LSP Multiband Compressor - Am I missing something ?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

polk9
Established Member

LSP Multiband Compressor - Am I missing something ?

Post by polk9 »

Hi,

I'm actually on mastering my own project and, as usual, i like to use LSP Multiband Compressor, however, when I isolate one band (by ex : #0 band, in the basses), I still have little bit of the general mix, even in the default state of the plugin (Dry is OFF, wet is 100%).

Am I missing something ?

Thanks in advance for your help !
JamesPeters
Established Member

Re: LSP Multiband Compressor - Am I missing something ?

Post by JamesPeters »

I just tested the stereo version of the plugin, and I notice this in "modern" mode but not in "classic" mode. Can you confirm it's in "modern" mode only as well (on your computer)? I have a GitHub account, so I can report the bug to them. Also what version of the plugins are you using?
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

This is not a bug, this is a specific of how does 'Modern' mode work.
Please read the corresponding doc:
https://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&secti ... essor_mono
Modern operating mode - special operating mode that allows to look different at classic crossover-based compressors. Crossiver-based compressors use crossover filters for splitting the original signal into independent frequency bands, then process each band independently by it's individual compressor. Finally, all bands become phase-compensated using all-pass filers and then summarized, so the output signal is formed. In Modern mode, each band is processed by pair of dynamic shelving filters. This allows the better control the gain of each band
Since we can not do shelving filter with infinite gain, we use -36dB attenuation instead:
Controls - set of buttons that control the behaviour of the compressor:
* On - enables compressor assigned to the corresponding frequency band.
* S - turns on soloing mode to the selected band by applying -36 dB gain to non-soloing bands
* M - turns on muting mode to the selected band by applying -36 dB gain to it
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
JamesPeters
Established Member

Post by JamesPeters »

I had overlooked the -36dB part when I looked at the manual page earlier. :oops:
polk9
Established Member

Post by polk9 »

Thanks for your answers guys,

I tried to switch Modern Mode to Classic Mode, but i seems to not change anything about the -36dB gain. Both modes stills have the entire music in the back.
However i'm not an expert but I hear a real difference on how they act on the band, and this is interesting :) I'll try to do it with Modern Mode.
polk9
Established Member

Post by polk9 »

So, finally I decided to do this mastering with the modern mode and I don't regret it. Even if this is little bit hard at beginning to do multiband compression with the songs behind at -36dB, it works very well, thanks sadko4u for this plug-in, it rocks !!