Carla/SFZero transpose problem

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Quirq
Established Member

Carla/SFZero transpose problem

Post by Quirq »

I've just discovered today that there's a problem with SFZ support in Carla -- I guess this is a problem with the move to SFZero and that it's SFZero that doesn't support SFZ properly. The last time I used Carla with these SFZ instruments was many, many months ago and everything was working fine.

Basically, the problem is that transpose isn't being honoured. This was working fine months ago and updating Carla half an hour ago hasn't fixed the problem. I've loaded the instruments in LinuxSampler and they are working as expected, that is, some of the samples are being transposed as indicated in the .sfz files. In Carla the samples are all playing at the same pitch, that is, transpose is being ignored.

Cheers
Michael Willis
Established Member

Re: Carla/SFZero transpose problem

Post by Michael Willis »

I think it is fairly well known that SFZero does not fully support all of the SFZ opcodes that are supported by LinuxSampler. SFZ is one of those troublesome formats in which different sample players have implemented all sorts of non-standard features, and some of which later become de facto features.

Furthermore, we could easily get into yet another merry-go-round argument (not uncommon around here) about how LinuxSampler isn't sufficiently free because it has a clause in its license about how you are not allowed to sell it.
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

It wasn't known to me. Sample pitch/transpose seems to me a pretty basic, fundamental feature of any sampler/sample format. To not support it when it exists seems a critical oversight -- I'm sure there will be lots of sample sets that aren't based on full multisampling and hence use pitching where SFZero is basically useless. I just want to use tools that work.

It's a shame. I love Carla, it's a brilliant, one-stop solution but with this regression I won't be able to use it for drum programming. It's meant that I've actually had to install LinuxSampler where I otherwise wouldn't have used it.

Well, you're the one who mentioned the war, but I think you got away with it... :lol:
noedig
Established Member

Post by noedig »

If the SFZ you're using isn't too complicated, you could try converting it to an SF2 soundfont with Polyphone, which you can then easily load with Carla or one of the other Fluidsynth plugins.
Even if it reduces some fidelity, it's still a convenient temporary middleground to easily use the samples, and you could eventually switch to Linuxsampler when mixing down.