New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by AlexTheBassist »

carlv wrote:At the very least the vid illustrates the type of functionality that Alex (please correct if i'm wrong) was alluding to earlier.
That's not much close, but that plugin indeed has those algorithm switches, both for late and early reflections, which is neat if you do any sound design or just serious mixing.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

carlv wrote:Proximity by Tokyo Dawn Labs & Vladg Sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXP8ZEl4iQ
I've heard great things about Proximity, but haven't tried it. There is also Panagement, which has a native Linux version and some similar features to Proximity.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Michael Willis wrote:There is also Panagement, which has a native Linux version and some similar features to Proximity.
It's one that i haven't gotten back around to yet since they fixed a glitch. The minor drawback with it is for full functionality with delay, you pay. It's not expensive and if i didn't have Wine i'd probably pop for it and may well still down the line.. All's well.

Thx gang
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release

Post by Michael Willis »

Hi y'all, try out the update to Dragonfly Plate: Release 2.9.1-beta. This one allows you to pick from three plate algorithms called Simple, Nested, and Tank. The tank algorithm is based on STRev, and was used in the previous release (2.9.0-beta). The Simple and Nested algorithms are two variations of Freeverb3's NVerb, where they were called A and B respectively in NVerb's interface. To better hear the differences between the algorithms, crank up the decay time a bit and it will be much more obvious.
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

Hi y'all, try out the update to Dragonfly Plate: Release 2.9.1-beta. This one allows you to pick from three plate algorithms called Simple, Nested, and Tank. The tank algorithm is based on STRev, and was used in the previous release (2.9.0-beta). The Simple and Nested algorithms are two variations of Freeverb3's NVerb, where they were called A and B respectively in NVerb's interface. To better hear the differences between the algorithms, crank up the decay time a bit and it will be much more obvious.
If I haven't said it before: Michael, you rock! Tackling this kind of problem while claiming "I'm not really a programmer: I just play one on TV" is a nice schtick, but none of us are buying it.
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

tseaver wrote:"I'm not really a programmer: I just play one on TV"
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Pre-release 2.9.2-beta fixes a couple of bugs related to the High Cut and Low Cut dials: 2.9.0-beta and 2.9.1-beta would apply these two filters to the dry signal, and the plugin would often get into a state in which it would act like both the High Cut and Low Cut were turned all the way down.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Try 2.9.3-beta, it fixes another bug with the High Cut dial acting weird.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.x

Post by Michael Willis »

Now that the plate plugin has stabilized, I'm working on my other goal for v3: A stand-alone early reflections plugin. I've been wanting to do this ever since seeing Glenn Fricker's showcase in which he turned the late reverb level down to zero. The new plugin uses the same the early reflections algorithm as Dragonfly Room and Hall, but doesn't include a late reverb algorithm.

You will notice the "Reflection Type" menu, which wasn't available in the Hall or Room plugins. While digging around in Freeverb3's early reflections algorithm, I found that it contained several lists of numbers representing gain levels and delay times for different reflection patterns, but the Freeverb3 plugins only used one of those settings. I decided to expose some of the other ones, and indeed they result in quite different sounds. I made up names only vaguely related to how they sound, try them all! The one called "Concert Venue" is the one used in the Freeverb3 plugins as well as Dragonfly Room and Hall.

The color scheme is supposed to represent some of the pastel colors of early morning... I'm still trying to decide if I like it, but it will probably grow on me like the other plugins did.

Download the latest beta release here:
https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... 2.9.4-beta
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

Michael Willis wrote:early reflections plugin
Took it for a quick spin... It's in the favourites now. :D

Thanks again!
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

I just released a slight update:

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... 2.9.5-beta

The early reflections plugin has an updated color scheme and one additional reflection pattern that you can choose.
I also reduced the default modulation in most of the Dragonfly Hall presets.

Let me know if you experience any bugs; I'm getting close to calling this a v3 release candidate. Also let me know which color scheme you like more.

Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

A release candidate for v3 is now available. I moved it out of beta as an indication that I'm not going to change the plugin parameters, which means that the two new plugins will remain backward compatible in future releases.

For anybody using a somewhat older Linux distro, the release candidate binaries are more likely to work for you. I had been compiling the 2.9.x-beta releases with an Ubuntu 18.04 derivative, but I had somebody report that it didn't work on Mint 18, which is based on Ubuntu 16.04. I compiled this release candidate on Xubuntu 16.04 for better compatibility. As always, you can also compile it yourself if you want, just let me know if you need some direction.

Also the new manuals are drafted. They're not as involved as the manuals for Hall and Plate, since these new plugins are a lot more simple, but anybody inclined please take a few minutes and proofread them:

Dragonfly Plate Manual
Dragonfly Early Reflections Manual
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Michael Willis wrote:Also the new manuals are drafted. They're not as involved as the manuals for Hall and Plate, since these new plugins are a lot more simple, but anybody inclined please take a few minutes and proofread them[/url]
In the Early Reflections Manual:
"This menu presets a selection of different reflection patterns."
Should read: This menu presents a selection of different reflection patterns.

In the Plate Manual:
In the Reverb Type section it may be nice to have a quick definition or description of what "Simple Allpass," "Nested Allpass," and "Allpass Tank" mean.

Everything else I think is clear.

A couple of questions about the Early Reflections plugin: Why no spectogram? And why no knobs for the user to control the echo delays and gain levels?

Congratulations on getting a release candidate out, and thanks for the work you do to expand our Linux audio tool kit! I have an idea for a surf rock recording that the Plate reverb will be good for.
Michael Willis
Established Member

Post by Michael Willis »

Thanks for the feedback, Milo. I do agree that a better description of the three plate algorithms.
milo wrote:A couple of questions about the Early Reflections plugin: Why no spectogram? And why no knobs for the user to control the echo delays and gain levels?
I had a spectrogram in an earlier prototype, but I found that it mostly just showed a split-second burst, which didn't seem as helpful as the other plugins.

Each reflection pattern is a combination of several delays and gains, and they are baked into the early reflection algorithm from freeverb3. To see an example, look here at what it calls "preset0", which I named "Concert Venue":

https://github.com/michaelwillis/dragon ... ef.cpp#L25

This reflection pattern consists of 18 echoes for the left channel and 18 echoes for the right channel. Each echo has a different delay and gain. The algorithm does have a mechanism for allowing a customized reflection pattern, but for the sake of simplicity, I didn't want to monkey around with allowing the user to specify how many echoes per channel along with the gain and delay for each echo.
milo wrote:Congratulations on getting a release candidate out, and thanks for the work you do to expand our Linux audio tool kit! I have an idea for a surf rock recording that the Plate reverb will be good for.
Thanks! Whenever somebody talks about surf rock, I find myself trying to ignore the siren song of trying to make a spring reverb :lol: I really should set this reverb stuff aside and get back to making music.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Michael Willis wrote:This reflection pattern consists of 18 echoes for the left channel and 18 echoes for the right channel. Each echo has a different delay and gain. The algorithm does have a mechanism for allowing a customized reflection pattern, but for the sake of simplicity, I didn't want to monkey around with allowing the user to specify how many echoes per channel along with the gain and delay for each echo.
That makes sense. Hard to have 72 knobs on a single plugin. :) I guess you could make a pop-out windows like Yoshimi and the old ZynAddSubFX interface, but it's easy to get lost in all of those windows with knobs all over them.
Michael Willis wrote:Whenever somebody talks about surf rock, I find myself trying to ignore the siren song of trying to make a spring reverb :lol: I really should set this reverb stuff aside and get back to making music.
Yes. Wait until you've got a surf rock song to record! :)