What's the OVERDRIVE effect?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

tuzzo
Established Member

What's the OVERDRIVE effect?

Post by tuzzo »

Hello,
i was watching a tutorial based on LOGIC PRO and they use the Overdrive effect.
Is this a saturator? Do you know any plugin in GNU/LINUX that does the same thing?
Thanks
sysrqer
Established Member

Re: What's the OVERDRIVE effect?

Post by sysrqer »

I think wolfshaper might be able to do something similar.
https://github.com/pdesaulniers/wolf-shaper
zoco
Established Member

Post by zoco »

tuzzo wrote:Hello,
i was watching a tutorial based on LOGIC PRO and they use the Overdrive effect.
Is this a saturator? Do you know any plugin in GNU/LINUX that does the same thing?
Thanks
Overdrive is a common distortion for guitars. Makes the over-gained rocking guitar sound. Watch a guitar amp review on youtube and you will know what it is.

Many gnu/linux alternatives for that. I think i have somewere up to ten. To start with the Guitarix an tap plugins.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

usually you talk about saturation, overdrive and distortion.
Saturation is, when only the highest peaks in a signal get clipped, in analogue devices it happen when a device cant handle the high peaks, so they get lost at the saturation point. The device is saturated.
Overdrive is when you turn on the input gain at this stage a bit louder, so that not only the highest peaks get clipped, but nearly any high signal, this happen with a smooth curve at the clipping corners, called as well soft clipping.
Distortion is, well, turn on the gain more, so that the clipping becomes harder, the softness at the clipping point vanish and you get hard corners in the signal. This is called as well hard clipping.

The crossing from saturation over overdrive to distortion is fluently, so what one called saturation may a other call distortion.
On the road again.