Ghost notes with Drumgizmo snareRest and snare sounds?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

DrumTimo
Established Member

Ghost notes with Drumgizmo snareRest and snare sounds?

Post by DrumTimo »

Hello everyone!

How do I configure Drumgizmo to play "snareRest" samples when I hit the snare softly and "snare" samples when hitting harder?

First time on this forum, drummer since 1982. Been making noises with Linux since the first releases of Planet CCRMA and now exploring AVLinux as a platform. I own an acoustic drum kit I can no longer play due to tinnitus and a Yamaha DTXpressII electronic kit. The Yamaha drum sounds are getting old but the MIDI interface of the kit is all right, so I thought I'd find a good drum sampler to play with it. After some googling I found drumgizmo, and I am i total awe! For the first time in years I get to play with real acoustic drum sounds and near real touch and feel. What a great sampler drumgizmo is!

While playing the DRSkit, Muldfjord3 and others I found my snare technique does not quite fit to the way drumgizmo is working. Drumgizmo puts the SnareRest and Snare sounds on different pads of the kit, which feels very unnatural to me and playing ghost notes next to impossible. I tried to edit the snare.xml files to use the "snareRest" samples when playing softly and the "snare" samples with higher velocity or force. Did not work, only plays snare anyway. This has to be a FAQ, but I could not find a tutorial on how to do this. I would be really happy if someone could give me some advice on how to tweak the Drumgizmo kits to support playing ghost notes on the snare.

Timo