run All of Guitarix as a plugin?

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

skryking

run All of Guitarix as a plugin?

Post by skryking »

Is there some way for me to run all of Guitarix as a plugin inside of Ardour instead of having to wire it up with Jack? I really like the Guitarix interface and presets but wiring it up is such a pain.

Jason
AlexTheBassist
Established Member

Re: run All of Guitarix as a plugin?

Post by AlexTheBassist »

Try using forum search. You'll be amazed by how easy it is to find appropriate answer right here.
Being creative does not imply being lazy, stupid, or illiterate.

Working in Harrison Mixbus and Ardour on KDE Neon + KXStudio.
Shupacabras
Established Member

Post by Shupacabras »

Hi
try to do it inside carla lv2
I did something similar with rakarrack
Sorry my bad english
hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

I have the same question as skryking.
AlexTheBassist wrote:Try using forum search. You'll be amazed by how easy it is to find appropriate answer right here.
I tried the forum search, but I'm not amazed by the answer. I found this viewtopic.php?f=48&t=18280&start=30&hil ... rix+plugin
It's 41 posts with quite complicated stuff.

There must be an easier way, like described in this guide in section LV2 Plugins https://libremusicproduction.com/articl ... d-guitarix

I added the GxAmplifier-X LV2 plugin to an audio track in ardour. Double-click on it should open the GUI but it doesn't - nothing happens if I doubleclick on it.
nogxgui.png
nogxgui.png (86.17 KiB) Viewed 1928 times
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

skryking wrote:Is there some way for me to run all of Guitarix as a plugin inside of Ardour instead of having to wire it up with Jack? I really like the Guitarix interface and presets but wiring it up is such a pain.

Jason
https://libremusicproduction.com/articl ... d-guitarix

tells a lot. See section "LV2 Plugins". Load gxamplifier into your DAW's guitar tracks for the basic sound and add other stuff as you like.
Worked for me in Qtractor.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

hdr wrote:I added the GxAmplifier-X LV2 plugin to an audio track in ardour. Double-click on it should open the GUI but it doesn't - nothing happens if I doubleclick on it.
bluebell wrote:Load gxamplifier into your DAW's guitar tracks for the basic sound and add other stuff as you like.
Worked for me in Qtractor.
While all guitarix plugins works in Qtractor, that isn't true for Ardour. They only work (with GUI) in Ardour, when you use Guitarix and Ardour from the same (your) distribution. When you use Ardour from ardour.org, you are lost. That's because Ardour use a very old GTK (beside other outdated library's) to build there official builds, which aren't be compatible with the GTK version used to build Guitarix by your distribution.

The way to go here is using Carla and export Guitarix as LV2 plugin. That allow to load Guitarix in Ardour using the carla-ui-bridges.
That work as well for any single plugin from guitarix.

Guitarix plugins which been known to work in any host, as they use plain X for GUI building,
been the ones from github: https://github.com/brummer10/GxPlugins.lv2
you could find there several Amp simulations beside the usual pedals (Overdrive, Distortion, Fuzz and modulators) and some Cabinet simulators.
On the road again.
hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

tramp wrote:While all guitarix plugins works in Qtractor, that isn't true for Ardour. They only work (with GUI) in Ardour, when you use Guitarix and Ardour from the same (your) distribution. When you use Ardour from ardour.org, you are lost.
I am using ardour and guitarix from the same distribution (debian 10) - it still doesn't work :(

From another computer with the same distribution it works for some reason. That's very strange.

Is it in some way possible to use guitarix as a plugin out of ardour with a GUI like or similar to the standalone guitarix version? This would include using sound presets like these https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts?apps=guitarix
My aim is to record only the dry guitar signal to ardour to be able to change the sound afterwards. That's much more flexibility than directly recording the generated sound from the guitarix standalone version.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

hdr wrote:My aim is to record only the dry guitar signal to ardour to be able to change the sound afterwards. That's much more flexibility than directly recording the generated sound from the guitarix standalone version.
A commonly used practise is to record both, the dry and the processed signal, and monitor the processed one. So you've direct feedback while playing.
Afterwards, you could use the dry signal to process it the way you like, and/or/ mix it with the processed one. That will give you the best of both.
hdr wrote:s it in some way possible to use guitarix as a plugin out of ardour with a GUI like or similar to the standalone guitarix version?

Yes, as I wrote above, Carla have a feature which allow to export a stand-alone application as LV2 plugin. It's marked as experimental, but work's very well. Only downside is that you can't use automation with such exported LV2 plugs, and state save/load becomes tricky.
viewtopic.php?t=18280
On the road again.
hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

Now I got what you mean - and how to do it, thanks :)
hdr
Established Member

Post by hdr »

tramp wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:32 am Only downside is that you can't use automation with such exported LV2 plugs, and state save/load becomes tricky.
viewtopic.php?t=18280
tricky or impossible?

If I got it right, it only worked with qtractor in the other thread. Is there any way so save the state of guitarix (as lv2-plugin) used with ardour right now?

My eardrums almost burst after starting ardour because there is a way too loud guitarix preset loaded on startup.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

hdr wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:19 pm Is there any way so save the state of guitarix (as lv2-plugin) used with ardour right now?
Yes, when you've setup the command in Carla export with the -E (hideonquit) option, just select "Hide" from the main menu, and the current settings will be saved.
On the road again.