Page 5 of 5

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:35 pm
by Michael Willis
Please try Beta release 1.9.9.

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:54 pm
by JamesPeters
Michael Willis wrote:Please try Beta release 1.9.9.


You're not my mom.

:D

Awesome reverbs here, folks...

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:31 am
by Michael Willis
2.0.0 release candidate is now available. If no major bugs are reported, this will be promoted to an official 2.0.0 release.

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:34 pm
by carlv
Howdy Michael,

Finally got the chance to play around with this over the weekend and it sounds pretty darn good to me. And no issues...

Thanks !

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:28 am
by artofmusic
Would be kind of cool if we could model the reverb's space in 3d similar to ambiverb. Would be nice for film composers.

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:41 am
by Michael Willis
artofmusic wrote:Would be kind of cool if we could model the reverb's space in 3d similar to ambiverb. Would be nice for film composers.


Try Invada Early Reflections for that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86tqYLXYhkE

Edit: Oh, I just realized that you mean an ambisonic type of reverb. Sorry, Dragonfly won't do that, neither will Invada. Apparently Zita reverb has an ambisonic mode, but I don't know anything more about it: https://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linu ... guide.html

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:14 am
by Michael Willis
I just published a draft of the Dragonfly Room Reverb manual:

https://michaelwillis.github.io/dragonf ... anual.html

As always, feedback is welcome.

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:17 pm
by glowrak guy
For a torture test, I opened linux reaper, and chained your linux vsts on an audio track
with a UNO synth playing, then opened both standalones routed to the same synth,
then started the windows reaper in wine, loaded a plugin synth (Maxsynths Crisalys)
and chained both windows version reverbs to that, twiddling and sliding things along the way.

So atm I have two daws, 6 DragonFly reverbs, effecting a hardware synth
and a software synth, and firefox running to post the results. Sounds great,
working fine, low cpu numbers... 8)

I'm no reverb expert, but someone who is would be in hawwwgggg heavennnnnn
with fries and extra sauce :wink:

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:18 pm
by Michael Willis
glowrak guy wrote:So atm I have two daws, 6 DragonFly reverbs, effecting a hardware synth
and a software synth, and firefox running to post the results. Sounds great,
working fine, low cpu numbers... 8)

Wow... I think that is the biggest stress test that anybody has reported. I'm glad to hear it went well.

glowrak guy wrote:I'm no reverb expert, but someone who is would be in hawwwgggg heavennnnnn
with fries and extra sauce :wink:

Image

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:26 pm
by milo
Michael Willis wrote:I just published a draft of the Dragonfly Room Reverb manual:

https://michaelwillis.github.io/dragonf ... anual.html

As always, feedback is welcome.


This is very readable, and clearly explains the function of each control. The additional notes about how to listen for the differences is also really useful. Both manuals are quite good.

Sounds like it's time to update my Dragonfly Reverb plugins!

Also, maybe I missed this somewhere in the 16 pages of this topic, but could you clearly explain the difference between the two plugins - Hall Reverb and Room Reverb? Is it just that they implement different reverb algorithms? Is one better than the other for specific tasks for some technical reason, or is the difference purely subjective?

Thanks for all of your work on this. I have been using the old Dragonfly Reverb plugin for a while now and it sounds great!

EDIT: It's only 5 pages, not 16!

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:04 pm
by Michael Willis
milo wrote:Is it just that they implement different reverb algorithms? Is one better than the other for specific tasks for some technical reason, or is the difference purely subjective?

Yes, the technical difference is that they use different late reverberation algorithms. Incidentally, they both use the same early reflection algorithm.

According to Teru Kamogashira (the author of Freeverb3) the ProG algorithm makes a better room reverb, and the Hibiki algorithm makes a better hall reverb. However, I have had some people report that they like ProG as a hall reverb, and other people report that the like Hibiki as a room reverb, so really it's quite subjective. As such, I have included a small number of room presets in Dragonfly Hall, and a small number of hall presets in Dragonfly Room.

Also some people have chained both of them in one reverb bus, first the room and then the hall. I should have known somebody would try such shenanigans, but I didn't even think of it :lol: ... if you want to try it, I would suggest only including early reflection in the first one... of course that's probably subjective too 8)

milo wrote:Thanks for all of your work on this. I have been using the old Dragonfly Reverb plugin for a while now and it sounds great!

I'm really happy with how much excitement and I've gotten from the community about this project. I've mentioned this before, but in case you missed it, my primary motivation was that I wanted a decent hall reverb on Linux, and thought I may as well share it. Now the project gets hundreds of unique visitors per week according to github. I really have no clue how many people are actively using it, since there is no telemetry, but almost all of the feedback has been very positive.

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:26 am
by JamesPeters
Michael Willis wrote:Also some people have chained both of them in one reverb bus, first the room and then the hall. I should have known somebody would try such shenanigans, but I didn't even think of it :lol: ... if you want to try it, I would suggest only including early reflection in the first one... of course that's probably subjective too 8)


James "some people" Peters. :D

Yeah if you make a relatively short length/small room-size preset in Room, then feed that into Hall, it can sound really nice. It's overkill but sometimes you want a really rich reverb sound.

Re: Dragonfly Room Reverb - Testers needed

Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:57 am
by Michael Willis
JamesPeters wrote:James "some people" Peters. :D

Well, you know, I didn't want to name any names.