.. I will say I've never had much luck compiling JUCE projects in the past, I'm assuming this can't be built without some kind of JUCE development libs on the host system.. (this is why I am not super keen on JUCE... fun for developers, miserable for packagers)
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Yep, it build with fluidsynth 2.1.5. Looks like it better to take that dependency static.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi Kott!

First of all thanks for all your work on this, despite the problems getting it to work so far your efforts are appreciated!

At the risk of being laughed out of this forum is there any possibility of a 32bit plugin binary? If you are not able to build 32bit binaries is there any possibility of getting source code and instructions?

It's OK to laugh a little I guess.. :oops:
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

Oh, thanks!

Let me think a little. Actually I can try to build it for Debian/Ubuntu (32bit too) in openSUSE Build Service as I did for BespokeSynth: https://build.opensuse.org/package/show ... spokesynth But it requires some time.
And I can build 32bit for openSUSE

And you can surely build plugin by your own.
But you need the Projucer to regenerate Linux Makefile, included Makefile maybe works but has webkit dependency which better to exclude.

I see JUCE packages for unstable/testing:
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/ju ... les-source
https://packages.debian.org/bullseye/juce-tools

Also JUCE 5.4.7 available for Ubuntu 20.x https://packages.ubuntu.com/en/source/focal/juce

These packages are "VST2-enabled"

So, if you gonna to step in - welcome, I'll help with compiling.