Percussion Synthesizer

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

iurie
Established Member

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Post by iurie »

Kott wrote:Situation with VST2 is not pretty well.
You cannot distribute VST2 binaries if you haven't agreement with Steinberg, that agreement was available until November 2018 iirc.
Of course You can share your code (without VST2 SDK), which anyone "who has agreement" can compile against VST2 SDK.

Many windows DAWs supports VST3 now. In Linux there only Reaper and Bitwig and only u-he plugins works with VST3.
Ok, thank you. :) I'll check this. But I feel probably I'll keep my original plan, to have a bottom line for technologies I am going to use. So, with VST3, and leave VST2 in history. I want to develop another plugin, and I think I'll need to point to future.

For VST3 probably the idea of Steinberg is to get permission if you want to distribute proprietary plugins/hosts. If you release under GPL than you can distribute and sell your plugins. If is not like this, than I will not develop any VST.

Update: From here I see it is dual license https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3s ... ICENSE.txt, so, you can distribute and sell VST3 plugins/hosts if you release them under GPL.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

iurie wrote:Update: From here I see it is dual license https://github.com/steinbergmedia/vst3s ... ICENSE.txt, so, you can distribute and sell VST3 plugins/hosts if you release them under GPL.
That's right.
Maybe You'll be first who made opensource VST3 Synth for Linux :)
(The Surge compiles in VST3 but doesn't loads)
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

Kott wrote:Maybe You'll be first who made opensource VST3 Synth for Linux :)
(The Surge compiles in VST3 but doesn't loads)
VST3 SDK for GNU/Linux is in beta, but I'll see. Anyway, the code shuld be similar.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Kott wrote:Situation with VST2 is not pretty well. You cannot distribute VST2 binaries if you haven't agreement with Steinberg, that agreement was available until November 2018 iirc.
That's what I thought I heard at one point. So there's no choice for plugins started developing after November.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

About VST2/3, I asked Vojtech Melda Meluzzin, of Melda Production (more than a hundred plugins developed to date) and his answer is that the VST2 SDK is part of the VST3 SDK.
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

jonetsu wrote:About VST2/3, I asked Vojtech Melda Meluzzin, of Melda Production (more than a hundred plugins developed to date) and his answer is that the VST2 SDK is part of the VST3 SDK.
VST2 SDK will be removed from there with time, no more maintained and it is not under GPL, point 2 of FAQ - https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?t=286

quote: "all VST2 files (pluginterfaces and public.sdk folders) are under the "Proprietary Steinberg VST3" License"
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

iurie wrote: VST2 SDK will be removed from there with time, no more maintained and it is not under GPL, point 2 of FAQ - https://sdk.steinberg.net/viewtopic.php?t=286

quote: "all VST2 files (pluginterfaces and public.sdk folders) are under the "Proprietary Steinberg VST3" License"
Hmmm yes, was any of Steinberg VST made with their mandatory SDK GPL ? I don't think so. It means that not being under the GPL is rather meaningless when one wants to develop a Steinberg-based application, no ?

However, it might also mean that when one gets the VST3 SDK, and gets into the proper agreement with Steinberg, that the VST2 SDK is also included, which would allow (for some time) the production of VST2 applications.

That VST2 will be eventually replaced by VST3 is a certainty. The nature of comments about current use of VST2 is in the range of the interim time before it is made completley obsolete. For instance, I did not know before Vojtech's reply that the VST2 SDK was still available, inside the VST3 SDK.
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

Hi! Here (https://github.com/iurienistor/geonkick) I have the version 1.8 of Geonkick in the master branch. Also, you can download the binary for standalone and LV2 (see README). I have not released v1.8 officially but I don't think I'll make any changes after this, only if there are regressions or serious bugs reported.

Here is the list of what was done for v1.8:

New added:

* FM Synthesis (Oscillator1 -> Oscillator2) for every layer. This can be enabled or disabled per layer.
* Layer Mixer. The total output of very layer is controlled by the mixer.
* Added band-pass for filters, it has LP, BP, HP

Fixes & improvements:

* Last setting for export is saved per session
* Files list are sorted in alphabetical order, first are shown directories
* Some fixed for file extension when saving the preset
* A fix for distortion effect
* Other fixes and potential issues

I hope it will work for you. Soon I'll release also a new chillout track that uses Geonkick for most part of the percussion.
windowsrefund
Established Member

Post by windowsrefund »

Very exciting! I'm hoping to see some more tutorials if anything is out there..
mirens
Established Member

Post by mirens »

Great work! Thank you so much for this software. Linux really needed this!
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

windowsrefund wrote:Very exciting! I'm hoping to see some more tutorials if anything is out there..
Unfortunately, I don't have experience in creating video tutorials in the sens of speaking. Oratory skills are not my strongest part. I thought I can add a robotic voice, technically it solves well the problem but that is too impersonal, and I am not sure this is a good idea. Thus, probably I'll leave this adventure for those who have experience in this. :)
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

Hi! I've made some videos (without voice) how to synthesize a Kick, Hit-Hat and Snare with Geonkick. Hope someone will find it useful. Of cousre, you can play with parameters and get better results. There is also a Purdie Shuffle example too.
URL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yr6Jm00 ... 8Cf1upcWwY
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Hello Iurie, sorry for the bump, I actually wanted to come back on this thread to compliment you for the quality of geokick's code, it's very readable C++!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

Basslint wrote:Hello Iurie, sorry for the bump, I actually wanted to come back on this thread to compliment you for the quality of geokick's code, it's very readable C++!
Hi! Thank you! I wish I could have time for commenting more the code. I tried to comment at least some sensible points. If you know Qt, that the code will seem to you familiar. Geonkick was done first in Qt, and since I didn't want to change too much the code to replace Qt, I've made Redkite GUI toolkit interface close Qt.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

iurie wrote:
Basslint wrote:Hello Iurie, sorry for the bump, I actually wanted to come back on this thread to compliment you for the quality of geokick's code, it's very readable C++!
Hi! Thank you! I wish I could have time for commenting more the code. I tried to comment at least some sensible points. If you know Qt, that the code will seem to you familiar. Geonkick was done first in Qt, and since I didn't want to change too much the code to replace Qt, I've made Redkite GUI toolkit interface close Qt.
What did you find problematic about Qt? You were using straight Widget-based Qt IIRC. Do you think QML would have solved some of those issues?

I'm thinking about writing an LV2 plugin with an interface made in QML which comunicates via OSC to the sound engine, so that the GUI and audio part are well separated. Your opinion as a much more experienced developer would be much appreciated :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!