Making own IR files for guitar amps?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tavasti
Established Member

Making own IR files for guitar amps?

Post by tavasti »

Someone said that most virtual guitar amps are IR loaders.

From that I got idea, why not capture my favourite guitar sounds as IR? I have two guitar multi-effects, and few virtual amps, cabinet modellers, etc. Would it be that simple, that I just run suitable signal thru all my favourite signal chains, and capture result, and then I have my guitar tone as one IR, which can loaded with IR loader, maybe Guitarix Convolver?

Anyone tried such?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tramp
Established Member

Re: Making own IR files for guitar amps?

Post by tramp »

tavasti wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 am Someone said that most virtual guitar amps are IR loaders.
While that is true, it is only the half story.
tavasti wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 am Would it be that simple, that I just run suitable signal thru all my favourite signal chains, and capture result, and then I have my guitar tone as one IR, which can loaded with IR loader
No, a IR file could only represent the linear part of the response from your amplifier. So, with a IR file you get a "Frame", of your amp, but you'll miss the non-linear part of it, so no saturation, clipping and distortion, no dynamics. That is the other part of the story, that is, what a virtual amp has to simulate in order to archive your amp sound. But true is, that you could turn a bad sounding simulation into a badass simulation with the help of a IR loader loading the "right" file.
On the road again.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

tramp wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:35 am
tavasti wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 am Someone said that most virtual guitar amps are IR loaders.
While that is true, it is only the half story.
tavasti wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:45 am Would it be that simple, that I just run suitable signal thru all my favourite signal chains, and capture result, and then I have my guitar tone as one IR, which can loaded with IR loader
No, a IR file could only represent the linear part of the response from your amplifier. So, with a IR file you get a "Frame", of your amp, but you'll miss the non-linear part of it, so no saturation, clipping and distortion, no dynamics. That is the other part of the story, that is, what a virtual amp has to simulate in order to archive your amp sound. But true is, that you could turn a bad sounding simulation into a badass simulation with the help of a IR loader loading the "right" file.
Ok, I was also thinking 'is it really that simple'.

Maybe I could try what kind of stuff it gives, but have to say that your explanation makes much more sense :-)

elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Semi-related to this, does anyone know of any particularly good free guitar cabinet IR files to check out, if such things exist? I've been meaning to get back to playing a bit of guitar after a long break, and I'd probably want to try out some amp sims... I have zero experience with IR stuff, so no idea where to even start looking.
Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

elcalen wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:07 pm Semi-related to this, does anyone know of any particularly good free guitar cabinet IR files to check out, if such things exist? I've been meaning to get back to playing a bit of guitar after a long break, and I'd probably want to try out some amp sims... I have zero experience with IR stuff, so no idea where to even start looking.
Guitarix is great software, start with that. No IR, but there is cabinet simulation included.

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

tavasti wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:33 pm No IR, but there is cabinet simulation included.
Oh, guitarix includes a couple of IR's, When you've load the convolver in the rack, press setup, then press file in the upcoming setup widget. In the file dialogue, select on the left side "amps" or "bands", for the included IR files and select a file. You could switch the IR files then with the scroll-wheel over the field which show the name of the loaded file in the setup widget. That works even with the convolver running.

But true, no cabinet IR's other then the ones used in the cabinet simulation.
On the road again.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

elcalen wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:07 pm Semi-related to this, does anyone know of any particularly good free guitar cabinet IR files to check out, if such things exist?
Forgot to mention, I like this ones:
https://shop.kalthallen.de/?page_id=423
On the road again.
elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

Cool, thanks! I grabbed a copy of Audio Assault's Sigma when it was free a while back, and it comes with a number of built in IRs, but I was curious about what else is out there. Should also have fairly easy access to guitarix, of course.
Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
12strings2hands
Established Member

Post by 12strings2hands »

https://v1.redwirez.com/
Has a free offering in the middle of the page.
Each CAB has 100's of samples based on Microphone type (all the typical ones: U67, SM57, Electro..Ribbons) and Mic position.
I liked it enough to purchase more. I don't know anything about the new version of Red Wire. I don't even know if they are IR's.