Percussion Synthesizer

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby d.healey » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:13 pm

iurie wrote:LinuxSampler does all this. I am not looking to develop an SFZ player, my goals are different.

LinuxSampler is not free software unfortunately. HISE is though, and the sampler engine is available separately and might be a good base for your own project.

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:07 pm

tripomatic wrote:Looks Very good! Gonna try it out one of coming days .
Vst plugin would always be welcome :-).


Hi! Thank you. Yes, I'll add this task there. :)

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:42 pm

d.healey wrote:LinuxSampler is not free software unfortunately. HISE is though, and the sampler engine is available separately and might be a good base for your own project.


I have question. Who is developing the SFZ? Or everyone does what they want?... Because if I read from Wikipedia

Code: Select all

The SFZ format isn't maintained by a single company or group, and supported features can vary between individual synthesizers. The official page at the Cakewalk web-site is no longer available, however descriptions of the SFZ opcodes can be found on various websites.


I don't know if it is a standard.

User avatar
d.healey
Established Member
Posts: 100
Joined: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby d.healey » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:37 pm

iurie wrote:I don't know if it is a standard.

The original format was very loosely defined and since then each developer has added their own opcodes. What will probably become the eventual standard is the opcodes used by the Aria engine.

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby Basslint » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:06 pm

A percussion synth is much needed! Thank you. Hope you will be making a LV2 port soon :wink:

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Basslint wrote:A percussion synth is much needed! Thank you. Hope you will be making a LV2 port soon :wink:


I am working now to developing a small GUI toolkit for my projects in order to replace Qt from Geonkick, thus, enabling to develop for LV2. Common toolkits are not good for audio plugins.

Basslint
Established Member
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:25 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby Basslint » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:23 pm

iurie wrote:
Basslint wrote:A percussion synth is much needed! Thank you. Hope you will be making a LV2 port soon :wink:


I am working now to developing a small GUI toolkit for my projects in order to replace Qt from Geonkick, thus, enabling to develop for LV2. Common toolkits are not good for audio plugins.


Don't LV2 hosts automatically provide a default GUI? That might speed up development a lot.

nilshi
Established Member
Posts: 268
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby nilshi » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Maybe you could consider porting or rewriting your plugin with the Disthro PLugin Framework?

https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF

You would get all kind of plugins formats for many systems, as well as a standalone version. And it also makes the GUI creation simpler.

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:56 pm

Basslint wrote:Don't LV2 hosts automatically provide a default GUI? That might speed up development a lot.


Default GUI provided by the hosts are generic, I don't think you can develop sophisticated GUI interfaces with it.

nilshi wrote:Maybe you could consider porting or rewriting your plugin with the Disthro PLugin Framework?

https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF

You would get all kind of plugins formats for many systems, as well as a standalone version. And it also makes the GUI creation simpler.


Yes, I know the framework, studied the code. I just want to make things differently and have fun. :)

User avatar
loxstep
Established Member
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:40 am

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby loxstep » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:58 am

iurie wrote:
windowsrefund wrote:Thank you so much for your work! Listening to "A Moment of Childhood". Beautiful... I'd love to know more about your tool selection and workflow.


Hello, thank for you encouragement, also those form PM! I am using only free software on GNU/Linux. Here you can find (and are the only) tools I am using to compose: http://geontime.com/resources/

The workflow varies, it depends of what I want to do. Mostly using Ardour to compose, but sometimes MuseScore to create the basic ideas.


Are there any particular tracks of yours that make use of Geonkick? I haven't installed it yet to try out, but I'm curious what kind of sounds it can make.

iurie
Established Member
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:38 pm

Re: Percussion Synthesizer

Postby iurie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:47 am

loxstep wrote:Are there any particular tracks of yours that make use of Geonkick? I haven't installed it yet to try out, but I'm curious what kind of sounds it can make.


My tracks are mostly downtempo, no so percussive, and I used it only to make some shakers and some kicks recently. But here [1] is my first test with Geonkick, apart from pads and piano every percussive sound is made with it. It depends of the experience, but to synthesize more realistic snare there is a need to add some more features, some suggestions was made to add more noise layers, and I also I am thinking that there is a need to add some feedbacks for filters and something else.

[1] - http://geontime.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... k_test.ogg


Return to “Plugins, Effects and Instruments”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests