Sitala drum plugin

All your LV2 and LADSPA goodness and more.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

scottwheeler
Established Member

Re: Sitala drum plugin

Post by scottwheeler »

I'm not sure then, perhaps it needs some of the files from the standalone program. I installed with the deb so perhaps try putting the other files in the locations they would have gone.
It's more likely that it needs some of the libraries that it relies on installed, as that's what a deb package ensures. It's also unlikely that all of those would be available on Gentoo or any other non-Debian based distro. You can verify this by doing something like:

Code: Select all

$ ldd libsitala.so | grep 'not found'
But again, unfortunately, as a general rule, you can't move Linux binaries across different distributions and expect them to work.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

ldd libsitala.so | grep 'not found'
ldd: Warnung: Sie haben kein Ausführungsrecht für `./libsitala.so'
	libcurl-gnutls.so.4 => not found
I don't expect to, I'm just trying. Often it works, often it doesn't. 50/50% No panic. :-D
Thanks for the Linux support of your software!

I try rebuild net-misc/curl with the gnutls flag
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in both Ardour and Mixbus (latest version of both) it appears on the Blacklist...

[INFO]: VST Blacklist:
/home/*****/.vst/libsitala.so
scottwheeler
Established Member

Post by scottwheeler »

ldd: Warnung: Sie haben kein Ausführungsrecht für `./libsitala.so'
libcurl-gnutls.so.4 => not found
If that's the only thing that's not found, then there's a pretty good chance of actually getting it working. You'll need to install libcurl. Specifcially Sitala requires all of the dependencies listed in the .deb:
Depends: libasound2 (>= 1.0.16), libc6 (>= 2.27), libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.2), libfreetype6 (>= 2.2.1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.0), libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.35.8), libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.0.0), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2), libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37 (>= 2.15.1), libx11-6, libxext6
Often it works, often it doesn't. 50/50%
A lot of projects distribute binaries that work across a number of Linuxes by linking them statically. Unfortunately, that also falls foul of the LGPL, so in most cases using static linkage violates the licenses of the libraries that they're using (unless they're also shipping object files to allow the application to be re-linked, which I've never seen happen).
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

Yes often it is quite easy .... ugly hacks ;-)

I have entered in the "/etc/portage/package.use"

net-misc/curl gnutls
gnutls.

# emerge -a1v curl

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] net-misc/curl-7.63.0::gentoo  USE="ipv6 ldap ssl threads -adns -brotli -http2 -idn -kerberos -metalink -rtmp -samba -ssh -static-libs -test" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)" CURL_SSL="openssl -gnutls -libressl -mbedtls -nss (-winssl)" 0 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 KiB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] no
Only he doesn't want it ... first of all espresso and a cigarette.
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

sysrqer wrote:I'm not sure then, perhaps it needs some of the files from the standalone program. I installed with the deb so perhaps try putting the other files in the locations they would have gone.
Probably. There are "(drum? )kits" in the .deb in the folder /usr/share/sitala/kits/. Maby the .so searches for those files in that particular directory. I put libsitala.so in my VST dir (i.e. ~/vst/). Carla complained that this VST needs more than 2 channels (i.e. more than stereo). Usually than means you can forget about it.

Extracted the windows VST from that darned msi file. Appears to need XILS because it comes with it (dunno what Xils is anymore...). I can't use the VST (i.e. the DLL) either. Forget about it. Too complicated to get to work.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Linuxmusician01 wrote:
sysrqer wrote:I'm not sure then, perhaps it needs some of the files from the standalone program. I installed with the deb so perhaps try putting the other files in the locations they would have gone.
Probably. There are "(drum? )kits" in the .deb in the folder /usr/share/sitala/kits/. Maby the .so searches for those files in that particular directory. I put libsitala.so in my VST dir (i.e. ~/vst/). Carla complained that this VST needs more than 2 channels (i.e. more than stereo). Usually than means you can forget about it.

Extracted the windows VST from that darned msi file. Appears to need XILS because it comes with it (dunno what Xils is anymore...). I can't use the VST (i.e. the DLL) either. Forget about it. Too complicated to get to work.
Did you try the command that scottwheeler suggested?

