Guitarix for professional use

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

buscon
Established Member

Guitarix for professional use

Post by buscon »

hi all,

I have been using Guitarix for a year and I find it an amazing software, the sound quality can be really good.
My main interest in sound is about jazz / clean sounds, so I did not experiment much with distortion and effects.

To my ears, Guitarix sounds professional. I have experience in sound design and I played guitar for many years, I used to have a tube amp. I never used professional amp simulations such as Kemper or Axe Fx, so I was curious to hear what other people think about it.
Did anyone compare the sound quality of Guitarix with other professional sims?
Basslint
Established Member

Re: Guitarix for professional use

Post by Basslint »

Don't know much about the proprietary alternatives but I wanted to say that if it sounds good to your ears, don't let yourself be influenced by what people say. Aside from the fact that there are many astroturfers on the web, in the end what matters is that the music you make matches your artistic vision. Brain May played most Queen songs on an handmade guitar and some legendary bluesmen played on very cheap instruments, including cigarbox guitars!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Hi @buscon

If you like to meat some people using guitarix professional, or semi. there is a subreddit here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guitarix/
On the road again.
buscon
Established Member

Post by buscon »

thanks for both your answers.

@Basslint: sure it is important what I consider good sound, that comes first on deciding what to use. On the other hand it is good to hear what other people, possibly professionals, have to say about it, I might discover something I do not know. Whether in the end I go that way, it's another story.

@Tramp: thanks, I will check out the reddit group
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Many amp-sim systems are heavy with content, so it is on the user to investigate
what is available, to maximise their experience. If you combine a modern
modeling amp, with an audio/effect environment like guitarix,
and are relentless with your practice regimen, the sky is the limit.

The line between informed hobbyists, and professional quality players,
is mainly drawn between the hours one can, or chooses to,
invest in practicing their intrument,
followed by learning what their software/hardware have to offer.

There are of course, inborn capabilities and desires, that can fuel
all of the above, to extreme heights, where the legends happily dwell.
Cheers
buscon
Established Member

Post by buscon »

glowrak guy wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:06 pm Many amp-sim systems are heavy with content, so it is on the user to investigate
what is available, to maximise their experience. If you combine a modern
modeling amp, with an audio/effect environment like guitarix,
and are relentless with your practice regimen, the sky is the limit.

The line between informed hobbyists, and professional quality players,
is mainly drawn between the hours one can, or chooses to,
invest in practicing their intrument,
followed by learning what their software/hardware have to offer.

There are of course, inborn capabilities and desires, that can fuel
all of the above, to extreme heights, where the legends happily dwell.
Cheers
I agree with what you say, just one comment: I meant to use guitarix as a modelling amp, while you seem to consider guitarix only as an audio/effect environment. What do you mean with that?
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

My inclusion of using a modeling amp is just my setup, not an indicator of what
guitarix and other apps can do, by themselves, or in concert. It's great fun
to build outlandish or very nuanced combos, with connectivity being so easy.
The guitarix collection begs one to employ creative gain-staging and fx chains,
from pedalboard to preamps to amps to effect-chains to cabs to final eq.

Once you having something to work with, a good modeling amp will have
from dozens to hundreds of preset or created sound sources to feed
a project's variety. It won't take long to figure out how to avoid making sonic mudd,
and then the fun begins, and using external harware is an option, more than
a fundamental.
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

I should add that in my case, the modeling amp
is also the guitar audio input device, by usb
or line-out, so it's on first base even before
the first pitch is thrown. :wink:
buscon
Established Member

Post by buscon »

ok, thanks for your clarification.
Aleks
Established Member

Post by Aleks »

There a days when Guitarix (the standalone app) sounds amazing in combination with various cab sims...and then I mess all those nice impressions by plugging into my real 25-30w custom tube combo, which is not that special, but still, there is a world of difference. I made an experiment, some week ago or so. I recorded the best setting I could get from Guitarix, Rakarrack, and then a quick micing of my amp direct into the interface and then into Ardour, moderate volume, just before it starts to break. You can't compare them. Even without reverb, the recorded amp sound had a body to it that I just can't get out of an amp sim.

But, that's just me. I like the sound of this particular guitar going into these particular stomp boxes, going into this particular amp, that's why I own them. Although, out of Guitarix suite, I like Chump amps the most. With careful gain staging, some reverb, and you get a nice clean jazz sound, that I like better than the clean sound of Bias and Amplitube, for example. But I still don't like it better than the sound of my real amp, especially turned up.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

@Aleks
Guitarix has now a PowerAmp section, which will cover a lot of the missing body
On the road again.
Aleks
Established Member

Post by Aleks »

@tramp

I am sure Guitarix is getting better and better and I am looking forward for the next Ubuntu Studio update that will bring the new version. So, don't get me wrong, Guitarix is a great software. As I said above, for a clean jazzy sound, I like it better than Bias and Amplitube, even though they are quite expensive. Especially Gx plugins, I use them a lot, like TS, Rat, reverb and delay, and of course the great Chump plugins. Those are just great no fuss quick hook up for practice or studying guitar on my laptop. For recording, I am sure Guitarix would find its use, just as any good amp sim, but I'd still prefer actual gear to record with if I would like to achieve a sound like this (rewind forward, please), I would still base my sound on an actual tube amp. Chump, and there is also a great Windows sim called Simulanalog suite, can achieve close to a clean Fender, especially with some compression before and after the amp sim, but in my opinion, there is still something lacking. I cannot put my finger on it, but it's there. Metal guys like amp sims, I guess they work for them, for a full blown distortion. But for a good clean sound, I don't know...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqta_KCp5JY
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

some clips I´ve made using guitarix:

Clean with shimmer reverb and delay: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s29crn ... sp=sharing

HIgh Gain: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s2kjPq ... sp=sharing

For the clean sound I am 100% satisfied, the high gain is still a work in progress but I guess I am getting there. Nevertheless, both sound very professional to me.

Thanks a bunch for this amazing piece of software dear Brummer and all the guitarix team, you guys rock!
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Rodney wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 4:57 pm some clips I´ve made using guitarix:

Clean with shimmer reverb and delay: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s29crn ... sp=sharing

HIgh Gain: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1s2kjPq ... sp=sharing

For the clean sound I am 100% satisfied, the high gain is still a work in progress but I guess I am getting there. Nevertheless, both sound very professional to me.

Thanks a bunch for this amazing piece of software dear Brummer and all the guitarix team, you guys rock!
Good stuff! You should contribute official presets :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Thanks Basslint!

I am still working on the HIgh hain, hopefully I`ll be able to come up with something even better. About sharing the preset, I make use of the JCM800PowA, a plugin that simulates the Power Amp section of the JCM 800, which is experimental and is not yet ready for production, therefore the Guitarix Team hasn´t released it yet. That being said, that´s the main key ingredient and definitely what makes the tone great, I could share my preset but without installing the JCM800PowA on your computer, it wouldn´t work.

Cheers,

Rodney