Percussion Synthesizer

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

d.healey
Established Member

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Post by d.healey »

iurie wrote:LinuxSampler does all this. I am not looking to develop an SFZ player, my goals are different.
LinuxSampler is not free software unfortunately. HISE is though, and the sampler engine is available separately and might be a good base for your own project.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

tripomatic wrote:Looks Very good! Gonna try it out one of coming days .
Vst plugin would always be welcome :-).
Hi! Thank you. Yes, I'll add this task there. :)
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

d.healey wrote:LinuxSampler is not free software unfortunately. HISE is though, and the sampler engine is available separately and might be a good base for your own project.
I have question. Who is developing the SFZ? Or everyone does what they want?... Because if I read from Wikipedia

Code: Select all

The SFZ format isn't maintained by a single company or group, and supported features can vary between individual synthesizers. The official page at the Cakewalk web-site is no longer available, however descriptions of the SFZ opcodes can be found on various websites. 
I don't know if it is a standard.
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

iurie wrote:I don't know if it is a standard.
The original format was very loosely defined and since then each developer has added their own opcodes. What will probably become the eventual standard is the opcodes used by the Aria engine.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

A percussion synth is much needed! Thank you. Hope you will be making a LV2 port soon :wink:
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

Basslint wrote:A percussion synth is much needed! Thank you. Hope you will be making a LV2 port soon :wink:
I am working now to developing a small GUI toolkit for my projects in order to replace Qt from Geonkick, thus, enabling to develop for LV2. Common toolkits are not good for audio plugins.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

iurie wrote:
Basslint wrote:A percussion synth is much needed! Thank you. Hope you will be making a LV2 port soon :wink:
I am working now to developing a small GUI toolkit for my projects in order to replace Qt from Geonkick, thus, enabling to develop for LV2. Common toolkits are not good for audio plugins.
Don't LV2 hosts automatically provide a default GUI? That might speed up development a lot.
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Maybe you could consider porting or rewriting your plugin with the Disthro PLugin Framework?

https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF

You would get all kind of plugins formats for many systems, as well as a standalone version. And it also makes the GUI creation simpler.
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

Basslint wrote:Don't LV2 hosts automatically provide a default GUI? That might speed up development a lot.
Default GUI provided by the hosts are generic, I don't think you can develop sophisticated GUI interfaces with it.
nilshi wrote:Maybe you could consider porting or rewriting your plugin with the Disthro PLugin Framework?

https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF

You would get all kind of plugins formats for many systems, as well as a standalone version. And it also makes the GUI creation simpler.
Yes, I know the framework, studied the code. I just want to make things differently and have fun. :)
loxstep
Established Member

Post by loxstep »

iurie wrote:
windowsrefund wrote:Thank you so much for your work! Listening to "A Moment of Childhood". Beautiful... I'd love to know more about your tool selection and workflow.
Hello, thank for you encouragement, also those form PM! I am using only free software on GNU/Linux. Here you can find (and are the only) tools I am using to compose: http://geontime.com/resources/

The workflow varies, it depends of what I want to do. Mostly using Ardour to compose, but sometimes MuseScore to create the basic ideas.
Are there any particular tracks of yours that make use of Geonkick? I haven't installed it yet to try out, but I'm curious what kind of sounds it can make.
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

loxstep wrote: Are there any particular tracks of yours that make use of Geonkick? I haven't installed it yet to try out, but I'm curious what kind of sounds it can make.
My tracks are mostly downtempo, no so percussive, and I used it only to make some shakers and some kicks recently. But here [1] is my first test with Geonkick, apart from pads and piano every percussive sound is made with it. It depends of the experience, but to synthesize more realistic snare there is a need to add some more features, some suggestions was made to add more noise layers, and I also I am thinking that there is a need to add some feedbacks for filters and something else.

[1] - http://geontime.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... k_test.ogg
iurie
Established Member

Post by iurie »

Here I have released the version 1.5 of Geonkick percussion synthesizer that now is based on Redkite GUI toolkit I have developed. It is free software released under GPLv3.

Version 1.5 includes the following new features:

LV2 plugin
multi-layers (3 layers)
oscillators phase modification

Improvements:

using Redkite GUI toolkit instead of Qt, thus, enabling proper LV2 support
non-blocking audio thread, using atomic operations and kind of ring buffers
on modifying parameters no glitches
non blocking GUI when using long kicks, times like 4 seconds

Source code: https://github.com/quamplex/geonkick/

Here also a quick track I composed the last two days using Geonkick for percussion: https://soundcloud.com/geontime/building-a-new-world

Now I'll start the next cycle to continue the development of VST3/Windows, maybe after a month or two to release VST3.
Hope you'll find it useful... and hope it works for you.

Iurie
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

This is great news!
I'll try to compile it today, if I find the time.
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

iurie wrote:Here I have released the version 1.5 of Geonkick percussion synthesizer that now is based on Redkite GUI toolkit I have developed. It is free software released under GPLv3.

Version 1.5 includes the following new features:

LV2 plugin
multi-layers (3 layers)
oscillators phase modification
Looks great. I was just about to post 'is there any plugin drumsynth' :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

very good! as there not so many drumsynths on Linux