CALF Audio plug-in

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

jotape1960

CALF Audio plug-in

Post by jotape1960 »

Hi! :D

I use Ubuntu Studio 19.10 and JACK Audio Connection Kit with CALF Audio Plug-ins.

I have two question about this:

1) Is there some plan to make a new version of all these awesome plug-ins, thinking to use them with surround sound (more than 2 audio channels at the same time)? ???

2) Why since a while we cannot to use these wonderful plug-ins inside Audacity? ??? Is there some way to fix this? ???

Blessings and Greetings from Chile!!!

JUAN :D

AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: CALF Audio plug-in

Post by AlexTheBassist »

jotape1960 wrote:1) Is there some plan to make a new version of all these awesome plug-ins, thinking to use them with surround sound (more than 2 audio channels at the same time)? ???
Why don't you ask developers themselves? They don't hide under an obscure company name. All the names, emails and links to resources are on their site.
jotape1960 wrote:2) Why since a while we cannot to use these wonderful plug-ins inside Audacity? ??? Is there some way to fix this? ???
There surely are ways. One of them is turning Audacity into a DAW instead of what it is and always was: an audio editor. The other would be enabling it to use LV2 plugins, which nobody has any interest in, because it's an editor, not a DAW.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Lots of people would be interested in LV2 inside audacity, probably many of the same who regularly make use of the ladspa plugins it allows. Whether the devs are interested in implementing it is another story.

Openmastering
Established Member

Post by Openmastering »

Hey there,

There might be some confusion about how you use which software. Audacity is a destructive audio editor. Calf plugins are not designed for this but for digital audio workstation.

Ardour allows you to work on multiple files with as many or as few channels as you want. Just patch the plugins there and you'll be able to use them with surround sound.
Audio mastering for open minds: https://openmastering.studio
I master music using only free/libre softwares and DIY hardware.
Contact me for a free mastering sample.

Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

jotape1960 wrote: 2) Why since a while we cannot to use these wonderful plug-ins inside Audacity? ??? Is there some way to fix this? ???
I think I read this question a bit differently than the other repliants here. Am I right to read it as "why aren't Calf plugins in Audacity anymore"?
'Cause they used to be there. In Effect, down at the bottom with the other external effects, after Wahwah.
I've used Calf in Audacity a lot. But several years ago. And with no GUI, simply generic parameters.

I initially thought the solution would be to install calf-ladspa.
But it isn't. Calf plugins don't show up anyway. Well, hardly any external effects show up there, even though LV2 and LADSPA and VST and all options are enabled.
I don't know why, unfortunately.
But I don't think the answer has much to do with Audacity not being a DAW. Because I'm also sure that Calf plugins used to be there, and now they aren't.

Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

That’s got to be down to how your Audacity was packaged. On Fedora I installed the calf lv2 plug-ins and used the add effect to add them to the list of effects.

Instant segfault after that though.