Yoshimi does not show up

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

folderol
Established Member

Re: Yoshimi does not show up

Post by folderol »

Some good news :D

One of Yoshimi's little band of helpers has produced a new Yoshimi 1.3.10.2 ppa for Ubuntu covering 16.4 (and a few others).
To fetch it go to: https://launchpad.net/~ichthyo/+archive/ubuntu/music

He has also done one for debian stretch which is on the same webpage.

Please remember to thank him for his work :)
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

I will look at it but i am afraid i can better nit start with it then.

I wonder why there are no more latest versions available for different distibutions like many other software programs have?
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

zoco wrote:I wonder why there are no more latest versions available for different distibutions like many other software programs have?
1604 is pretty old, and not all latest versions available for it. It is possible that your options are upgrading or building software by yourself.

1604 -> 1804 upgrade was smooth for me, no big problems there.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

16 is stlll supported and therefore current OS.
Yoshima already works under it. Is it that hard to implement the lv2 support for 16 so it remains supported as a current OS? Many other programs also do that.
So i was wondered about that.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

zoco wrote:16 is stlll supported and therefore current OS.
Yoshima already works under it. Is it that hard to implement the lv2 support for 16 so it remains supported as a current OS? Many other programs also do that.
Yes, it is supported, and fine working OS if you are happy with program versions which are there. Supported means there will be security updates for programs that are there, but there won't be new versions, with more features. If you want more recent software, you need to upgrade whole system or find individual packages / build them by yourself.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

zoco wrote:16 is stlll supported and therefore current OS.
The solution was already presented to you by folderol, just adding the ppa. If you didn't want to add a ppa to your sources, it's not to hard to download the deb file for your arch from there.
Just download yoshimi-data and the deb for your arch
https://launchpad.net/~ichthyo/+archive ... /+packages
and install them with sudo dpkg -i.
On the road again.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

tramp wrote:The solution was already presented to you by folderol, just adding the ppa. If you didn't want to add a ppa to your sources, it's not to hard to download the deb file for your arch from there.
I have misted that. I am not that good with linux and do not always understand that deeper stuff. :?
I am trying and learning and this again makes me learn more. :)

Now i am looking what package files i need. It looks like these.

Code: Select all

yoshimi-data_1.5.10.2-1ppa1~xenial_all.deb (2.1 MiB)
yoshimi-doc_1.5.10.2-1ppa1~xenial_all.deb (5.1 MiB)
yoshimi_1.5.10.2-1ppa1~xenial_amd64.deb (1000.9 KiB)

Although i am not sure about the last one as i have Intel-64 and not amd?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Yeah weird Linux naming.
amd64 is for 64 bit computers. More importantly, for 64 bit distros actually, which you probably run.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

yoshimi_1.5.10.2-1ppa1~xenial_amd64.deb (1000.9 KiB)
This is the program itself. The only reason it has the AMD prefix is that AMD were the first to produce a 64bit processor, so they get to name it! Runs without issues on either Intel or AMD 64 bit processors.

yoshimi-data_1.5.10.2-1ppa1~xenial_all.deb (2.1 MiB)
This is all the extras, banks of instruments, examples etc.

yoshimi-doc_1.5.10.2-1ppa1~xenial_all.deb (5.1 MiB)
This is a very comprehensive and detailed user guide as a PDF file - if what you're looking for is not there it doesn't exist :lol:
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

Many thanks. I will install it soon.
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

Installed everything.
The program started and all databases were in it. But still did not show up as plugin, and with this 'later' version i did not even got sound from my keyboard so eventually worse than the repositories version.

It looks like i have to give up until i have upgraded.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Well, that is very puzzling.

First of all, using it standalone. Do you get sound if you use its built-in virtual keyboard?

If not, check Yoshimi->Settings... Jack/Alsa Audio - depending on what connection type you are using.

Once you have that working. Do the same for MIDI.

For LV2 you need to go a bit deeper. You need to find where the install has placed it, against where the rest of your setup expects to find it. I can't remember the details, but there were problems at one time where a distro put things in weird locations :(

The usual places are /usr/lib/lv2 and /usr/local/lib/lv2
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

folderol wrote:Well, that is very puzzling.

First of all, using it standalone. Do you get sound if you use its built-in virtual keyboard?

If not, check Yoshimi->Settings... Jack/Alsa Audio - depending on what connection type you are using.

It did work on the vk. Not on the real one.
I checked all the settings and could not get it working. Tried this in the settings of Yoshoma itself and Jack connections without result.
With the repository version this all also worked so no benefit here. Did not try the keyboard on that version so i can not tell if that did work then. Keyboard corresponds as could be expected with computer and works perfectly with all other software.
folderol wrote:For LV2 you need to go a bit deeper. You need to find where the install has placed it, against where the rest of your setup expects to find it. I can't remember the details, but there were problems at one time where a distro put things in weird locations :(

It was not to be found on the computer.
I looked in the regular plugin directories, the Yoshima directory, and even with a full computer search nothing showed up.

I'm seriously disappointed by this. I love ZynAddSubFX and would love to use it in Ardour. Have to wait until upgrade i guess.
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Post by AlexTheBassist »

zoco wrote:I'm seriously disappointed by this. I love ZynAddSubFX and would love to use it in Ardour. Have to wait until upgrade i guess.
Then use the ZynAddSubFX itself. It's working great in Ardour.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

zoco wrote:
folderol wrote:Well, that is very puzzling.

It did work on the vk. Not on the real one.
I checked all the settings and could not get it working. Tried this in the settings of Yoshoma itself and Jack connections without result.
With the repository version this all also worked so no benefit here. Did not try the keyboard on that version so i can not tell if that did work then. Keyboard corresponds as could be expected with computer and works perfectly with all other software.
How are you trying to connect the keyboard. By default, Yoshimi will look for a Jack MIDI port. I usually, have ALSA MIDI set, then use qjackctl to actually make the link. Once you know the name the keyboard presents you can write it in the ALSA MIDI Source field, and Yoshimi wil automatically look for that when it starts.
folderol wrote:For LV2 you need to go a bit deeper. You need to find where the install has placed it, against where the rest of your setup expects to find it. I can't remember the details, but there were problems at one time where a distro put things in weird locations :(

It was not to be found on the computer.
I looked in the regular plugin directories, the Yoshima directory, and even with a full computer search nothing showed up.
Hmm, that seems as though the ppa didn't include an LV2 build. I'll check with the person who put it together.