EZdrummer 2 working on Linux?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

hdr
Established Member

EZdrummer 2 working on Linux?

Post by hdr »

Unfortunately there is no Linux-alternative to EZdrummer:
EZDrummer alternative?
Midi drum pattern browser plugin

So I'm thinking about to buy it. But before spend money on it I would like to know if it is possible to run it on Linux (Debian 10 + Ardour 5).

Was anybody able to run it? Are there any problems or restrictions concerning functionality?
JamesPeters
Established Member

Re: EZdrummer 2 working on Linux?

Post by JamesPeters »

Drag and drop to/from Windows VST in a Linux DAW will now work in Linux using Yabridge (and Wine) as of Yabridge 3.4.0.
Last edited by JamesPeters on Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lume
Established Member

Post by Lume »

Yes, i've got it running fine as a plugin in Reaper (with Linvst, Wine Staging 5.5, AVlinux 2020).
sas300
Established Member

Post by sas300 »

Also have it working (Ubuntu studio, winehq, linvst). It almost behaves like the native win version except for midi drag n drop into the timeline. But that could also be a reaper thing, don't know. Regards sas
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

sas300 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:11 pm Also have it working (Ubuntu studio, winehq, linvst). It almost behaves like the native win version except for midi drag n drop into the timeline. But that could also be a reaper thing, don't know. Regards sas
That Drag'n'drop might be pain point. Free PowerMetalDrumKit also works, but DnD does not work, at least not in Mixbus.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

sas300
Established Member

Post by sas300 »

tavasti wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:53 pm
That Drag'n'drop might be pain point. Free PowerMetalDrumKit also works, but DnD does not work, at least not in Mixbus.
Yes not as smooth, but the last midi dropped to timeline shows in /home/user/.wine/drive_c/ProgramData/Toontrack/EZdrummer. I have a shortcut to that folder on the desktop and can drag n drop it from there.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

If it makes any difference, Steven Slate Drums 4 randomly just started working for me the other day after years of trying it with no luck. I think it must've been a WINE update. I have 5.6 (Staging) on Manjaro, BTW. It doesn't have some of the functionality when it comes to quickly finding grooves n stuff and the midi patterns that come with it are a bit meh with some of them being pretty noticeably out of time lol.. However, it has some great drum sounds (Check the expansion packs you can get for it too)! This is why I bought this one.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

The Windows version of Audacity can accept dragged midi drum clips from MT-PowerDrumkit and EZDrummer vst (and standalone versions) and then (after previewing them in the vst/standalone and then dragging them to Audacity) they can be arranged/exported in Audacity and then dragged into the Daw. It works with Ardour (and other daws).
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

And since yabridge 3.4.0, dragging-and-dropping MIDI, audio and other files also works directly from the plugin without having to use any additional software to store and save the MIDI files first. (or having to navigate to the dragged files in a file browser and dragging them over manually)
Marlon
Established Member

Post by Marlon »

Hello!
I am very interested in this topic.
I bought EZDrummer 2 years ago, but only worked in MacOs with it.
Not I changed my system to Ubuntu Studio.
I already managed it to use Kontakt 6 from Native Instruments with the help of Wine and yabridge.
Unfortunately, when I try to install EZDrummer, I get the following error message:
0518:err:process:exec_process L"Z:\\home\\marlon\\Downloads\\EZDrummer\\EZdrummer_WIN_218\\EZdrummer 64-bit.msi" not supported on this system
I also tried the 32-bit version, but it cannot be the problem, because I have a 64 bit system.
Does somebody know how to handle this?
Or should I install wine-staging?

tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

artix_linux_user wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:02 am

yeah, just do your homework.
Read the license of your sample library, then install sample robot or sampleit or I dont know how these samplewrobots are called.
This way you can get your sample library and or any hardware synth into your Linux DAW and use them as sfz.
No need for wine then anymore.
good luck

It is you who needs to do homework. I haven't ever used EZdrummer, but point in that is not plain drum sound library, but UI and features whick help you to make drum track easy way. And using drum sampled with SFZ, is it possible to have choke-feature with sfz?

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

Deleted

Last edited by Audiojunkie on Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

tavasti wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:39 am

Read the license of your sample library, then install sample robot or sampleit or I dont know how these samplewrobots are called.
This way you can get your sample library and or any hardware synth into your Linux DAW and use them as sfz.
good luck

It is you who needs to do homework. I haven't ever used EZdrummer, but point in that is not plain drum sound library, but UI and features whick help you to make drum track easy way. And using drum sampled with SFZ, is it possible to have choke-feature with sfz?

Yes, a basic choke feature is quite easy with SFZ. Check out tge Cymbal mute tutorials on sfzformat.com :)

Marlon
Established Member

Post by Marlon »

Seach on the internet the two words msi and wine - I will do now for you:
https://superuser.com/questions/1531972 ... -with-wine
To make it short, you have to install dotNET ...i mean .NET system.

This was just for the fun, now comes the pain:
oooh, who could have thought that dependency are not something linux special - all software need some prerequisites - even under hyper windows special vip operating systems.
Next time you are running into trouble on a wine session, install the C++ redistributables.
Or do it like the fart man, ooh, sorry, I meant do it like the smart man, the smart!
good luck

The funny thing is. On my other Ubuntu System I managed it with EZDrummer. Using wine-stable. Unfortunately I installed all the other things on my new System with just wine (installed from the GUI). Would be a big thing to remove wine, install wine-staging, install then EZDrummer and hope that all other plugins will install just the same way they did in the past.
Sorry for not doing "homework". Since 2 weeks a do a lot of homework i my opinion. Sitting the whole day in my room to manage it, making Linux a comfortable system for audio and video productions. Yeah, I know... somehow it sounds utopic...

Marlon
Established Member

Post by Marlon »

Unbelievable!
I looked at my Desktop - there where the executable Files of EZDrummer!
Although the shell crashed with errors while doing wine EZDrummer.
I just did the yabridge thing and successfully started EZDrummer in Reaper!
I switched on my E-drum and played some groove Jazz Rock with Ghost Notes.
No latency at all, nice clear sound. No problem! I am really surprised!
I think it's time for a TimeShift Backup now. And after this: Time for Symphonic Jazz Rock with EZDrummer and East West Quantum Leap Orchestral Bundle! :)
Thanks for the help, if there are questions, just let me know! :)