Page 1 of 2

LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:22 pm
by LinMusGuy
Where does LMMS get its effect plugins from? Are they placed in a certain directory?

lmms.png

See in the window with the red arrow.

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:28 am
by AlexTheBassist
Yes, they are in a certain directory, though they aren't tied to LMMS in any way. Why would you ever need this information?

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:46 am
by LinMusGuy
AlexTheBassist wrote:Yes, they are in a certain directory, though they aren't tied to LMMS in any way.


Ah - that must be why I couldn't find a LMMS folder with the effect plugins.

Why would you ever need this information?


I want to be able to add or remove effect-VSTs, but don't know where to do that.

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:55 am
by tavasti
LinMusGuy wrote:
Why would you ever need this information?


I want to be able to add or remove effect-VSTs, but don't know where to do that.

Edit->Settings and second category from up (directories). There you can see and change.

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:21 am
by LinMusGuy
I have already selected my VST-folder, but I don't understand what my LADSPA-folder is. See:

plugins.png

What do the two dots mean?

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:23 am
by tavasti
LinMusGuy wrote:I have already selected my VST-folder, but I don't understand what my LADSPA-folder is. See:

plugins.png

What do the two dots mean?

Two dots mean one step up, so that will be /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/ladspa

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:04 am
by LinMusGuy
Found it:

directory.png


But not where it should be:

where-is-it.png

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:17 am
by AlexTheBassist
tavasti wrote:Edit->Settings and second category from up (directories)

LinMusGuy wrote:What do the two dots mean?

tavasti wrote:Two dots mean one step up

Are you serious? I thought it's a forum, not a kindergarten.

Let me be a prophet for a second. The next question asked by this person will be: “Why my cracked Serum/Nexus/Massive/whatever won't work in LMMS? I put it into a directory that is on the list for VSTs, but it still doesn't show up, even after I rescan plugins.” Either that, or this will be: “I'm unable to write into that directory you told me where to search.”

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:54 am
by tavasti
AlexTheBassist wrote:Are you serious? I thought it's a forum, not a kindergarten.

Please stop being rude. Everybody starts with basics some day, and these days people can end up to using Linux without never using command line.

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:45 am
by rghvdberg
AlexTheBassist wrote:
tavasti wrote:Edit->Settings and second category from up (directories)

LinMusGuy wrote:What do the two dots mean?

tavasti wrote:Two dots mean one step up

Are you serious? I thought it's a forum, not a kindergarten.

Let me be a prophet for a second. The next question asked by this person will be: “Why my cracked Serum/Nexus/Massive/whatever won't work in LMMS? I put it into a directory that is on the list for VSTs, but it still doesn't show up, even after I rescan plugins.” Either that, or this will be: “I'm unable to write into that directory you told me where to search.”


You are way way out of line here .
How is this helpful?

This is not how you address people who need help. You are not the one who decides who gets help and what level of skills people need to have before they are allowed here to ask questions.

We are better than this I thought
Next time, either give a useful reply and actually help people. If you are unable to do so just refrain from answering.

tl;dr shut up alex

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:44 am
by LinMusGuy
Please let us return to the topic. Personally I am a beginner, and not ashamed about it.

I appreciate all attempt to help me. When enough answers in this topic are given, then it will probably become clear what I am to do.

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:03 pm
by rghvdberg
firstly , use the lmms version from https://lmms.io/download/#linux
currently 1.2.0rc8
it's VASTLY better, more stable than 1.0.0

https://lmms.io/documentation/Working_w ... Ti_Plugins

This is how I use vst plugins (as mentioned in above link) :
You can also browse for a specific VST dll in the Sidebars file-browser(s) My-Home or My-computer. Here you simply browse for the dll of your choice, and then just drag it into either song-editor, or Beat&Bass-editor. Again -Be patient, and let the VST load to 100%, before you continue with your project.


On linux a windows vst is typically installed to /home/<username>/.wine/drive_c/<plugin_install_dir>
<plugin_install_dir> can just about be anything I've noticed, so I created a vst dir (.wine/drive_c/vst) for this purpose.

Now the problem is the .wine dir is a hidden directory and won't show up in the lmms browser.
As a solution I made a 'symlink' to the windows vst dir.

I only know how to do this from cli, so here we go.
  • open your terminal
  • go to your lmms dir

    Code: Select all

    cd lmms
  • symlink the vst dir inside the lmms dir

    Code: Select all

    ln -s ~/.wine/drive_c/vst

Now you can simply drag and drop the vst's from the sidebar in lmms

if the vst plugin is just a .dll file without an installer you can simply put the dll in the ~/lmm/vst directory

Hope this helps.

Rob

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:34 pm
by LinMusGuy
@ rghvdberg

Thanks for your very informative answer! I currently have LMMS 1.0.0 because that version is automatically installed when you install LMMS by means of the Software Manager of Linux Mint. Do I have to remove LMMS 1.0.0 first before installing a newer version?

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:13 pm
by carlv
LinMusGuy wrote: Do I have to remove LMMS 1.0.0 first before installing a newer version?


Over on the lmms forums (https://lmms.io/forum/index.php) it's been recommended that you do so. Besides the latest version is so much better. You'll be doing yourself a favor in the long run.

Re: LMMS and its effect plugins

Posted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:58 am
by LinMusGuy
Done! But it wasn'd easy. I had to install LMMS 1.1.3 by first installing the KXStudio repository, and then installing LMMS 1.1.3 from that repository.

The Appimage didn't work, possibly because I have a 32-bit system.

Problem is that Vestige in LMMS 1.1.3 has now disappeared! :?

Also see: https://forums.opensuse.org/showthread. ... ost2834994