Linuxmusician01
Established Member

sysrqer wrote:
Linuxmusician01 wrote:

Did you try the command that scottwheeler suggested?

Good proposal. Here goes:

./libsitala.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by ./libsitala.so)
./libsitala.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by ./libsitala.so)
./libsitala.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./libsitala.so)
./libsitala.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./libsitala.so)
	libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37 => not found
Do you think that Carla won't find the Sitala Linux vst because of this? My distro is quite old but I'm most definitely NOT going to upgrade for this...
scottwheeler
Established Member

Post by scottwheeler »

carlv wrote:On Ubuntu 18.04 LTS in both Ardour and Mixbus (latest version of both) it appears on the Blacklist...

/home/*****/.vst/libsitala.so
Did you actually install the .deb or just extract the files from it? (Asking since the VST is in a different directory than the package would install it in.) Just extracting the files from it isn't meant to work. Sitala has additional library dependencies and install additional files (the default kits, icons, etc.) which will be installed when the package is installed.

The two hosts we tested with on Linux were Ardour and Bitwig, so I'm interested in seeing what the issue turns out to be.

scottwheeler
Established Member

Post by scottwheeler »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Good proposal. Here goes:

./libsitala.so: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.27' not found (required by ./libsitala.so)
./libsitala.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.8' not found (required by ./libsitala.so)
./libsitala.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21' not found (required by ./libsitala.so)
./libsitala.so: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `CXXABI_1.3.9' not found (required by ./libsitala.so)
	libwebkit2gtk-4.0.so.37 => not found
Do you think that Carla won't find the Sitala Linux vst because of this? My distro is quite old but I'm most definitely NOT going to upgrade for this...
It's not that it "can't find it" -- it's that Sitala requires those libraries to run and your system doesn't have them. From the first couple of entries I can say, "Yes, your system is too old for this package."

A general comment that applies to Sitala or anything else that's being pulled out of a system package:

You can't just grab the binaries. If you do

$ less whatever.deb
It'll show right up at the top which libraries that package requires. Installing the deb will make sure that those libraries get installed. But if you just extract the files from it, you have to do that checking yourself. You'll need to install the required packages with your system's package manager.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

scottwheeler wrote:Sitala has additional library dependencies
Why are these dependencies on such new versions of these libs? Isn't it possible at all to run this VST w/ older versions of those libs?
scottwheeler
Established Member

Post by scottwheeler »

Linuxmusician01 wrote: Why are these dependencies on such new versions of these libs? Isn't it possible at all to run this VST w/ older versions of those libs?
Because those are the defaults for Ubuntu 18.04, and this package was only intended to work with Ubuntu 18.04.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

scottwheeler wrote:[Did you actually install the .deb or just extract the files from it? (Asking since the VST is in a different directory than the package would install it in.) Just extracting the files from it isn't meant to work.
Hey Scott, thanks and a big apology for the miss direct, because i did move the vst after the initial install and it's failure to load. That said, with everything back in it's proper place after re-installation and blacklist caches cleared, I wind up with the same. The stand-alone works just fine.

Ardour:
[INFO]: VST Blacklist: /home/..../.cache/ardour5/vst64_blacklist.txt
/usr/lib/lxvst/libsitala.so

Mixbus:

Cheers and again, thanks.
scottwheeler
Established Member

Post by scottwheeler »

carlv wrote: Hey Scott, thanks and a big apology for the miss direct, because i did move the vst after the initial install and it's failure to load. That said, with everything back in it's proper place after re-installation and blacklist caches cleared, I wind up with the same. The stand-alone works just fine.

Ardour:
[INFO]: VST Blacklist: /home/..../.cache/ardour5/vst64_blacklist.txt
Can you try running the vst scanner on the command line to see if it produces any useful output? (I'm not sure that it will, but it might help us figure out what's going on.) Here's the command:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/ardour5 /usr/lib/ardour5/ardour-vst-scanner -f /usr/lib/lxvst/libsitala.so
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

scottwheeler wrote:Can you try running the vst scanner on the command line to see if it produces any useful output? (I'm not sure that it will, but it might help us figure out what's going on.) Here's the command:.......
We get this:
bash: /usr/lib/ardour5/ardour-vst-scanner: No such file or directory