New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

User avatar
AlexTheBassist
Established Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by AlexTheBassist »

merlyn wrote:You're a bullshitter and you've been caught out
Got any proof for any of these statements?
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.

User avatar
Michael Willis
Established Member
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains, North America
Contact:

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by Michael Willis »

DANGER!

I was experimenting with decay and wander turned all the way up, and got a blast of noise. I haven't been able to reproduce it, but there is some weird random noise that consistently happens with wander turned up, regardless of the decay setting. Anybody testing this out, beware.

Also, I haven't seen this much heat on a thread since the 42low episode. I know, we're musicians, we like to crank things up to 11, but is this really necessary?

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by funkmuscle »

Michael Willis wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:I've downloaded this but all I got are the Hall and room versions.
After reading this, I checked DragonflyReverb-Linux-64bit-v2.9.0-beta.tgz, and verified that it contains DragonflyPlateReverb-vst.so and DragonflyPlateReverb.lv2 ... Are you saying that your plugin host doesn't list the plate? What host are you using? I have only tested this in Ardour.
AlexTheBassist wrote:Also, a thing to consider is tail chorusing, but I don't know your level of expertise regarding DSP, nor I know at the point if it's already there in one of the algorithms.
I still don't know a lot about DSP, mostly I'm just wrapping the algorithms as they already exist in Freeverb3. If I understand correctly, the spin and wander parameters control tail chorus modulation, but I could be wrong.

For now I'm going to sidestep the ER argument by saying that the next project I want to do is a stand-alone ER plugin. With that, you could apply some ER to a signal and then send it through the plate algorithm. It looks like Freeverb3's ER algorithm has capabilities beyond what was exposed in Hibiki and ProG, so I'm interested to see what I can do with it.
my bad, downloaded the wrong one.. :mrgreen:

User avatar
bluebell
Established Member
Posts: 1331
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:44 am
Location: Saarland & Frankfurt, Germany

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by bluebell »

It would be cool having ONE Dragonfly Reverb with all the modes builtin.

There might be radio buttons for the mode: HALL - ROOM - PLATE

Selecting a mode yould grey out all knobs that are not needed in this mode.
Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – https://soundcloud.com/suedwestlicht

finotti
Established Member
Posts: 376
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by finotti »

Michael Willis wrote:DANGER!

I was experimenting with decay and wander turned all the way up, and got a blast of noise. I haven't been able to reproduce it, but there is some weird random noise that consistently happens with wander turned up, regardless of the decay setting. Anybody testing this out, beware.

Also, I haven't seen this much heat on a thread since the 42low episode. I know, we're musicians, we like to crank things up to 11, but is this really necessary?
I tried it this morning on guitars and loved it. It will be my go-to for sure!

Now, I used the Hall Reverb for practicing for a while. I used them inside Carla, with some Windows amp simulations and other plugins. Every once in a while, when I loaded the Carla session, the plugin would produce a huge noise and I had to close Carla. (I *think* the same happened with the Room too, but I'm not 100% sure.) Restarting would be OK.

The problem is that I cannot easily reproduce the problem. It's the same session and it seems random. I have no idea if it would be the plugin, Carla, or maybe something to do with the Windows plugin... (But the noise did come from the plugin.)

It never happened in Ardour, but I haven't been recording much recently...

Just FYI. I am sorry I cannot provide more details...

User avatar
AlexTheBassist
Established Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by AlexTheBassist »

bluebell wrote:It would be cool having ONE Dragonfly Reverb with all the modes builtin
So, you're pushing my idea even further. Nice, but wouldn't it make the UI too messy?
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by funkmuscle »

AlexTheBassist wrote:
bluebell wrote:It would be cool having ONE Dragonfly Reverb with all the modes builtin
So, you're pushing my idea even further. Nice, but wouldn't it make the UI too messy?
I have to agree with Alex. I like them separated because yes I could see the UI getting quite messy. On this plate Reverb so far I'm loving it.

User avatar
Michael Willis
Established Member
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains, North America
Contact:

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by Michael Willis »

funkmuscle wrote:On this plate Reverb so far I'm loving it.
Awesome! I'm considering implementing an algorithm selector. Freeverb3 has four different plate algorithms: 1 in STRev that I used for this prototype (the doc calls it an allpass tank reverb), 2 in NRev (simple allpass and nested allpass) and the original Freeverb v1 algorithm. The description of the last one seems like it doesn't sound great, so I don't know if I would include it, but it could be fun to have at least three of them in one plugin.

carlv
Established Member
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by carlv »

Sounding pretty good on a vocal in Mixbus v5. Taking a break from mixing for a bit, but left it in place to come back to. I imagine it will continue to occupy that spot.

Thanks much for your efforts !

User avatar
funkmuscle
Established Member
Posts: 2430
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:30 pm

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by funkmuscle »

Michael Willis wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:On this plate Reverb so far I'm loving it.
Awesome! I'm considering implementing an algorithm selector. Freeverb3 has four different plate algorithms: 1 in STRev that I used for this prototype (the doc calls it an allpass tank reverb), 2 in NRev (simple allpass and nested allpass) and the original Freeverb v1 algorithm. The description of the last one seems like it doesn't sound great, so I don't know if I would include it, but it could be fun to have at least three of them in one plugin.
Throw it all in man!

User avatar
Michael Willis
Established Member
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains, North America
Contact:

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by Michael Willis »

carlv wrote:Sounding pretty good on a vocal in Mixbus v5. Taking a break from mixing for a bit, but left it in place to come back to. I imagine it will continue to occupy that spot.

Thanks much for your efforts !
Nice! I have to warn you, it won't stay backward compatible during the beta releases, so if you mix a project with it right now and then download a later release, it likely won't load properly. You'll have to remove the plugin, add it to the bus again, and dial in the settings that you had.

carlv
Established Member
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by carlv »

Michael Willis wrote: so if you mix a project with it right now and then download a later release, it likely won't load properly. You'll have to remove the plugin, add it to the bus again, and dial in the settings that you had.
Uh, you got plans to go wild ? :mrgreen:

Understood. :D

User avatar
Michael Willis
Established Member
Posts: 994
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:27 pm
Location: Rocky Mountains, North America
Contact:

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by Michael Willis »

carlv wrote:Uh, you got plans to go wild ? :mrgreen:
Indubitably.

To anybody who knows DSP better than I do, does line 156 of nrev.cpp look wrong? I'm specifically wondering about the "allpassL[6]" part. Shouldn't it be "allpassR[6]"? In the block of code above that processes the left channel, all of the uses of allpass filters are from the allpassL array. Then this block of code that processes the right channel uses this allpassR array except for this one part that uses allpassL...

User avatar
AlexTheBassist
Established Member
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 3:44 am
Location: Russia, Moscow

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Michael Willis wrote:To anybody who knows DSP better than I do, does line 156 of nrev.cpp look wrong?
I don't know much about algorithms, but this looks okay. It may be there to eliminate phase issues.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.

carlv
Established Member
Posts: 143
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: New Dragonfly Reverb beta release v2.9.0

Post by carlv »

Apologies up front.

This free vst could be of use to those using Wine...

At the very least the vid illustrates the type of functionality that Alex (please correct if i'm wrong) was alluding to earlier.

Proximity by Tokyo Dawn Labs & Vladg Sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahXP8ZEl4iQ

Post Reply