ALO (live midi looper) in Carla

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hellocatfood
Established Member

ALO (live midi looper) in Carla

Post by hellocatfood »

I'm working on a live performance setup using Carla and various plugins. In looking for a midi looper I came across ALO https://github.com/devcurmudgeon/alo which was built for MOD devices.

I'm trying to get it to work with Carla but it's not showing up in the plugin list. Has anyone had any luck getting it to work?
milkii
Established Member

Re: ALO (live midi looper) in Carla

Post by milkii »

I made this yesterday and got it loaded in Carla, not that I tested the looping.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

hellocatfood
Established Member

Post by hellocatfood »

ah, great. I should have mentioned that I'm running all of this on Ubuntu, so I'm not sure if I can use your Arch package. Do you have compilation instructions?
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

It will not work for you, but you can see the build instructions by clicking on the View PKGBUILD link in the top right. (I thought i might have to package mod-plugin-builder to build it for about twenty seconds, but it's just a make in the source dir for the standard basic plugin)

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

hellocatfood
Established Member

Post by hellocatfood »

Thanks for that, really helpful!

It turns out I needed to install lv2-dev kxstudio-lv2-extensions mod-sdk-lv2 lv2lint and then make worked. Now just to see if the plugin works!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

As far I know ALO is a audio looper, not a midi looper.
If you looking for a live midi looper, you could try Mamba https://github.com/brummer10/Mamba
Not a plugin, but you could load it in carla anyway.
On the road again.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

I should properly update the dependencies on the PKGBUILD. Glad you got it built :)

hellocatfood
Established Member

Post by hellocatfood »

Got it to work in Carla too! I don't think carla allows mapping plugin controls to midi yet but that's ok for now.

Also realised that this isn't a midi loop as a I thought but is a regular sampler. Not a bad thing but I'll have to continue my search for a midi recorder/looper.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

In Carla, one can assign MIDI (or CV) to controls in the plugin Edit dialog.

For MIDI looping, check sequencer64 and the on-going rewrite seq66.

hellocatfood
Established Member

Post by hellocatfood »

For MIDI looping, check sequencer64 and the on-going rewrite seq66.
I'm chaining together several programs and so need something that can receive a clock source (i.e. a plugin). As far as I'm aware Seq64/66 can't do this.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

If you wish to sync multiple apps/plugins, JACK Transport? Which sequencer64/seq66/Carla/etc. supports. Or do you mean/need something different?

hellocatfood
Established Member

Post by hellocatfood »

I'm using TidalCycles as my main sequencer. Using Carabiner (Ableton Link implementation) I can synchronise it with Carla. Seq 64 doesn't update its BPM when it's changed in Carla/Carabiner.

ALO is already able to get it's hosts BPMs and so I'm after a plugin like ALO but for recording and looping midi.
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

Are the sequencer64 JACK Transport options set up? Needs a restart after changing.

Does its BPM change when only it and Carla are in the picture and Carla is Transport leader?

I don't see why it (Ableton Link tempo driving JACK Transport tempo) shouldn't work in principal. Probably worth opening an issue if it doesn't.

hellocatfood
Established Member

Post by hellocatfood »

I've done a lot of searching since the last post and one of the things I found was that piz did make/were making a midi looper plugin: https://web.archive.org/web/20180329184 ... midiLooper. It can still be downloaded but only for Windows and MacOS

Source code for a lot of their plugins is here and KXstudio does have a lot of the plugins available but annoyingly the source for the looper isn't available :-(
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

See also my notes; https://wiki.thingsandstuff.org/MIDI#MIDI_looping plus the Sequencer page.

I looked far and wide for what you're looking for. I still think trying to drive JACK Transport from Ableton Link is your best bet. sequencer64/seq66 is the only MIDI looping app with adequate MIDI control features (Giada doesn't have as much ability to control it from MIDI hardware)