audio damage

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Re: audio damage

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

The Audio Damage downloads all have the Win, Mac and Linux versions in a single .zip -file. I don't think they really keep track of how many of their customers use Linux. :)

Honestly, I think we're most likely going to get the Linux versions from developers that either like using Linux themselves (on dual-boot machines etc.) or just like the idea of Linux and alternative ways of doing things (Chris Randall of Audio Damage has a long history of doing alternative music). We're less likely going to get Linux versions from companies whose business model is based on selling their products to commercial studios - or to bedroom studio producers who think that getting the same stuff that's used in the studios will help them reach the same production standards.

I'm glad that we have plugins from well-known companies like u-he, TAL, Audio Damage available on Linux, even if the plugins are typically described as "beta". I'm perfectly fine with that approach personally, knowing how different the distros can be and how much it poses challenges, as long as the developers aren't putting completely non-functional stuff out there.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Wasn't melodyne integrated with tracktion on windows and Mac? I'm sure the tracktion team would have been keen on getting it working with Linux (since it would have meant more tracktion licences being sold as well as those for melodyne) as I remember seeing lots of posts from excited (and then disappointed) Linux users. I honestly find that response ridiculous about the number of emails, that's hardly a measure. Probably people like me saw the tracktion thing not happen and just assume that if it wasn't going to happen then then it never will. Do they base their assumptions about the windows and Mac market on how many emails they get? It's just ludicrous and they are obviously not interested.
sjzstudio
Established Member

Post by sjzstudio »

Yes, true. That explanation is true of Celemony. They are not interested. I got a similar answer from Melda Productions. But as things start to change, attitudes can also change quite quickly. For example, if Windows 11 fails in audio…

Linux has a huge potential in terms of audio production,
I hope the right instances will begin to understand it.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

sysrqer wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:14 pm Wasn't melodyne integrated with tracktion on windows and Mac? I'm sure the tracktion team would have been keen on getting it working with Linux (since it would have meant more tracktion licences being sold as well as those for melodyne) as I remember seeing lots of posts from excited (and then disappointed) Linux users. I honestly find that response ridiculous about the number of emails, that's hardly a measure. Probably people like me saw the tracktion thing not happen and just assume that if it wasn't going to happen then then it never will. Do they base their assumptions about the windows and Mac market on how many emails they get? It's just ludicrous and they are obviously not interested.
Melodyne works fine in Wine, but it relays on ARA technology https://github.com/Celemony/ARA_SDK which is not available in Linux hosts.
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

Kott wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:46 am
sysrqer wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:14 pm Wasn't melodyne integrated with tracktion on windows and Mac? I'm sure the tracktion team would have been keen on getting it working with Linux (since it would have meant more tracktion licences being sold as well as those for melodyne) as I remember seeing lots of posts from excited (and then disappointed) Linux users. I honestly find that response ridiculous about the number of emails, that's hardly a measure. Probably people like me saw the tracktion thing not happen and just assume that if it wasn't going to happen then then it never will. Do they base their assumptions about the windows and Mac market on how many emails they get? It's just ludicrous and they are obviously not interested.
Melodyne works fine in Wine, but it relays on ARA technology https://github.com/Celemony/ARA_SDK which is not available in Linux hosts.
Don't know about Waveform, but Linux REAPER does support ARA. It's just that there aren't any native VST3 plugins that also support it. ARA support for yabridge is on my todo list for yabridge 3.5.0, but since its usefulness is currently limited to using Melodyne in REAPER I wanted to get some other things that are useful to more people (and to myself :D) done first. (there's quite a huge list of changes coming in yabridge 3.4.0, including a complete from scratch rewrite of the audio processing handling for even lower overhead)
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

I wasn't aware about Reaper, ARA and Linux. Good to know and thank You for your work!
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

Guys, does "OT" mean anything to you? :wink: